1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 15:392 edits
    Posting this here rather than debates as it’s a loony house in there.

In the UK the top paid and most prominent sports presenter who is also a famous ex England footballer, has been suspended by the BBC for making tweets on a decisive party political topic.

It’s become a media circus with strongly held views both sides; some because of the topic, some because of the language he used and others because of the apparent suppression of his free speech.

He is a freelance broadcaster who’s contract with the BBC states that he should refrain from making party political statements, although the wording is under question and hasn’t been published.

Several other footballing presenters have decided not to front the program out of solidarity of principle.

Questions:

If a person has signed a contract not to speak publicly on general topics such as politics, should he feel aggrieved when called up over doing so?

Should such contracts be permitted in a free speech society?

If standing in solidarity of principle, shouldn’t other presenters or employees who feel the same way also stand with him and not just his co-hosts?

Any thoughts on these questions or the topic in general?
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 15:45
    @divegeester said

In the UK the top paid and most prominent sports presenter who is also a famous ex England footballer, has been suspended by the BBC for making tweets on a decisive party political topic.

It’s become a media circus with strongly held views both sides; some because of the topic, some because of th ...[text shortened]... tand with him and not just his co-hosts?

Would both parties, in the contract, not have consulted a lawyer? If the contract states that this or that applies and both parties signed then would not all the this and that’s have to be adhered to?🤔
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 17:53
    If I was getting paid £1.4 million a year I would keep my gob shut.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 23:07
    @divegeester said

It’s become a media circus with strongly held views both sides; some because of the topic, some because of th ...[text shortened]... tand with him and not just his co-hosts?

And because no one will see it in Sports.

Take it to the Sports Forum, Spanky.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 23:43
    @divegeester said

His contractual obligation aside, he broke Godwin's Law.
  6. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 23:43
    @suzianne said

Post alerted. Now that is weird.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 23:47
    @fmf said
    His contractual obligation aside, he broke Godwin's Law.
    Surely upheld Godwins law.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '23 23:48
    @suzianne said

Freedom of speech is not a "sports" topic.
  9. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 00:19

Removed by poster

10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 00:21
    @the-gravedigger said
    Surely upheld Godwins law.
    Perhaps you're right. But I thought Godwin's Law stipulated that if you resort to a Hitler comparison then you have lost the argument.
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 01:54
    @fmf said
    Perhaps you're right. But I thought Godwin's Law stipulated that if you resort to a Hitler comparison then you have lost the argument.
    Ok, I thought it was just that all arguments will eventually degenerate into accusations of Nazism.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 02:32
    @the-gravedigger said
    Ok, I thought it was just that all arguments will eventually degenerate into accusations of Nazism.
    Maybe you are being Descriptive while I am being Prescriptive about the meaning of The Law.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 02:37
    @gambrel removed their quoted post
    I don't think Suzianne was being "thin-skinned and sensitive". I think she was just trying to sabotage divegeester's wish to chat about this topic specifically with the people who gather on this forum.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 06:33
    @divegeester said

BBC news used to be trusted, it isn't anymore.

I think most are siding with the footballer. Everyone should have the right to criticize their own government, regardless of their job title.

Match of the day presenter 😂
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '23 06:55
    @a-unique-nickname said
    Everyone should have the right to criticize their own government, regardless of their job title.
    Do you, therefore, think Lineker made a mistake by signing a contract with the BBC in which he [1] agreed to refrain from making political statements in public, and [2] agreed to a salary of £1.4 million a year?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree