1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 09:172 edits
    Tides. Lets see the rationalization about tides.

For instance, sun tides.

You can take a very accurate scale, put a 100 Kg weight on it, monitor it throughout the day and you will find that 100 Kg, 100,000 grams, will vary from midnight to noon by about 17 grams, about 2/3 of an ounce. It works every day, every night, take a piece of lead 100,000 grams worth, use a scale accurate to 1 gram and that is exactly what you will find.

That is only the sun tide. Lunar tides are much stronger, making the entire ocean pump up and down on a daily basis.

Explain THOSE two things on a non-spinning Earth with the sun extremely close and the moon even closer. Good luck.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html

I'll even post a FE forum on the subject:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=36843.0
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 12:02
    Come come, sonhouse, haven't you figured out the true reason why the Earth is round? It's so humans can't see the goal at the start of the journey. If they could, they would get too discouraged to even start. That's why the goal is over the horizon, just beyond our vision, and that's why the Earth is bent. See, it's really a proof of God's infinite wisdom that the Earth was created round. Nothing to do with tides. [/sarcasm]
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 13:002 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Come come, sonhouse, haven't you figured out the true reason why the Earth is round? It's so humans can't see the goal at the start of the journey. If they could, they would get too discouraged to even start. That's why the goal is over the horizon, just beyond our vision, and that's why the Earth is bent. See, it's really a proof of God's infinite wisdom that the Earth was created round. Nothing to do with tides. [/sarcasm]
    Tell that to Freaky then. I don't care about 'reasons'. I only care to dissuade those who are living a thousand years in the past. I say 1000 years because 3000 years ago, they already KNEW Earth was round. It was the religious asssholes who decided the bible says Earth is flat, with a bit of stupid logic, and for that bunch, you better not talk out against it since they ruled the western world ATT.

Gallileo was put under house arrest for daring to say stuff like that.

With the bible belt states gaining ground, it is not a forgone conclusion the flat asssers are going to lose.

It can happen again, we are not immune to the stupidities of the past, all that crap can come back and bite us in the ass again.

Look at what happened to Iran, the Ayatollah, completely took over a secular country and now look at them. Back to the tenth century.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 13:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Tides. Lets see the rationalization about tides.

For instance, sun tides.

You can take a very accurate scale, put a 100 Kg weight on it, monitor it throughout the day and you will find that 100 Kg, 100,000 grams, will vary from midnight to noon by about 17 grams, about 2/3 of an ounce. It works every day, every night, take a piece of lead 100,000 gram ...[text shortened]... a FE forum on the subject:

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=36843.0
    Gee, sonhouse: I'm starting to get a little hopeful for you!
    You keep putting some serious effort into unflinching research and you're bound to come to the same conclusion as others who have done the same, namely, all physical evidence and facts based upon the same point to one indisputable conclusion: the earth ain't a sphere.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 13:041 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Gee, sonhouse: I'm starting to get a little hopeful for you!
    You keep putting some serious effort into unflinching research and you're bound to come to the same conclusion as others who have done the same, namely, all physical evidence and facts based upon the same point to one indisputable conclusion: the earth ain't a sphere.
    So show my YOUR rational. Good luck explaining that. Come on, you can call up a fake sub moon if you want.

BTW, that 'research' was my own thinking, I didn't even know other folks had brought up the same issues. Still makes it deadly for flatassers.

Tides just prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Earth spins. No matter how you want to de-spin it. You will only prove it to yourself since it now falls under the catagory of religion not even CLOSE to science. It is at the level of faith for you and as such no matter what science arguments we put up, it would never reach you, a thousand reasons why Earth is round would never reach you.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 13:34
    I only care to dissuade those who are living a thousand years in the past...
    With the bible belt states gaining ground, it is not a forgone conclusion the flat asssers are going to lose.
    It can happen again, we are not immune to the stupidities of the past, all that crap can come back and bite us in the ass again.
    Look at what happened to Iran, the Ayatollah, completely took over a secular country and now look at them. Back to the tenth century.
    While I agree with you that it would be disastrous if people beholden to a bronze-age superstition were to get into positions involving the power to 'push the button' (assuming such a button really exists), it is nonetheless a dangerous business to disabuse people of their delusions. Self-righteousness, rage, and a right to keep and bear arms, is a toxic cocktail; you wouldn't want that to boil over, now would you? Let them have their museum in KY where they trot out their so-called evidence that evolution never happened and that humans and dinosaurs co-habited a flat Earth a mere 6,000 years ago. I doubt whether anyone who actually believed that could get elected POTUS. He would be pilloried in the press before he got far.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 13:49
    While I agree with you that it would be disastrous if people beholden to a bronze-age superstition were to get into positions involving the power to 'push the button' (assuming such a button really exists), it is nonetheless a dangerous business to disabuse people of their delusions. Self-righteousness, rage, and a right to keep and bear arms, is a toxic co ...[text shortened]... lly believed that could get elected POTUS. He would be pilloried in the press before he got far.
    You mean if we succeed in dissuading people from those superstitious belief's you think they will go nuts somehow, attack Starbucks with an AK 47 or some such? I don't think things would go that far for the vast majority of those people who hold such belief's.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:26
    You mean if we succeed in dissuading people from those superstitious belief's you think they will go nuts somehow, attack Starbucks with an AK 47 or some such? I don't think things would go that far for the vast majority of those people who hold such belief's.
    If a person is once persuaded that the eternal fate of his immortal soul depends upon his believing certain propositions to be true, such as that the Earth is flat or is 6,000 years old, it is evident that he will tend to view countervailing evidence and counter-arguments with a particular bias, compared with a person for whom neither the proposition nor the putative evidence nor any argument has any such existential implication.

So, trying to dissuade them by citing reasons and evidence isn't going to have the desired effect (for you anyway) of disabusing them of their false ideas. It is only going to make them implacably hostile to anyone who entertains what they think of as ideas which are incompatible with their existential concerns.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 16:20
    If a person is once persuaded that the eternal fate of his immortal soul depends upon his believing certain propositions to be true, such as that the Earth is flat or is 6,000 years old, it is evident that he will tend to view countervailing evidence and counter-arguments with a particular bias, compared with a person for whom neither the proposition nor the ...[text shortened]... o entertains what they think of as ideas which are incompatible with their existential concerns.
    But it's so much FUN🙂 Seriously, I suppose you are right. The evidence is thousands of years of theology where every religion says IT is the only true religion and all others are fake. Of course the others say the same about their religion so the fight goes on. And on. And on, ad nausium.

About the flat earth thing Freaky says he saw with his own eyes some city across the water from Chicago or nearby supposedly hundreds of miles away and since (he thinks) atmospheric conditions could never do that, ergo, Earth is flat.

All the other arguments I put forth, Coriolis effect, Antarctica views from space (NASA lies about EVERYTHING, of course that means the Russians, Chinese, Israeli's, and all the other countries launching satellites are all in on the big conspiracy too. You know he thinks satellites are faked also? GPS comes from ground stations and when I pointed out GPS works just fine in the middle of the Pacific ocean where there are no ground stations at all, that doesn't phase him. and so forth and so on.)
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 07:25
    But it's so much FUN🙂 Seriously, I suppose you are right. The evidence is thousands of years of theology where every religion says IT is the only true religion and all others are fake. Of course the others say the same about their religion so the fight goes on. And on. And on, ad nausium.

About the flat earth thing Freaky says he saw with his own eyes ...[text shortened]... cean where there are no ground stations at all, that doesn't phase him. and so forth and so on.)
    "...GPS works just fine in the middle of the Pacific ocean where there are no ground stations at all,.."

But there is no ground in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! So the earth has to be flat so that the GPS will work. Either that or the towers are very very tall. Or maybe they figured out how to bend signals like how light bends. I heard once that radio signals bounce off the atmosphere. Maybe that's how they do it. But no, that isn't necessary because the earth is flat anyway. But wait, the earth is round, so maybe they do bounce the signals off the atmosphere, or they built really tall towers.

Atmosphere? Shouldn't that be atmoflat? I mean, like really you know! 😉
  11. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 07:41
    Does anyone seriously believe there are flat earthers on a chess site?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 09:55
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    FreakyGBH is an avowed flatasser.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 10:39
    Flatness is required in chess sir.

Playing on a spherical board is mighty problematic.
  14. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 10:46
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Flatness is required in chess sir.

Playing on a spherical board is mighty problematic.
    Magnets...because science
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 11:18
    Magnets...because science
    I have always found magnets rather attractive.

😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree