1. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 15:381 edit
    I found this quote when I searched for information about the Swedish writer of children's books, Astrid Lindgren - I believe this is something for all of us to read:

"When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor’s wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn’t believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time. But one day, when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking–the first in his life. She told him that he would have to go outside himself and find a switch for her to hit him with.

The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying. He said to her, “Mama, I couldn’t find a switch, but here’s a rock that you can throw at me.”

All of a sudden the mother understood how the situation felt from the child’s point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, then it makes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.

And the mother took the boy into her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. And that is something I think everyone should keep in mind. Because if violence begins in the nursery one can raise children into violence."

-- Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking, 1978 Peace Prize Acceptance Speech
  2. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 15:40
    Thumbs up
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 17:58
    Originally posted by lolof
    I found this quote when I searched for information about the Swedish writer of children's books, Astrid Lindgren - I believe this is something for all of us to read:

"When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor’s wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn’t believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a s ...[text shortened]... lence."

-- Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking, 1978 Peace Prize Acceptance Speech
    I'm going to be a killjoy and point out that most kids know that the rock is worse. Far, far worse.
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 18:072 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I'm going to be a killjoy and point out that most kids know that the rock is worse. Far, far worse.
    This is meant to speak to your heart, not your mind. And it happened many, many decades ago.

I guess they know now.
  5. Joined
    12 Dec '13
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 18:30
    The story may be apocryphal (we don't know) but that does not lessen its value, to me anyway. Spring is upon us and the forum seems to be awakening a bit.
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 18:341 edit
    Originally posted by Merlion
    The story may be apocryphal (we don't know) but that does not lessen its value, to me anyway. Spring is upon us and the forum seems to be awakening a bit.
    Yes, spring is approaching... I didn't make the thread for any particular reason, I just happened to find the quote and it made me cry.

Astrid Lindgren was a writer with great integrity and her books are read all over the world.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 00:411 edit
    Yes, spring is approaching... I didn't make the thread for any particular reason, I just happened to find the quote and it made me cry.

Astrid Lindgren was a writer with great integrity and her books are read all over the world.
    Its Autumn.
    Feels like winter.
    And what happened to summer?
    😠

btw: great story
  8. Joined
    17 Dec '13
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 02:10
    Like the story, love the stick.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 02:12
    Spare the rod, spoil the child
    Use a rock
    You'll be under key and lock...
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 07:28
    Originally posted by 1shooter
    Like the story, love the stick.
    Reading to entire speech, she told him to go out and find a supple stick or rod for her to use. I was a little confused about the other word but too sad to read any more.
  11. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 07:37
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Spare the rod, spoil the child
    Use a rock
    You'll be under key and lock...
    We wouldn't hit or punish cats for instance, would we? I sometimes read about people who use physical punishment on dogs but we hardly ever see that happen here.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 07:481 edit

"When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor’s wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn’t believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a s ...[text shortened]... lence."

Every parent should be so affected by this story.
  13. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 10:411 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Every parent should be so affected by this story.
    Before we leave this thread, I just wish to say that the speech was delivered by Astrid Lindgren when she collected the German Booksellers’ Peace Prize in Frankfurt in 1978.
    "In the speech, ..., she passionately confronts violence, corporal punishment and oppressive methods used in raising children. In Germany the speech was considered very controversial and it was not until Astrid threatened to refuse the prize, that she got permission to give the speech at the prize-giving ceremony. The following year (1979) a law was passed in Sweden forbidding corporal punishment of children..."

A few words in the quote I found were incorrect but I was so upset I didn't notice it. 'Rock' should have been 'stone' e.g. but you seem to read it right anyway. Thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree