1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 21:391 edit
    @moonbus said
    I assure you, no hacker is interested in who you really are as a person. But take a look at the following article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46136513

The gist is that social media platforms are being exploited as a feeding ground for a pseudo-service sector economy based on disinformation. It's not who you are that matters; it's attracting "click-bait" which ...[text shortened]... est-facebook-alternatives/

I don't do any of them. My real friends know how to reach me w/o that.
    Thank you, I will look into this and others will too, I'm sure.
    I use FB to stay in touch with mostly my family and a few personal friends. Sometimes I share things with them - never controversial or upsetting - music, booktitles, interesting art or beautiful scenery. I have no FB-friends I haven't met in real life - not because I have felt any risk doing so, I just don't use it to make acquaintances.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 22:51
    @torunn said
    Thank you, I will look into this and others will too, I'm sure.
    I use FB to stay in touch with mostly my family and a few personal friends. Sometimes I share things with them - never controversial or upsetting - music, booktitles, interesting art or beautiful scenery. I have no FB-friends I haven't met in real life - not because I have felt any risk doing so, I just don't use it to make acquaintances.
    I use WhatsApp to stay in touch with family and friends. It has the advantage of end-to-end encryption, and you can have group- or one-to-one sessions.

In Germany, there is a new platform, similar to WhatsApp, called ginlo, also end-to-end encrypted and the servers don't keep records of sessions or of encryption keys.

However, Australia has recently enacted legislation to try to break end-to-end encryption. If the law is not over-turned there, other countries may follow. Stay tuned.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree