1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 10:241 edit
    Has anyone here been getting duplicate friendship requests from existing FB friends? I foolishly responded to a second request only to realise too late. As a result I’ve deleted my account.

The ID that was hacked was that of a RHP friend.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 10:27
    @drewnogal
    I avoid FB problems by not having an account.

Apparently it is becoming quite "trendy"!
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 10:331 edit
    @wolfgang59

I did a bit of research into this and read that an account holder can now access a button ( in settings ) that will reveal all of the information that Facebook holds about them. Apparently this informatiion can then become accessible by the hacker?

I haven’t used this facility as didn't know it existed.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 11:35
    @drewnogal said
    Has anyone here been getting duplicate friendship requests from existing FB friends? I foolishly responded to a second request only to realise too late. As a result I’ve deleted my account.

Yes, this happened to me a couple of months back and to my sister just a few days ago. (She put up a post warning people not to accept the new friend request, and I deleted accordingly).
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 11:38
    @drewnogal said

That is something that has been going on for a long time. Think about it why would an already existing friend request to be your friend? Why wouldn't you ask them some questions to ensure it really was them?

-VR
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 12:232 edits
    @very-rusty said
    That is something that has been going on for a long time. Think about it why would an already existing friend request to be your friend? Why wouldn't you ask them some questions to ensure it really was them?

-VR
    This just shows how stupid some people can be!! When I got the first request I checked my friends list as was sure the person was already a friend and then ignored it. With the second request I thought that maybe there was a problem the other end so accepted it.

Immediately after friending the person he/she gave me a ‘Messenger wave’ which I fortunately did ignore as this would have given access to my own and all of the phone numbers of my friends.

I got Facebook to unfriend the hacker within 10 minutes and deleted my account.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 13:04
    @drewnogal said
    @wolfgang59

I did a bit of research into this and read that an account holder can now access a button ( in settings ) that will reveal all of the information that Facebook holds about them. Apparently this informatiion can then become accessible by the hacker?

I haven’t used this facility as didn't know it existed.
    Going back a few posts in this thread... what kind of information can be revealed about us? What information do they have?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 14:11
    @drewnogal said

I was just about to send you a “friend” request!
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 14:14
    @drewnogal said
    I got Facebook to unfriend the hacker within 10 minutes and deleted my account.
    Your Facebook account is only suspended, I’m not sure if you can actually delete it.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 17:11
    @divegeester said
    I was just about to send you a “friend” request!
    Ha ha ha, just as well we weren’t FB friends. 🙂
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 17:18
    @divegeester said
    Your Facebook account is only suspended, I’m not sure if you can actually delete it.
    Facebook have given me 30 days to change my mind. After that it will disappear altogether which saddens me a bit because I set it up when I started at RHP it in order to get to know a few friends here a bit better. They have given me the chance to save a lot of the contents of which I have just saved my pictures. I don’t want to create any risks for my FB friends so I will delete it. I may set up a new account or may not.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 17:381 edit
    @divegeester said
    Yes, this is a fundamental weakness of FB security: you cannot really delete everything from their servers. They only make it not 'readily' available. But, as several recent hacks have proven, the data are all still on their servers and can be recovered, sometimes by unauthorised personnel. Buyer beware.
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 17:41
    @torunn said
    Going back a few posts in this thread... what kind of information can be revealed about us? What information do they have?
    A FB friend of mine could have access to my FB friends and what we chat about in threads, where I live, I work, what I may be doing on a particular day and time and where I may be going. As a hacker they could fool my friends into thinking they were chatting to me if I gave them access to becoming a Messenger contact where they accessed phone numbers to chat online. If I was in the habit of paying for things via FB they may be able to access that?

I imagine the hacker has their own motive for doing what they do? One dreads to think what they could get up to where minors are concerned; thus the reasons why I have never included young memebers of my extended family to be FB friends.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 17:411 edit
    @moonbus said
    Yes, this is a fundamental weakness of FB: you cannot really delete everything from their servers. They only make it not 'readily' available. But, as several recent hacks have proven, the data are all still on their servers and can be recovered, sometimes by unauthorised personnel. Buyer beware.
    Can you tell me what there might be to recover? Do FB have access to anything other than what I, or people I know, have posted there?
    Edit: I have not added my telephone number.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 17:50
    @drewnogal said
    A FB friend of mine could have access to my FB friends and what we chat about in threads, where I live, I work, what I may be doing on a particular day and time and where I may be going. As a hacker they could fool my friends into thinking they were chatting to me if I gave them access to becoming a Messenger contact where they accessed phone numbers to chat online. If I w ...[text shortened]... d; thus the reasons why I have never included young memebers of my extended family to be FB friends.
    Correct.

The motives may be diverse, but one of them is identity theft for the purpose of making money. People leave so many virtual trails behind them these days.... You probably have many accounts elsewhere (amazon, or whatever). If three or more such accounts get hacked, thieves can string the threads together and glean enough information about someone to get a name from one account, credit card number from another, a birthdate from a third, and so on--pretty soon, a hacker has enough information to open a bank account at an online bank (no personal visit required), take out a loan, disappear with the money, and you get the bill. Identity theft is a multi-billion dollar business world wide. There is a conference every year in Davos, just up the road from where I live, devoted to combating it. Hardly a week passes without some major player losing control over his database. They always say no personal details were divulged, you just have to change your password; don't you believe it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree