1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 19:513 edits
    OK, I'm 3 years overdue, sorry about that. Usually I find myself in agreement with the critics but this film was dreadful from start to finish (except the scene where Ryan radioes the Chinaman who calls her Mayday — that was mediocre to quite good). 96 Metascore!? What were they thinking??

Edit: I see it was available in 3D. Perhaps it would have been raised up in my estimation if I'd seen the 3D version, like Avatar, which was entertaining-ish in 3D.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:10
    The Martian is better.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:18
    Originally posted by moonbus
    The Martian is better.
    Haven't seen Gravity, but agree that The Martian is a well done movie.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:22
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    OK, I'm 3 years overdue, sorry about that. Usually I find myself in agreement with the critics but this film was dreadful from start to finish (except the scene where Ryan radioes the Chinaman who calls her Mayday — that was mediocre to quite good). 96 Metascore!? What were they thinking??

Edit: I see it was available in 3D. Perhaps it would have ...[text shortened]... d up in my estimation if I'd seen the 3D version, like Avatar, which was entertaining-ish in 3D.
    there is no such thing as gravity, ask FreakyKBH
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:44
    ...this film was dreadful from start to finish [...] What were they thinking??
    I rather liked it. What do you suppose were the attractive/persuasive aspects of it to those who liked it, mistakenly or otherwise? ๐Ÿ™‚
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:44

Edit: I see it was available in 3D. Perhaps it would have ...[text shortened]... d up in my estimation if I'd seen the 3D version, like Avatar, which was entertaining-ish in 3D.
    I agree. It was not very good and dreadfully boring.

The Martian was good, but boring.

Give me action and adventure! ๐Ÿ˜‰
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:532 edits
    The Martian is better.
    I started reading the Martian but was sick of it after one chapter. The protagonist was incredibly annoying and nowhere near believable. Give me The Martian Chronicles any day of the week – it may not be believable either but it's much more interesting. I would like to see The Martian though, it might be a better film than a book. I loved Moon, so hopefully The Martian is as good.
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 11:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    I rather liked it. What do you suppose were the attractive/persuasive aspects of it to those who liked it, mistakenly or otherwise? ๐Ÿ™‚
    I think the people who liked it are in a much better position to say that. The best thing about the film overall in my opinion were the shots of Earth from space, particularly the Nile at night.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 12:11
    I think the people who liked it are in a much better position to say that.
    The only question you asked in your OP was "What were they thinking??" But I think, despite you not liking the film, you probably know the answer. Personally, I think it was a kind of Old Man And The Sea for the Space Age.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 18:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    The only question you asked in your OP was "What were they thinking??" But I think, despite you not liking the film, you probably know the answer. Personally, I think it was a kind of Old Man And The Sea for the Space Age.
    What were they thinking? Box office bucks, what else?

Gravity looks like a showcase for George Clooney to play a suave ham and squirt around in a jet pack. Replace Clooney by anyone else and there would have been zero box office response.

The Martian looks more like a story about human endurance and not just a vehicle for one particular actor.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 18:53
    Gravity looks like a showcase for George Clooney to play a suave ham and squirt around in a jet pack. Replace Clooney by anyone else and there would have been zero box office response.

The Martian looks more like a story about human endurance and not just a vehicle for one particular actor.
    Oh yes, he was in it too, wasn't he? I'd forgotten that. I thought it was a fine performance by Sandra Bullock though. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Jun '16 19:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh yes, he was in it too, wasn't he? I'd forgotten that. I thought it was a fine performance by Sandra Bullock though. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Yeah, Sandra Bullock was the best thing about Gravity.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 10:01
    Yeah, Sandra Bullock was the best thing about Gravity.
    I like any movie with Sandra Bullock. I liked the book 'the Martian' at least as good as the movie. The movie had some terrible physics holes in it, like being able to cover a hole the size of a large refrigerator and hold it together with duct tape against 10 PSI or so. You know, 10 pounds per square INCH across a six foot hole? That would be a force of about 40,000 POUNDS trying to rip apart that fix. Unlikely. And to see the entire spacecraft tipping over in a wind that has a pressure of 1 torr, 700 times thinner than Earth air, not gonna happen.

But putting that aside, it still was a good story.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 17:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I like any movie with Sandra Bullock. I liked the book 'the Martian' at least as good as the movie. The movie had some terrible physics holes in it, like being able to cover a hole the size of a large refrigerator and hold it together with duct tape against 10 PSI or so. You know, 10 pounds per square INCH across a six foot hole? That would be a force of a ...[text shortened]... thinner than Earth air, not gonna happen.

But putting that aside, it still was a good story.
    Never underestimate duct tape! It held a wobbly distributor cap on my '63 VW van for enough miles to limp to a Werkstatt.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '16 17:04
    Never underestimate duct tape! It held a wobbly distributor cap on my '63 VW van for enough miles to limp to a Werkstatt.
    I use duct tape all the time but I don't think it would hold up 40,000 pounds or 20,000 Kilograms! Good save for your microbus though!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree