1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 May '18 13:471 edit
    So after a few rejections over the years, I finally ate my first silk worms. Normally they're served whole, and the whole idea of breaking through the shell thingy kinda put me off. This time they were served halfed, deep fried, and flavoured with dried chillies and mustard seeds.

The kinda tasted like mustard, chilli and whatever else they were flavoured with. Not much to them really. When they were being "sold" to me in the past it was always said that they were high in protein, and three of them had the protein of an egg. Prefer an egg.
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    31 May '18 13:57
    Originally posted by @huckleberryhound
    So after a few rejections over the years, I finally ate my first silk worms. Normally they're served whole, and the whole idea of breaking through the shell thingy kinda put me off. This time they were served halfed, deep fried, and flavoured with dried chillies and mustard seeds.

The kinda tasted like mustard, chilli and whatever else they wer ...[text shortened]... said that they were high in protein, and three of them had the protein of an egg. Prefer an egg.
    Were they an expensive dish?
    Did they go down silky smooth, threading their way into your gullet with a repeating pattern of delight?
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    31 May '18 15:16
    i read the thread,
    decided to eat an egg...
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    31 May '18 17:05
    I'll eat anything deep fried and crispy
  5. RSA
    Moves
    31 May '18 18:311 edit
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    Even a hideous cockroach?

If I see a cockroach I might cry. I have bugophobia.
  6. RSA
    Moves
    31 May '18 18:321 edit
    Originally posted by @huckleberryhound

The kinda tasted like mustard, chilli and whatever else they wer ...[text shortened]... said that they were high in protein, and three of them had the protein of an egg. Prefer an egg.
    No thanks I'll stick to the eggs
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 May '18 19:09
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    LOL...You may want to re-think that statement. 😉

-VR
  8. Standard memberLEUR
    TEXAS
    STATE OF THE HEART
    Moves
    31 May '18 21:02
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    LOL...You may want to re-think that statement. 😉

-VR
    When I started working I was only 17 years old, fresh out of High School...the big prank thing back then was chocolate covered ants...brought some to the office...offered some to everyone at morning break and waited till most had tried a few before telling what it was...one of the women gagged and ran to the rest room...dang near got me fired.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 12:36
    Originally posted by @leur
    When I started working I was only 17 years old, fresh out of High School...the big prank thing back then was chocolate covered ants...brought some to the office...offered some to everyone at morning break and waited till most had tried a few before telling what it was...one of the women gagged and ran to the rest room...dang near got me fired.
    SEARCH
    TERMINIX TERMINIX BLOG WHAT'S BUZZING 7 COUNTRIES WHERE INSECTS MEAN A GREAT MEAL
    7 COUNTRIES WHERE INSECTS MEAN A GREAT MEAL
    If you travel the globe, you may notice that the human relationship with insects varies widely from country to country.
    cockroaches

Some people cringe at the sight of cockroaches, while others enjoy eating cockroaches as an appetizer. Most of us here in the United States aren't entomologists or people who eat bugs, but we can certainly appreciate the many different cultures that do embrace insects in their cuisine.

Let's take a virtual tour of the world and sample a few different cultural perspectives on bugs as food.

Related — Eating Bugs: An Environmental Solution
    countries where eating bugs is common graphic

Mexico
    Of course, Mexican cuisine offers such beloved staples as tortillas, beans, chili peppers and chorizo. But travel to certain regions of the country, and you can also find ant eggs soaked in butter, chocolate- covered locusts and candy-covered worms. Worms even make their way into a popular type of Oaxacan alcohol called mezcal. If you find yourself at an authentic Mexican fiesta, you're likely to find some insects lurking on your dinner plate or in your glass.

Brazil
    Each October and November, winged queen ants, or içás, descend on a small Brazilian town called Silveiras. Citizens collect the ants, remove their wings, and either fry them or dip them in chocolate. Why chocolate? The bugs supposedly taste like mint, so the combination is a no-brainer. The town even has an arts and crafts center devoted to the bug-eating tradition. There, you can buy just about any item adorned with the image of the queen ant.

Ghana
    Bugs account for up to 60 percent of dietary protein in the rural African diet. For many people in Ghana, eating termites can be an important means of survival. The insects provide crucial proteins, fats, and oils, especially when other food sources are in short supply.

Thailand
    Forget about peanuts and pretzels — many bars in Thailand serve fried bugs alongside their libations. Crickets, grasshoppers and a variety of worms are all considered favorite snacks in this part of the world. If you're on a date in Thailand, grab your sweetie a handful of insects to snack on as you refill her Thai tea.

China
    Larvae are big in this Asian country. You can sample roasted bee larvae or fried silkworm moth larvae — both rich in copper, iron, riboflavin, thiamin and zinc. While you're picking out that beautifully embroidered silk dress or jacket, consider that the same silkworms you had with lunch helped make it happen. They can produce 500 to 1,200 silken threads in 72 hours.

The Netherlands
    Some Dutch citizens are trying to bring bug-eating culture to their home country by making chocolate infused with ground mealworms. The Dutch are all about being culturally diverse and receptive to foreign influences, so eating insects is right up their alley.

The United States
    Surprise, surprise. You've probably seen reality TV shows where contestants are challenged to consume bugs — an idea which thoroughly disgusts many Americans. But if you've ever worn red lipstick or eaten red candy as a snack, you've likely ingested the insects used to produce that red dye, called cochineal.

Bugs certainly possess nutritional benefits, and many other countries acknowledge and appreciate their unique flavors. Still, you don't exactly want bugs inviting themselves into your home (or onto your plate) uninvited. If you've got a bug problem and you aren't planning to serve the creepy-crawlies for dinner, contact Terminix. We'll help you keep the bugs in their place — outside your home.
  10. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 13:30
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    SEARCH
    TERMINIX TERMINIX BLOG WHAT'S BUZZING 7 COUNTRIES WHERE INSECTS MEAN A GREAT MEAL
    7 COUNTRIES WHERE INSECTS MEAN A GREAT MEAL
    If you travel the globe, you may notice that the human relationship with insects varies widely from country to country.
    cockroaches

Some people cringe at the sight of cockroaches, while others enjoy eating cockroa ...[text shortened]... s for dinner, contact Terminix. We'll help you keep the bugs in their place — outside your home.
    So the hound has been feasting on worms of silk
    But there is more protein in a glass of milk
    With your chopsticks pick up the worm
    I just hope that it did not squirm
    When in China be of Chinese ilk.
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '18
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 14:21
    I'll try eating anything at least once, though I am fairly sure my own biases would make the experience of eating bugs rather unpleasant. Still, if the chance pops up I'll give it a shot.
  12. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    01 Jun '18 16:15
    Originally posted by @kolland
    I'll try eating anything at least once, though I am fairly sure my own biases would make the experience of eating bugs rather unpleasant. Still, if the chance pops up I'll give it a shot.
    Come back when you have eaten roach
    Come by car or plane or coach
    Or go and eat a giant spider
    Wash it down with sweet cider
    Fry it boil it grill or even poach.
  13. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 07:09
    Originally posted by @kolland
    They serve dog meat in most Korean restaurants here. I politely declined out of principal. Pretty open otherwise.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 14:22
    W H A T?
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 16:49
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Even a hideous cockroach?

If I see a cockroach I might cry. I have bugophobia.
    Sure, already have once in Thailand. Grasshopper is quite nice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree