1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    24 May '14 20:34
    As you can see my blog http://physicsfromthebottomup.blogspot.com/ uses a lot of mathematical equations.Some of them were so big that I had to resize the font size in the posts to 11px in order to have mathematical equations fitting in the post area.

The thing is that this way the fonts are just to small. I know that with css I can expand the post area and put the left sidebar more to the left, the thing is that I don't know how to do it.

Can someone help me out or least direct me at some site that teaches the css code that I need in order to do what I described?
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    24 May '14 21:15
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 May '14 22:05
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    As you can see my blog http://physicsfromthebottomup.blogspot.com/ uses a lot of mathematical equations.Some of them were so big that I had to resize the font size in the posts to 11px in order to have mathematical equations fitting in the post area.

The thing is that this way the fonts are just to small. I know that with css I can expand the post ar ...[text shortened]... st direct me at some site that teaches the css code that I need in order to do what I described?
    How much control (if any) do you have over total page width? [In other words, does BlogSpot allow you to adjust this, or does it auto-set it to a fixed value?] Because that needs to be made wider in order to give the internal column - your column - space to expand.
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 May '14 04:47
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    How much control (if any) do you have over total page width? [In other words, does BlogSpot allow you to adjust this, or does it auto-set it to a fixed value?] Because that needs to be made wider in order to give the internal column - your column - space to expand.
    I have total control over the total page width in blogspot.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 May '14 07:1212 edits

The thing is that this way the fonts are just to small. I know that with css I can expand the post ar ...[text shortened]... st direct me at some site that teaches the css code that I need in order to do what I described?
    You can use the "float" property to place your sidebar left or right. For example, if you want your sidebar to be on the left of your page, use this syntax:

{float:left}

Before you use the float property, you must select what you want float. If you want a paragraph to float left, you'd write the code this way:

p {float:left}

If you choose to float your sidebar the way I just described, make sure to wrap the HTML for the sidebar in paragraph tags:

<p>sidebar</p>

I just used "sidebar" as an example, but it's the paragraph tags that are important.

If you choose to wrap your sidebar in paragraph tags, then in CSS, make sure you select the correct paragraph, if you have more than one pair of paragraph tags on your page. To do this, give the paragraph an ID like this:

<p id="sidebar">sidebar</p>

You can call the ID anything you want, it doesn't have to be "sidebar". Just make sure no other HTML element has an ID with that same name (and the ID can't start with a number, or have spaces). Once you've given an element (like a paragraph) an ID, you can select that element in CSS using the pound [#] symbol, like this:

#sidebar {float:left}

Finally, in your HTML, make sure that whatever you want to float (in this case, the sidebar) comes before whatever you want it to float next to.

More on floating here:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_float.asp
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 May '14 07:231 edit
    Also, to expand the post area, you can wrap the the HTML for the post area in "div" tags, and use CSS to give it a width. In CSS, it would be done like this:

div {width:800px}

Again, this only works if you only have one "div" on your page. If you have more than one "div", give the div an ID. You then select the Id you gave it using the pound [#] symbol:

#sidebar {width:800px}

Of course, you may choose whatever length is right for your page.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 May '14 07:331 edit
    Let me know if you need anything explained further.
  8. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    25 May '14 07:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    Let me know if you need anything explained further.
    Thanks a lot. I'll contact you via PM
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 May '14 08:01
    Thanks a lot. I'll contact you via PM
    No problem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree