1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 12:36
    1. Don't touch others with your body or belongings.

2. Avoid eye contact. Look down as a prisoner going to the gallows.

3. Let the closest person to the buttons to press first their button. Then, either say your floor in a polite tone or - if space allows - press the button yourself.

4. Don't fart.

5. Don't sneeze.

6. When waiting elevator at ground floor, when the elevator gets down with other people, wait until some of them open the door. You never open the door from outside when someone is in there.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 13:35
    Originally posted by vandervelde

3. Let the closest person to the buttons to press first their button. Then, either say your floor in a polite tone or - if space allows - press the button yourself.

4. Don't fart.

5. Don't sneeze.

6. When waiting elevator ...[text shortened]... until some of them open the door. You never open the door from outside when someone is in there.
    When I enter an elevator I strike up a conversation, sometimes even when there's no one else in the elevator....they usually have cameras and I imagine what whoever watches them is thinking when they see my chat with no one.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 13:37
    Fun thread 🙂
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 23:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 06:15
    Alfred Hitchcock used to tell creepy stories whenever he got in one with a friend. He'd describe some murder scene and make sure to leave the story in midair when he got out. Since I read that I've tried it myself, the reactions are always interesting.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 06:20
    I work in a hotel and ride the elevator regularly. I usually engage the guests in small talk. When I am not at work I seldom say more than a casual greeting when on an elevator.
  7. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '13 06:29
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I work in a hotel and ride the elevator regularly. I usually engage the guests in small talk. When I am not at work I seldom say more than a casual greeting when on an elevator.
    I have friends who don't voluntarily enter elevators or narrow spaces. If they had been forced to use them, small talk with a calm person would help a lot.
  8. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 16:071 edit
    I always act like I'm lost and can't find the exit.

By the way, you can fart in an elevator. You have to own it though. No fair blaming it on the passenger next to you. Let them know there's plenty more where that one came from.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 16:53

4. Don't fart.

5. Don't sneeze.

6. When waiting elevator ...[text shortened]... until some of them open the door. You never open the door from outside when someone is in there.
    Don't press all the buttons when you leave!

At the local hospital if you press the wrong floor, you can press all 5 floors then and it will reset for you to press the right one.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 17:16
    I like to conduct one half of a conversation. It usually takes a few minutes of tutting and rolling of eyes before people realise that I'm not wearing a hands-free phone thing, then they give me plenty of elbow room.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Nov '13 22:01
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I like to conduct one half of a conversation. It usually takes a few minutes of tutting and rolling of eyes before people realise that I'm not wearing a hands-free phone thing, then they give me plenty of elbow room.
    I like gentle stuff like that, from either side, because a) I'm shy, introspective, non-social, and generally uncomfortable; and b) I believe in confronting my comfort zones. On elevators, I've asked strangers for a high-five (almost always get one, except sometimes in hospitals or court-houses). Paper/rock/scissors is fun too (for what? bragging rights!).

Thanks! Go have a good day, hurry up!
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '13 22:13
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    I always act like I'm lost and can't find the exit.

By the way, you can fart in an elevator. You have to own it though. No fair blaming it on the passenger next to you. Let them know there's plenty more where that one came from.
    Welcome back, Frank, we've missed you. 😉
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '13 22:38
    Back when I was young and aggressive and travelled in elevators, I would occasionally face the rear of the elevator and pretend to make eye contact. People would actually get out before their floor rather than deal with that invasion of their personal space.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Nov '13 23:04

4. Don't fart.

5. Don't sneeze.

It only really gets uncomfortable on an elevator once it becomes so crowded that everyone's "personal space" becomes violated. But even then, we still endure it because we're all in the same boat and to make a ruckus would be foolhardy in such a confined space.

Same with subway cars.

But I still semi-loudly proclaim the floor I want as I enter ( "Four, please" ), I assume this is standard procedure unless the car is so empty that I can press the button myself.
  15. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Dec '13 20:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Welcome back, Frank, we've missed you. 😉
    Thank you!! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree