Good westerns

Good westerns

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
27 Dec 16

I second "High Noon," which John Wayne panned because he said the hero character wasn't manly enough. Pfui! I'll take a Cooper film over Wayne any day. Wayne played chess though: I guess that redeems him.

"Once Upon A Time In The West," one of the few westerns with a real role for a woman ("Johnny Guitar" is another) and Henry Fonda atypically cast as a bad guy.

"Broken Trail," w/ Robt. Duvall.

"My Darling Clementine," John Ford dir., w/Henry Fonda, Victure Mature, Linda Darnell, Walter Brennan, Tim Holt. Little known, unjustly under-rated, top cast, good story.

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre," is hard to classify, but if it qualifies as a western, then that's my top favorite.

Moves
27 Dec 16
2 edits

Originally posted by moonbus
I second "High Noon," which John Wayne panned because he said the hero character wasn't manly enough. Pfui! I'll take a Cooper film over Wayne any day. Wayne played chess though: I guess that redeems him.

"Once Upon A Time In The West," one of the few westerns with a real role for a woman ("Johnny Guitar" is another) and Henry Fonda atypically cast as a b ...[text shortened]... erra Madre," is hard to classify, but if it qualifies as a western, then that's my top favorite.
I published few essays on western, Orson Welles, and a "special" dedicated to Home Alone 1 and 2, beginning with review of East German remake of Home Alone, so as to show differences between East European mentality and Western, Protestant mind. At the end of "special" I wrote that non such remake was made. But I expressed my point by that.

I reply here regarding High Noon and that some disliked the film, also Wayne. Other claimed it was "communist" and "leftist" film which is idiotic statement. In essay on westerns I quoted some expert on strategic that Cooper character did well to hide in the city and wait for the gang, because he will be sitting duck in the open area. And that he was not coward, he only asked fellow citizens to do what real Americans do!

Speaking of High Noon and sheriffs gerilla account, I remember "The Gaunlet" with Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke. The couple was chased by chopper in the city, and they left the city, they rode the bike out to the desert to become open target to chopper - so stupid! The writer(s) probably'd read reviews of "High Noon"...

So, yeah, "High Noon" is good western, although one has to wait long to star dead count.

Moves
27 Dec 16
1 edit

There Was A Crooked Man
directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, I saw it several times in Cinemathequet.
Henry Fonda, Kirk Douglas - western black comedy

Über-Nerd

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by vandervelde
I reply here regarding High Noon and that some disliked the film, also Wayne. Other claimed it was "communist" and "leftist" film which is idiotic statement. In essay on westerns I quoted some expert on strategic that Cooper character did well to hide in the city and wait for the gang, because he will be sitting duck in the open area. And that he was no ...[text shortened]...

So, yeah, "High Noon" is good western, although one has to wait to long to star dead count.
"High Noon" is great not only for Cooper's performance (Coop had more acting talent in his little finger than Wayne had in his whole career), but also for the supporting characters: the old and retired sheriff, played by Lon Chaney Jr., who would help but has arthritic hands and can't shoot; the whole cast of locals who are too cowardly to support their sheriff in his time of need; and the Grace Kelly character, a pacifist by religious conviction, who discovers in the crucial scene that her love for Coop is stronger than her religious conviction--now there's a powerful dilemma, and an often over-looked aspect to the story.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 16

I just watched Silverado, was ok, the cinematics were very good but the plot was rather thin and the characters a little one dimensional.

rc

Moves
27 Dec 16

Into the West mini series by Spielberg and Dreamworks is possibly the best westerns I have seen, well worth watching.

E

Moves
27 Dec 16

The Savage and Little Big Man if you like the white guy raised by Indians movies.

Moves
27 Dec 16

Originally posted by vandervelde
http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/1533-3.jpg

Sam Peckinpah directed the best three::::

[b]The Ballade of Cable Hogue

The Wild Bunch
[hidden]https://aznbadger.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/the-wild-bunch-dies1.jpg[/hidden]

Pat Garett And Billy The Kid
[hidden]http://nightflight.com/wp-content/uploads/PAT-GARRETT-BILLY-THE-KID-12.jpg[/hidden]

Not many more so good.[/b]
I love Westerns.

Unfogiven is a fav.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Dec 16

Another good one is Winchester '73 (1950) with Jimmy Stewart.

And how about Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) with Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Dec 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Another good one is Winchester '73 (1950) with Jimmy Stewart.

And how about Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) with Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine?
Yep.
In fact it's more difficult to think of abad Western!!!

Strange how that short period of US history can capture the imagination of the world!