1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 20:07
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I can do *burp* three of those at the same time. It's called multitasking😴
    Does doing all three (eating, working and sleeping)
    at the same time explain the exceptional quality of your posts
    here and in private club forums? Just 'asking'.
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 22:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Does doing all three (eating, working and sleeping)
    at the same time explain the exceptional quality of your posts
    here and in private club forums? Just 'asking'.
    It depends on what you mean by exceptional. If you mean exceptionally fragmented then I would have to agree... heteroglossia is a another (nicer?) word for that. Don't flatter me too much. I'm a recovering praise junky, and can't allow myself to gaze into the mirror for too long. Remember that first poem I wrote?

"...I should have stared at something else
    at anything but me."
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 22:171 edit

It depends on what you mean by exceptional. If you mean exceptionally fragmented then I would have to agree... heteroglossia is a another (nicer?) word for that. Don't flatter me too much. I'm a recovering praise junky, and can't allow myself to gaze into the mirror for too long. Remember that first poem I wrote?

"...I should have stared at something else
    at anything but me."
    Nice try, exceptional one. We're not buying your protestations, though, unless they're delivered cleanly in rhyme with an Iambic Pentameter Cadence like Will's Blank Verse in Stratford on Avon a few years before lemon lime was born.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    05 Sep '13 22:49
    Nice try, exceptional one. We're not buying your protestations, though, unless they're delivered cleanly in rhyme with an Iambic Pentameter Cadence like Will's Blank Verse in Stratford on Avon a few years before lemon lime was born.
    A sneaky scientist brought Will back in his time machine and enrolled him in a shakespearean literature class. Poor old Will didn't do as well as some of the smarter kids. They did their homework and read the plays. Will was only the author. The heavy baroque accent didn't help either... the teacher couldn't understand what he was saying.

This was a sci-fi short story I read long ago, in a land far far away... okay, it wasn't really all that far away. But it was long ago.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 00:38
    A sneaky scientist brought Will back in his time machine and enrolled him in a shakespearean literature class. Poor old Will didn't do as well as some of the smarter kids. They did their homework and read the plays. Will was only the author. The heavy baroque accent didn't help either... the teacher couldn't understand what he was saying.

This was a sc ...[text shortened]... a land far far away... okay, it wasn't really all that far away. But it was long ago.
    That's the kind of story you get in those short-story sci-fi anthology magazines. I used to have subscriptions to three of them, so yeah, I recognize the genre. I think they were Analog, F&SF, and the one Isaac Asimov used to helm. I think that's also why I love Twilight Zone to this day.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 03:09
    1. Why is talking with someone who will listen (in person, on the phone
    or online) the activity we want and need and do more than any other activity
    (including eating, working or sleeping) in the course of a 24 hour day?

2. What purposes does silence serve on the internet?

3. Of RHP's many active public forum posters who have disappeared, why do we remember some yet not others?

4. What would your daily life be like without the internet and Red Hot Pawn (beginning tomorrow, September 6, 2013)?
  7. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 03:14

3. Of RHP's many active public forum posters who have disappeared, why ...[text shortened]... ily life be like without the internet and Red Hot Pawn (beginning tomorrow, September 6, 2013)?
    Lonesome. I depend on the chatting here very much.
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 05:161 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's the kind of story you get in those short-story sci-fi anthology magazines. I used to have subscriptions to three of them, so yeah, I recognize the genre. I think they were Analog, F&SF, and the one Isaac Asimov used to helm. I think that's also why I love Twilight Zone to this day.
    There was one other story I liked, but it's a common theme always being used in stories in one form or another. In the future no one chooses their career, it's assigned to you based on your innate abilities. It's about a kid who doesn't fit in anywhere, and everyone assumes he will need to be taken care of for the rest of his life. So it's one long sad story until one day someone shows up to give him his assigned job...? It turns out people like him enjoy the highest status and most pay of anyone. In his "profession" no one has a particular skill, but they all have something no one else has... the ability to think outside the box and come up with new ideas.

The science in Sci-fi stories back then was mostly a vehicle for telling a story. The time machine allowed Shakespeare to take a modern day college course, and the futuristic society was only a backdrop for making a point.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '13 15:13
    The science in Sci-fi stories back then was mostly a vehicle for telling a story. The time machine allowed Shakespeare to take a modern day college course, and the futuristic society was only a backdrop for making a point.
    Of course. That's why it's called Science Fiction. Equal emphasis on Science and Fiction. Even if the 'science' involved is only like 'spaceflight' or 'robots', it's still science-related. A slice of the (conceivable) future, if you will. There's still a story to be told.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 02:33

3. Of RHP's many active public forum posters who have disappeared, why do we remember some yet not others?

4. What would your daily life be like without the internet and Red Hot Pawn (beginning tomorrow, September 6, 2013)?

5. In your observation and experience, what are the crux personal issues and social factors that cause loneliness?
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Sep '13 11:19
    5. In your observation and experience, what are the crux personal issues and social factors that cause loneliness?
    Talking too much.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Sep '13 08:05
    6. When was the last time you invited someone to join Red Hot Pawn
    and your efforts resulted in a new member who's still here?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 00:48

6. When was the last time you invited someone to join Red Hot Pawn
    and your efforts resulted in a new member who's still here?
    RHP Member Recruiting
    R.I.P.
    """"""""" ""
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:021 edit
    7. Is it true that you do what you are on the internet without realizing it? ("Along Came a Spider" line paraphrased)
  15. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Sep '13 01:05
    7. Is it true that you do what you are on the internet without realizing it?
    Only if you know it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree