1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    29 May '17 08:22
    Today is the anniverary of the first succesful climbing of Mount Everest aka Sagarmatha or Chomolungma.

And the Mountain is in the News again. A lot of People try to reach the summit.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 May '17 12:17
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Today is the anniverary of the first succesful climbing of Mount Everest aka Sagarmatha or Chomolungma.

Mt. Everest is a peculiar beast. It 'speaks' to people. The desire to reach the summit seems to contradict personal well being. Some climbers would be okay with losing limbs to frostbite....just to summit.

I compare this to each person's own personal life, because we all have a 'Mt. Everest', something that we would be better off avoiding....but it 'speaks' to us, and we can't help ourselves, we climb it anyway.

What's your Mt. Everest?
  3. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    30 May '17 03:43
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Mt. Everest is a peculiar beast. It 'speaks' to people. The desire to reach the summit seems to contradict personal well being. Some climbers would be okay with losing limbs to frostbite....just to summit.

I compare this to each person's own personal life, because we all have a 'Mt. Everest', something that we would be better off avoiding....but it 'speaks' to us, and we can't help ourselves, we climb it anyway.

What's your Mt. Everest?
    there is a shortcut that I take everyday but it means that I must cut across a busy street and have already been hit once
    I often wonder if saving 5 minutes is worth it but it's like the hole in the fence speaks to me
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '17 03:48
    Ha? Sagarbloodymatha or Chomobloodylungma?? The very suggestion that the mountain should be called after anything or anyone OTHER than a C19th British civil servant is utterly monstrous.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 May '17 05:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ha? Sagarbloodymatha or Chomobloodylungma?? The very suggestion that the mountain should be called after anything or anyone OTHER than a C19th British civil servant is utterly monstrous.
    Hear, hear.
    After all, the British invented mountains.

I would of course support a UN initiative to rename it Mt Hillary.
  6. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 May '17 05:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Quite right old chap, quite right...
    But let's be quite clear - you mean, surely, an ENGLISH civil servant, eh what?
    Not that Scotchmen are not entirely without use of course - I'm told at the club that they make damn' fine pheasant beaters, eh?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '17 05:54
    Originally posted by Larkie
    Quite right old chap, quite right... But let's be quite clear - you mean, surely, an ENGLISH civil servant, eh what?
    I was just being politically correct, that's all.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 May '17 07:02

Mouna Kea is taller. And it has never been climbed from the bottom!
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 May '17 21:09
    Originally posted by apathist
    Mouna Kea is taller. And it has never been climbed from the bottom!
    It might be longer from bottom to top but it's not taller.

I've seen Everest from the Indian side, anyone who tries to climb it is a bit mental imo.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 May '17 21:18
    Originally posted by Trev33
    It might be longer from bottom to top but it's not taller.

I've seen Everest from the Indian side, anyone who tries to climb it is a bit mental imo.
    Someone who is 2m tall standing in a 50cm hole is still taller than a 1.8m man beside him.
    (Even though the 1.8m man is higher)
    🙂

Of course Everest is not even the highest if measured from the centre of the Earth.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 May '17 21:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Someone who is 2m tall standing in a 50cm hole is still taller than a 1.8m man beside him.
    (Even though the 1.8m man is higher)
    🙂

Of course Everest is not even the highest if measured from the centre of the Earth.
    Ins't it a volcano that's highest from the centre of earth?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 May '17 22:19
    Ins't it a volcano that's highest from the centre of earth?
    It's somewhere on the equator ... the "bulge" makes it "higher".
    It could be a volcano.

Unless you beat me to it I'll look it up in the next 24 hours.w
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 May '17 01:43
    It's somewhere on the equator ... the "bulge" makes it "higher".
    It could be a volcano.

Unless you beat me to it I'll look it up in the next 24 hours.w
    Chimborazo in Ecuador 😲

I passed trough Riobamba about 9 years ago but the weather was so bad I couldn't see it very well.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 10:12
    Hear, hear.
    After all, the British invented mountains.

I would of course support a UN initiative to rename it Mt Hillary.
    I dunno...
    How many people would really want to admit they'd mounted Hillary?

Wait a tic.
    I think you found the cure!
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 10:14
    Chimborazo in Ecuador 😲

I passed trough Riobamba about 9 years ago but the weather was so bad I couldn't see it very well.
    I dropped trough once in Bangladesh, but I'm not sure it was equivalent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree