1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 12:262 edits
    Originally posted by mikelom
    That's not a speech. It is a CREATED soliloquoy from a book. Thus, not a real speech; as much as Dumbo cried for his mother in Disney, and the birds on the electric wires made speeches.

How about this for a speech?

: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5WVecNdhk

-m. 😉
    all speeches are created by someone, this by redbadger is no exception! I don't think a dandy like Fry has much of anything of relevance to say on any subject to anyone, except on dandism and how to drink shandys.
  2. Wat?
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 15:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    all speeches are created by someone, this by redbadger is no exception! I don't think a dandy like Fry has much of anything of relevance to say on any subject to anyone, except on dandism and how to drink shandys.
    A "dandy like Fry"

You are now anti-gay?

Whoa! You're on very dangerous ground.

-m. 😕
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 17:49
    Matthew 5-7.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 19:14
    That's not a speech. It is a CREATED soliloquoy from a book. Thus, not a real speech; as much as Dumbo cried for his mother in Disney, and the birds on the electric wires made speeches.

How about this for a speech?

: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5WVecNdhk

-m. 😉
    Can't a character in a film or play make a speech?

Hamlet's famous lines are indeed a soliloquy.
    (Which in essence is a "speech" to oneself)
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 21:482 edits
    A "dandy like Fry"

You are now anti-gay?

Whoa! You're on very dangerous ground.

-m. 😕
    see how your posts are more are a reflection of you than the people you seek to project those views upon?

A dandy (also known as a beau or gallant) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self.

wikipedia.

There is in the definition no mention of the mans sexual practices. Its you who invented it and proceeded to attempt to project those values onto me. Please stop assuming. I am on solid ground, its you who is walking on thin ice.
  6. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 22:30
    [b]see how your posts are more are a reflection of you than the people you seek to project those views upon?

A dandy (also known as a beau or gallant) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self.
    Robbie

Although I concede that you are winning this 'dandy' argument, do you really think that the 20 stone plus, v broken nosed Mr Fry is someone who places 'particular importance upon physical appearance'???

He aint no Brad Pitt !!!
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 04:48
    Here are excerpts from my vote for one of the greatest speeches of all time, Socrates' "Apology" (as recorded by his student, Plato):

For this fear of death is indeed the pretence of wisdom,
    and not real wisdom, being the appearance of knowing the unknown;
    since no one knows whether death, which they in their fear apprehend
    to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good…

Let us reflect in another way, and we shall see that there is great reason
    to hope that death is a good, for one of two things: - either death is a state of nothingness
    and utter unconsciousness, or, as men say, there is a change and migration
    of the soul from this world to another. Now if you suppose that there is no consciousness,
    but a sleep like the sleep of him who is undisturbed even by the sight of dreams,
    death will be an unspeakable gain. … Now if death is like this, I say that to die is gain;
    for eternity is then only a single night.

But if death is the journey to another place,
    and there, as men say, all the dead are, what good, O my friends and judges,
    can be greater than this? If indeed when the pilgrim arrives in the world below,
    he is delivered from the professors of justice in this world, and finds the true judges
    who are said to give judgment there…that pilgrimage will be worth making….

Above all, I shall be able to continue my search into true and false knowledge;
    as in this world, so also in that; I shall find out who is wise, and who pretends to be wise,
    and is not. What would not a man give, O judges, to be able to examine the leader
    of the great Trojan expedition; or Odysseus or Sisyphus, or numberless others,
    men and women too! What infinite delight would there be in conversing with them
    and asking them questions! For in that world they do not put a man to death for this;
    certainly not. For besides being happier in that world than in this, they will be immortal,
    if what is said is true…

Wherefore, O judges, be of good cheer about death, and know this of a truth –
    that no evil can happen to a good man, either in life or after death.
    He and his are not neglected by the gods; nor has my own approaching end
    happened by mere chance. But I see clearly that to die and be released
    was better for me; and therefore the oracle gave no sign…

The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways - I to die, and you to live.

Which is better God only knows.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/apology.html
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 05:02
    Originally posted by hakima
    Here are excerpts from my vote for one of the greatest speeches of all time, Socrates' "Apology" (as recorded by his student, Plato):

For this fear of death is indeed the pretence of wisdom,
    and not real wisdom, being the appearance of knowing the unknown;
    since no one knows whether death, which they in their fear apprehend
    to be the greatest evil, m ...[text shortened]... d you to live.

Which is better God only knows.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/apology.html
    No better has been said.
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 05:53
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    [b]Can't a character in a film or play make a speech?
    You mean the same fictional characters as portrayed in films, plays and even Bibles, the Koran, and so forth?

It is the author making the speech to inflict ideas upon and try to control the irrational observers of such, is it not? Or do you believe in the tooth-fairy too? 😀 .... 😉

-m.
  10. Wat?
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 06:06
    see how your posts are more are a reflection of you than the people you seek to project those views upon?

wikipedia.

There is in t ...[text shortened]... alues onto me. Please stop assuming. I am on solid ground, its you who is walking on thin ice.
    I invented that Fry is a man who places emphasis upon physical appearance? Nope. He openly admits he is gay in his argument against the Catholic church. (c.f. Fry, 1999, YouTube). Thus, I did not assert such or project that onto you. Your response of Fry being 'dandy' was totally out of context.

I am projecting or associating - really?....... yet you called Fry a 'dandy', and we all know what your insinuation meant. Thus, you're ground is weak, almost like sinking sand.

Next time, respond with your own words, and not with googled weakness.

-m. 😉
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 07:33
    I invented that Fry is a man who places emphasis upon physical appearance? Nope. He openly admits he is gay in his argument against the Catholic church. (c.f. Fry, 1999, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eeD6C0RWVk). Thus, I did not assert such or project that onto you. Your response of Fry being 'dandy' was totally out of context.

I am projecting or assoc ...[text shortened]... inking sand.

Next time, respond with your own words, and not with googled weakness.

-m. 😉
    On the contrary you thought that by my use of the term dandy i was making a reference to his sexual practices. I was not, you assumed that I was and projected your assumption onto me. You are still attempting to project your assumption despite being faced with a rather clear definition of the term. May i suggest to you that you were in fact ignorant of what the term dandy actually means.

I did respond with my own words, words which you assumed you know what they meant. Your hyperbole and references to weakness and sinking in sand is simply a smoke screen when you have been faced with incontrovertible evidence of your assuption. Please stop assuming what people mean its undignified and prejudicial. Let it serve as a lesson to you.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 07:341 edit
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Robbie

Although I concede that you are winning this 'dandy' argument, do you really think that the 20 stone plus, v broken nosed Mr Fry is someone who places 'particular importance upon physical appearance'???

He aint no Brad Pitt !!!
    I am quite sure that he shops in all the right places. He is the epitome of Dandyism.
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 08:22

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 08:461 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Fry has his own agenda, he stands condemned in Biblical terms for his sexual practices, he is hardly likely to be objective in his appraisal and what one actually finds are rather hackneyed and emotive arguments reminiscent of a tabloid newspaper and unworthy of serious concern. One invariably finds that the biggest critics of the Biblical God are the ones that least understand the book from which the characteristics are portrayed by simple reason of the fact that they have never studied it in any depth, thus you get Dandys like Fry voicing their opinions on national networks as if they are relevant to anyone but him and people who think like him. He is a cult of personality. You might think he makes sense but personally i don't think he has the slightest idea what he's talking about. In fact its self evident that he has no idea what he is talking about.

Even little children who go to Sunday school know that God did not create a world where children suffer terminal illnesses, he infact created an earthly paradise (according to the bible). How we have come to the present condition is of some interest but this is not the place for it.

Dandys like Fry often use emotive subjects like children and cancers because well its an emotive subject, ask him about the highest ever recorded figures for HIV among homosexual men in the UK and he's strangely silent. Does he not also find that objectionable? I don't think we shall be taking any lessons in morality from him.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '15 09:09
    Ingmar Bergman - Knights confession in The Seventh Seal

Block: I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams.

Priest: Yet you do not want to die.

Block: Yes, I do.
    [As Block looks away, we see now that the "priest" is actually Death.]

Priest/Death: What are you waiting for?

Block: Knowledge.

Priest/Death: You want a guarantee.

Block: Call it what you will.

Block: Is it so hard to conceive God with one's senses? Why must He hide in a midst of vague promises and invisible miracles? How are we to believe the believers when we don't believe ourselves? What will become of us who want to believe but cannot? And what of those who neither will nor can believe? Why can I not kill God within me? Why does He go on living in a painful, humiliating way? I want to tear Him out of my heart, but He remains a mocking reality which I cannot get rid of. Do you hear me?

Priest/Death: I hear you.

Block: I want knowledge. Not belief. Not surmise. But knowledge. I want God to put out His hand, show His face, speak to me.

Priest/Death: But He is silent.

Block: I cry to Him in the dark, but there seems to be no one there.

Priest/Death: Perhaps there is no one there.

Block: Then life is a senseless terror. No man can live with Death and know that everything is nothing.

Priest/Death: Most people think neither of Death nor nothingness.

Block: Until they stand on the edge of life and see the Darkness.

Priest/Death: Ah, that day.

Block: [laughs bitterly] I see. We must make an idol of our fear, and call it God.

Priest/Death: You are uneasy.

Block: Death visited me this morning. We are playing chess. This respite enables me to perform a vital errand.

Priest/Death: What errand?

Block: My whole life has been a meaningless search. I say it without bitterness or self-reproach. I know it is the same for all. But I want to use my respite for one significant action.

Priest/Death: So you play chess with Death?

Block: He is a skillful tactician, [smiling] but I have not yet lost one piece.

Priest/Death: How can you outwit Death?

Block: [smiling] By a combination of bishop and knight. I will break his flank.
    [The "priest" turns to face Block through the screen.]

Priest/Death: I shall remember that.
    [Block stands up, startled.]

Block: Traitor! You have tricked me! But I'll find a way out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree