General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    197396
    03 Nov '15 21:32
    Mister Popper's Penguins
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    04 Nov '15 00:01
    One of Enid Blyton's Noddy books ~ the only lasting impression I have of it is the feeling of satisfaction in reading the last page (it wasn't a picture book as such). The first book I ever read that I still remember the content of - and that had a great impact on me at the time - was Anne Holm's "I Am David". The first book I ever read end to end without stopping was Geoffrey Household's "Rogue Male".
  3. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    55945
    04 Nov '15 02:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    One of Enid Blyton's Noddy books ~ the only lasting impression I have of it is the feeling of satisfaction in reading the last page (it wasn't a picture book as such). The first book I ever read that I still remember the content of - and that had a great impact on me at the time - was Anne Holm's "I Am David". The first book I ever read end to end without stopping was Geoffrey Household's "Rogue Male".
    I think the first 50 or so books I read were Enid Blyton. I think The Boy Next Door was the first. Still have all my childhood books which my children, and hopefully in the future my grandchildren will read.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    04 Nov '15 02:471 edit
    Pablo Neruda's 20 Poems of Love. Age 5.

    You're all plebs.
  5. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    55945
    04 Nov '15 02:50
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Pablo Neruda's 20 Poems of Love. Age 5.

    You're all plebs.
    Explains why you are the way you are. Were you ever just a child?
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    04 Nov '15 02:53
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    Explains why you are the way you are. Were you ever just a child?
    Time to tone down the obsession with me, kid. The forum
    is big and there's no need to stalk.

    And, surely, there are other things to do in the Queen's prison island,
    like comic conventions and anime clubs.
  7. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    197396
    04 Nov '15 03:01
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Pablo Neruda's 20 Poems of Love. Age 5.

    You're all plebs.
    were you able to masturbate at such a delicate age?
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97209
    04 Nov '15 03:09
    Dick and Jane's book...See Spot Run, first read by me in the early, and I mean early, 1950's.
  9. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    55945
    04 Nov '15 03:10
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    were you able to masturbate at such a delicate age?
    Lemondrop.......you the man !!!!

    I'll enjoy this post before it's removed. Very cheeky!
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Nov '15 06:36
    'Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes'
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326099
    04 Nov '15 08:07
    The first "long" book I ever read, one with chapters as opposed to reading short stories in a book, was Enid Blyton's "The Secret Island". I was six.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326099
    04 Nov '15 08:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It does.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35782
    04 Nov '15 12:26
    The first "grown-up" book I ever read completely by myself was "The Swiss Family Robinson" by Johann David Wyss. The next was "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell.
  14. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    55945
    04 Nov '15 12:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The first "grown-up" book I ever read completely by myself was "The Swiss Family Robinson" by Johann David Wyss. The next was "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell.
    I loved the book Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid. It made me want to be deserted on an island myself. The movie however was just plain ugly. Just didn't come anywhere near cutting it.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52781
    04 Nov '15 21:244 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The first "grown-up" book I ever read completely by myself was "The Swiss Family Robinson" by Johann David Wyss. The next was "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell.
    Also Swiss Family Robinson and then Brain Wave by Poul Anderson and Flowers for Algernon, Daniel keyes, around 1958. The scene in Brain Wave that stuck with me was the rabbit caught in a trap and figures out how to open the door and escape...
Back to Top