1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 16:19
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-flanagan-of-the-grammar-police-on-i-and-me/
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 20:57
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-flanagan-of-the-grammar-police-on-i-and-me/
    This is my single biggest grammar pet peeve ever.

Person says "My wife and me are going to the concert." I say "Hey, Tarzan, enjoy the show." They never get it. 😞
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 22:38
    One of the comments in that link says it all:

"there has always been a contest between the vernacular and the proper. the vernacular eventually wins."

I'm as irritated by grammar blunders as anyone on the planet, but I've long since admitted defeat in the fight for civilised English language. I'm really happy that I didn't choose to be a teacher.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 22:56
    The adjective 'healthy' is so frequently substituted for 'healthful' that it's even used by the media (here) with abandon: "healthy food" rather than "healthful food": organs and organisms may be healthy; food may be beneficial/healthful.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 23:05
    Originally posted by Kewpie

"there has always been a contest between the vernacular and the proper. the vernacular eventually wins."

I'm as irritated by grammar blunders as anyone on the planet, but I've long since admitted defeat in the fight for civilised English language. I'm really happy that I didn't choose to be a teacher.
    Do you really believe that people who use I and me improperly are winning the grammar war?
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 23:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    The adjective 'healthy' is so frequently substituted for 'healthful' that it's even used by the media (here) with abandon: "healthy food" rather than "healthful food": organs and organisms may be healthy; food may be beneficial/healthful.
    Note the following from the American Heritage Dictionary online:

The distinction in meaning between healthy (possessing good health) and healthful (conducive to good health) was ascribed to the two terms only as late as the 1880s. This distinction, though tenaciously supported by some critics, is belied by citational evidence — healthy has been used to mean "healthful" since the 16th century. Use of healthy in this sense is to be found in the works of many distinguished writers, with this example from John Locke being typical: "Gardening... and working in wood, are fit and healthy recreations for a man of study or business." Therefore, both healthy and healthful are correct in these contexts: a healthy climate, a healthful climate; a healthful diet, a healthy diet.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 23:18
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Note the following from the American Heritage Dictionary online:

The distinction in meaning between healthy (possessing good health) and healthful (conducive to good health) was ascribed to the two terms only as late as the 1880s. This distinction, though tenaciously supported by some critics, is belied by citational evidence — healthy has been used to ...[text shortened]... ect in these contexts: a healthy climate, a healthful climate; a healthful diet, a healthy diet.
    Thank you.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 23:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is my single biggest grammar pet peeve ever.

Person says "My wife and me are going to the concert." I say "Hey, Tarzan, enjoy the show." They never get it. 😞
    But the grammatically correct "My wife and I" sounds awful and is liable to be mocked. I find myself avoiding either and use "we" whenever possible.
  9. old pueblo
    Moves
    23 Feb '14 23:54
    Originally posted by Kewpie

Yeah. I love it when parents argue with me and claim that alot is one word and I'm wrong in teaching their children to write a lot.

Don't get me started on mines instead of mine, I won him instead of I beat him, and Valentimes.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '14 00:09
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    But the grammatically correct "My wife and I" sounds awful and is liable to be mocked. I find myself avoiding either and use "we" whenever possible.
    Excellent point. As a retired widower, I still refer to travels and events involving Evelyn in conversation with "we" and "us".
  11. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    24 Feb '14 00:35
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    My mother taught me that, too. Food is healthful for us. We become healthy.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Feb '14 00:39
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    Yeah. I love it when parents argue with me and claim that alot is one word and I'm wrong in teaching their children to write a lot.

Don't get me started on mines instead of mine, I won him instead of I beat him, and Valentimes.
    Pet hates
    lend/borrow
    practise/practice
    lay/lie
    to/too

and the ridiculous "of" instead of "have" 🙄
  13. water
    Moves
    24 Feb '14 01:19
    Why did I click on this Thread? What did I expect to Find? I feel both dumber and smarter for it.😵
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Feb '14 01:34
    Originally posted by Copope
    Why did I click on this Thread? What did I expect to Find? I feel both dumber and smarter for it.😵
    The topic seems to have turned to illiteracy, not just poor grammar.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Feb '14 01:55
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    The topic seems to have turned to illiteracy, not just poor grammar.
    ..... online public forum etiquette and preferred punctuation next?¿

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree