good news day

Standard memberRemoved
General 09 Jan '20 09:47
  1. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:13
    @moonbus said
    It is not easy for Royals to find a useful and meaningful niche in modern Britain, particularly at this time of transition with U.K. leaving the EU. I think it is courageous of the S's to look farther afield to carve out their own niche and to become financially independent. Kudos, Harry and Meghan!
    The cynic in me thinks that Meghan, whom I always thought to be woefully second-rate, wanted the fame and has made little to no effort to assume the duties and responsibilities that come with the position. She knew what she was getting herself into, yet she has foundered sooner than most do.

The last thing the House of Windsor needs is another scandal and more bad press coverage. Perhaps I am being harsh, but I think that she and Harry need to wake up and pull themselves together.
  2. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:23
    The idea that they will have anything close to a 'normal life' in North America seems to me to be a fantasy, especially since they will presumably attempt to capitalise on their fame in order to earn money and achieve 'financial independence'.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:31
    @ashiitaka said
    The idea that they will have anything close to a 'normal life' in North America seems to me to be a fantasy, especially since they will presumably attempt to capitalise on their fame in order to earn money and achieve 'financial independence'.
    You know all the big Talk shows will want an interview with them. They will do very well over this side of the ocean in my humble opinion.

-VR
  4. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:323 edits
    Far be it for an American to pontificate about Royals, but I can't help noticing some aspects. It seems that the family has given Harry and Megan everything they wanted. The marriage they wanted, the house they wanted, the job/function they wanted, the money they wanted.

So they want to leave it all behind. And people heard of this on social media before the family learned of it. Is this fair to a 95 year old woman, the queen, that bent over backwards for the two?

The queen has had some tough times lately. This was a kick in the family jewels
  5. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:41
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Far be it for an American to pontificate about Royals, but I can't help noticing some aspects. It seems that the family has given Harry and Megan everything they wanted. The marriage they wanted, the house they wanted, the job/function they wanted, the money they wanted.

So they want to leave it all behind. And people heard of this on social media before the family ...[text shortened]... oman, the queen, that bent over backwards for the two?

The queen has had some tough times lately.
    I agree. It seems that their gripe is that their lives aren't 'private', or that the press cannot help but remark on how obviously hypocritical it is to preach about green issues (which for the record, I support) and then take a private jet everywhere, all the time. I get the impression that Meghan thinks that by taking sides with 'woke' causes, she is ingratiating herself to the public or giving herself a line of defence. Even if I do not actually disagree with these positions, the House of Windsor is not a political institution that can be used to further an agenda, whatever that agenda may be.

And it's not like they will ever get 'privacy', so why abdicate your duty to serve and drag your family through hell?
  6. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:46
    @very-rusty said
    You know all the big Talk shows will want an interview with them. They will do very well over this side of the ocean in my humble opinion.

-VR
    The thought of members of the Royal Family cheapening themselves on a tacky talk show for money is utterly repulsive. Yet that is what is going to happen should this deranged plan go ahead.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:47
    @ashiitaka said
    I agree. It seems that their gripe is that their lives aren't 'private', or that the press cannot help but remark on how obviously hypocritical it is to preach about green issues (which for the record, I support) and then take a private jet everywhere, all the time. I get the impression that Meghan thinks that by taking sides with 'woke' causes, she is ingratiating herself ...[text shortened]... they will ever get 'privacy', so why abdicate your duty to serve and drag your family through hell?
    If it will make you feel any better they will be hounded by the media/talk shows over here and will not really have the private life they are looking for.

-VR
  8. RSA
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:531 edit
    @very-rusty said
    If it will make you feel any better they will be hounded by the media/talk shows over here and will not really have the private life they are looking for.

-VR
    It goes without saying that it doesn't "make me feel any better". You could give me all the palaces, pampering, fame and fortune in the world and I would refuse it because I would never want my life to be under scrutiny all the time. I'm that sense, I can empathize. I'm simply pointing out that the idea that they will somehow stay out of the spotlight in e.g. the United States is obviously completely unrealistic, as is the prospect of Harry finding any meaningful work. If that is what they seek, then they are taking the wrong path.

Why tear up everything to achieve nothing?
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 22:591 edit
    @ashiitaka said
    It goes without saying that it doesn't "make me feel any better". You could give me all the palaces, pampering, fame and fortune in the world and I would refuse it because I would never want my life to be under scrutiny all the time. I'm simply pointing out that the idea that they will somehow stay out of the spotlight in e.g. the United States is obviously completely unrea ...[text shortened]... f Harry finding any meaningful work. If that is what they seek, then they are taking the wrong path.
    I am pretty sure the same would happen here in Canada.

I understand they could be moving to Canada!

-VR
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Jan '20 23:29
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Exactly.

I hope that clears things up for you?
    Not even close! πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰

-VR
  11. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 05:09
    @very-rusty said
    I am pretty sure the same would happen here in Canada.

I understand they could be moving to Canada!

-VR
    They are moving to Canada.

I understand that it is going to cost the Canadian tax payers $$Millions per year for security. It also tells you why they didn't move to the US because they would never get that security service.

Watch them live in Canada but "visit" the US quite a bit, and oh, the security has to go along. Ahh huhhh
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 06:46
    As an American, I simply say God bless Harry and Meghan AND God Save the Queen.
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 08:45
    @suzianne said
    As an American, I simply say God bless Harry and Meghan AND God Save the Queen.
    I wish them all the best, and I love the Queen - she is a remarkable woman.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 12:56
    @earl-of-trumps said
    They are moving to Canada.

I understand that it is going to cost the Canadian tax payers $$Millions per year for security. It also tells you why they didn't move to the US because they would never get that security service.

Watch them live in Canada but "visit" the US quite a bit, and oh, the security has to go along. Ahh huhhh
    I am sure they would be quite welcomed here and the tourists they will bring to Canada will probably even out the dollars spent on their security. Who knows it may even make a profit! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jan '20 15:05
    @lemondrop said
    I view royalty as nothing but parasites
    dislike them all
    they all should get a job like the rest of us
    bunch of freeloaders
    They did not ask to be born royal, you know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree