1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 15:35
    Foreign Language Idioms Meaningful to You

Please comment briefly on why each foreign language idiom you post is meaningful to you and include its website link. Numbering them consecutively with one idiom per post will also provide a specific reference for sidebar discussions as a courtesy to other contributors. Enjoy.....

1) "Avoir l'Esprit d'Escalier"

“Avoir l’esprit d’escalier - or sometimes “avoir l’esprit de l’escalier” is yet another weird French idiom. Literally, it means to have the wit of the staircase. So it means nothing really! In English, you sometimes call this “escalator wit”, or afterwit. It means to make a witty comeback, to answer someone in a witty (and fast) way. Something the French really admire, and are trained to do as part of our national sport: arguing and debating."

http://french.about.com/od/expressions/fl/Meaning-Of-The-French-Expression-Avoir-LEsprit-DEscalier.htm

Comment: Several years ago another still active member of Red Hot Pawn taught me the French Idiom "Avoir l'Esprit d'Escalier" as a reference to "polite repartee and/or clever rejoinders you wish you had said during the party as you're on the way up the staircase about to call it an evening".
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 16:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Foreign Language Idioms Meaningful to You

Please comment briefly on why each foreign language idiom you post is meaningful to you and include its website link. Numbering them consecutively with one idiom per post will also provide a specific reference for sidebar discussions as a courtesy to other contributors. Enjoy.....

1) [i]"Avoir l'Esp ...[text shortened]... ou had said during the party as you're on the way up the staircase about to call it an evening".[/b]
    2) Saru mo ki kara ochiru.

Even a monkey falls from a tree. (No website link i'm afraid). This Japanese saying relates well to chess, where even a great player can blunder.
  3. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 16:16
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Even a monkey falls from a tree. (No website link i'm afraid). This Japanese saying relates well to chess, where even a great player can blunder.
    Dupek
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 17:36
    Originally posted by redbadger
    Dupek
    Did you confuse idiom with idiot?
  5. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 18:34
    The higher the monkey climbs the tree the more you can see his arse.
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 18:40
    Did you confuse idiom with idiot?
    no I think u are a Dupek
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 19:20
    Originally posted by redbadger
    no I think u are a Dupek
    Dupek is as dupek does.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 03:53
    Dupek is as dupek does.
    You know, that is kepud spelled backwards.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 07:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You know, that is kepud spelled backwards.
    🙂 One bows down to your mastery of language sir.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Sep '15 01:513 edits

3) Festina Lente:

“Desiderius Erasmus : Adagia II, 1, 1: Festina Lente: Speude bradeos, i.e. festina lente, "Make haste slowly." This charming proverb appears at first glance a riddle, because it is made up of words which contradict each other. It is therefore to be classed with those which express their meaning through enantiosin, that is, contrariety, as we explained in the beginning of the Adages….” http://people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/FLtrans.htm (Learned this proverb from an Economics Professor at Northeastern University in Boston; and was reminded of it by a good friend on this site several years ago.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree