1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 05:54
    I notice that there is a tendency tothis superlative.
    But in reality we only can see the past, so "of all time" can' really be applied to anything.

Same with "best in universe" we only know about a speck...

Why need people to claim the very extreme? (Not reffering to the greatest leader of all time here)
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 06:59
    People have a natural tendency to compare things. Comparisons lead to rankings. Rankings lead to a high-end and a low-end. The high-end is by definition the 'greatest.' Mohammed Ali proclaimed, "I am the greatest," and, for a time, he was -- but he was surpassed by others who came after him. Occasionally, an achievement becomes so well established at the pinnacle of its kind, that it comes to be regarded as the benchmark of its kind, as something unsurpassable. Shakespeare, for example, is commonly regarded as the greatest playwright of all time; no one has equalled, much less surpassed, him, and it is hard to imagine anyone ever doing so.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 07:15
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    But in reality we only can see the past, so "of all time" can' really be applied to anything.

Why need people to claim the very extreme? (Not reffering to the greatest leader of all time here)
    Hyperbole of course.
    The greatest exponent of all time in the whole universe being Mr Trump. 😉
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 07:47
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Hyperbole of course.
    The greatest exponent of all time in the whole universe being Mr Trump. 😉
    The greatest exponent of self-adulation he is. Harrumpf.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 13:12
    This subject reminds me of a joke. A vacationer was driving through a small town in northeast Maine. He was "lost" so he stopped at a home where he found an older gentleman sitting on his porch. He approached the man and asked for directions to the nearest highway. The man thought for a moment and finally said "I have no idea,"Not yet". never seen one". The traveler then asked if the gentleman had lived all his life here to which he responded..."Not yet". Greatest of all time? "All time" has yet to happen.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 19:59
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    ?.. "All time" has yet to happen.
    And it probably never will.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 21:11
    Two great posts full of philosophical insight.

So what is time anyway?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 22:391 edit

That's like the Miss Universe contest. Invariably a woman from Earth keeps winning......I say it's rigged.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 23:183 edits
    Two great posts full of philosophical insight.

So what is time anyway?
    Time is the framework wherein processes have beginnings, middles, and ends. Therefore time had no beginning and will have no end; beginnings and ends apply only to processes in time, not to time itself; so, in a sense, time is timeless. Time is the metric of change, and is therefore itself changeless.

Space is the board on which the chess pieces move; it is not a move in the game, but is the framework wherein (or on) the game takes place. Time is the 'other' framework whereby moves in the game are limited and through which plans and strategies are developed and modified, brought to fruition or shattered.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 23:27
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    That's like the Miss Universe contest. Invariably a woman from Earth keeps winning......I say it's rigged.
    Not always the same woman.
  11. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 00:57
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Well, the Mars gold standard of female beauty is 300 kilos and six arms. And don't get me started on Uranus.
  12. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 01:00
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    [b]Time is the framework...
    That is actually pretty good. Thumbs up.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 01:01
    Originally posted by @montymoose
    Well, the Mars gold standard of female beauty is 300 kilos and six arms. And don't get me started on Uranus.
    Leave that for Kevin Spacey.
  14. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 01:20
    House of Cards is going to be auditing your tax returns. 🙂
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:26
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    People have a natural tendency to compare things. Comparisons lead to rankings. Rankings lead to a high-end and a low-end. The high-end is by definition the 'greatest.' Mohammed Ali proclaimed, "I am the greatest," and, for a time, he was -- but he was surpassed by others who came after him. Occasionally, an achievement becomes so well established at the pi ...[text shortened]... ; no one has equalled, much less surpassed, him, and it is hard to imagine anyone ever doing so.
    Don Bradman

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree