General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    26 Dec '16 00:55
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/25/british-singer-george-michael-has-died/95842954/

    George Michael, the British singer, musician and founding member of Wham!, died over the Christmas holiday, his publicist confirms to USA TODAY. He was 53.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16719
    26 Dec '16 01:08
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/25/british-singer-george-michael-has-died/95842954/

    George Michael, the British singer, musician and founding member of Wham!, died over the Christmas holiday, his publicist confirms to USA TODAY. He was 53.
    Yes, but your headline says '52'

    So sad. Too young. A musical collosus who bridged 'boy band' to become a major player
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    57586
    26 Dec '16 01:08
    Indeed. Newsreels are all over this one.
    The tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea will now take a back seat.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16719
    26 Dec '16 01:11
    Originally posted by Larkie
    Indeed. Newsreels are all over this one.
    The tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea will now take a back seat.
    Are you implying some connection, or just trolling this thread?
  5. Standard memberSteve45
    Garry Kasparov
    liverpool
    Joined
    24 May '12
    Moves
    27774
    26 Dec '16 01:22
    Tragic news. He was a superb artist and only 24 hours after we lost Rick Parfitt from the Quo.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    26 Dec '16 01:25
    Originally posted by Larkie
    Indeed. Newsreels are all over this one.
    The tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea will now take a back seat.
    I would have thought this kind of comment belonged on a thread about the shortcomings of "Newsreels" in your view or one about "The tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea" rather than one commemorating the death of George Michael.
  7. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    57586
    26 Dec '16 05:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would have thought this kind of comment belonged on a thread about the shortcomings of "Newsreels" in your view or one about "The tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea" rather than one commemorating the death of George Michael.
    At first I was disappointed at your response FMF but my fault - perhaps I should explain myself a little better.
    George Michael was extraordinary - a great singer, a great writer, outstanding stage presence and overall, a 24 carat gold-plated, fur-lined, triple-'A' rated, ocean-going icon. Personally (not that it matters) I was never a big fan, but that's just personal taste and I can recognise class. And George was pure class.
    But like a lot of 'greats' in the industry he was flawed. We all knew how and why because the press reminded us at every opportunity, because stories and grubby 'revelations' sell papers all day long, don't they?
    Today, newsreels from Sky and BBC alike have had a field day with endless reminders of (on the one hand) his genius and on the other, his indiscretions. The most tasteless aspect of this style of reporting is that it all seems so seamlessly pre-prepared. As if this day has been expected for some time.
    It'll roll on, too - along with the self-indulgent and equally tasteless 'mourning sickness' which seems so fashionable these days when a major celebrity dies. And tomorrow it will be the turn of the tabloids.
    George Michael was also a very private bloke over the last 5 years or so. I don't think he would have approved of all this coverage. It's disproportionate, tacky and disrespectful.
    ...Awaiting a rain of 'thumbs down' now
  8. Standard memberchaney3
    Bring it on.......
    Joined
    26 Dec '14
    Moves
    29912
    26 Dec '16 06:00
    Originally posted by Larkie
    At first I was disappointed at your response FMF but my fault - perhaps I should explain myself a little better.
    George Michael was extraordinary - a great singer, a great writer, outstanding stage presence and overall, a 24 carat gold-plated, fur-lined, triple-'A' rated, ocean-going icon. Personally (not that it matters) I was never a big fan, but that's j ...[text shortened]... erage. It's disproportionate, tacky and disrespectful.
    ...Awaiting a rain of 'thumbs down' now
    Thumbs up from me.
    You are entitled to your opinion, and FMF should respect that, while minding his own business, and letting others share.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    26 Dec '16 06:12
    Originally posted by Larkie
    Today, newsreels from Sky and BBC alike have had a field day with endless reminders of (on the one hand) his genius and on the other, his indiscretions. The most tasteless aspect of this style of reporting is that it all seems so seamlessly pre-prepared. As if this day has been expected for some time. It'll roll on, too - along with the self-indulgent and equally tasteless 'mourning sickness' which seems so fashionable these days when a major celebrity dies. And tomorrow it will be the turn of the tabloids. George Michael was also a very private bloke over the last 5 years or so. I don't think he would have approved of all this coverage. It's disproportionate, tacky and disrespectful.

    What does all this have to do with "the tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea"?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35761
    26 Dec '16 06:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    What does all this have to do with "the tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea"?
    I would have thought this kind of question belonged on a thread about "the tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea" rather than one commemorating the death of George Michael.
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    26 Dec '16 06:391 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I would have thought this kind of question belonged on a thread about "the tragic story of the Russian aircraft crash in the Black Sea" rather than one commemorating the death of George Michael.
    I'm asking Larkie why he thought his comment about Russia belonged on this thread about George Michael. It was missing from his "perhaps I should explain myself a little better" piece above. Read the thread.
  12. Standard memberchaney3
    Bring it on.......
    Joined
    26 Dec '14
    Moves
    29912
    26 Dec '16 06:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm asking Larkie why he thought his comment about Russia belonged on this thread about George Michael. It was missing from his "perhaps I should explain myself a little better" piece above. Read the thread.
    I cannot speak for Larkie, but it seems that the point may have been that George Michael's death would dominate the news.

    Nothing more.
  13. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    57586
    26 Dec '16 06:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm asking Larkie why he thought his comment about Russia belonged on this thread about George Michael. It was missing from his "perhaps I should explain myself a little better" piece above. Read the thread.
    Really FMF.
    Do I have to spell it out to you?
    The events in the Black Sea are an EXAMPLE of a big news item that has been disproportionately overshadowed by the over-reporting of the unfortunate death of a major celebrity.
    Would you like me to explain in more simplistic terms for you?
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    26 Dec '16 06:47
    Originally posted by Larkie
    Really FMF.
    Do I have to spell it out to you?
    The events in the Black Sea are an EXAMPLE of a big news item that has been disproportionately overshadowed by the over-reporting of the unfortunate death of a major celebrity.
    Would you like me to explain in more simplistic terms for you?
    You had some nice things to say about Michael. It seems a pity you used this thread to grind other axes.
  15. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    57586
    26 Dec '16 06:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    You had some nice things to say about Michael. It seems a pity you used this thread to grind other axes.
    In retrospect, yes, that was wrong of me. I should have started another thread on the matter.
    Cheers.
Back to Top