1. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 12:03
    or Greengrocers' Apostrophe, if you prefer.

Is this taught in schools in the 21st century?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 12:06
    @kewpie said

I would prefer it if the word “apostrophe” didn’t have a capital A in the title, nor in the post.

Thank you.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 12:11
    @kewpie said

If the thread title is "Greengrocer's Apostrophe", then I think there should be an article ~ indefinite or definite ~ before "Greengrocer's". Sorry to bring it up.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 12:14
    @divegeester said
    I would prefer it if the word “apostrophe” didn’t have a capital A in the title, nor in the post.
    You fail to point out that if it's to be "Greengrocers' " then it should be "Apostrophes" plural [regardless of whether it's capitalized or not].
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 13:07
    I can see an English lesson coming on here! 😉

-VR
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 15:27
    @fmf said
    You fail to point out that if it's to be "Greengrocers' " then it should be "Apostrophes" plural [regardless of whether it's capitalized or not].
    No “failure”.

I just doesn't like to point to to many corrective grammar errors in one post, especially when I’m none so good at it mineself.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 16:04
    @kewpie said

The "Greengrocer's Apostrophe" is the incorrect use of an apostrophe before the final s in plural nouns (e.g., noun's). If it's taught in schools, the teacher should be fired.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 18:26
    @handyandy said
    The "Greengrocer's Apostrophe" is the incorrect use of an apostrophe before the final s in plural nouns (e.g., noun's). If it's taught in schools, the teacher should be fired.
    What about the teacher that taught that teacher? 😉 😛

-VR
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Feb '21 18:40
    @very-rusty said
    What about the teacher that taught that teacher?
    who taught that teacher
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 01:181 edit
    @fmf said
    Not if the Greengrocers were sharing one Apostrophe between them, thus having joint ownership, as indicated by the apostrophe on the end of greengrocers. (Random use of CaPitALs)

Sorry to be a pedant, but you would know all about that.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 07:54
    So is 'The greengrocers' apostrophe' correct for everyone?

I bought a kilo of apostrophes from our local greengrocer yesterday, very nice with bangers and mash.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 08:30
    @handyandy said
    But in the case of the thread title, where the G and the A are capitalised to indicate a figurative subject, the subject being “Greengrocer’s (exemplar use of) Apostrophe(s)”. It is not a literal possessive which is being described.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 11:291 edit
    http://www.compassrose.com/grammar/greengrocer.html
    This page is one of my sources, and the two capitalised letters came from it, although I felt the word "The" was superfluous.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 11:37
    @kewpie said
    http://www.compassrose.com/grammar/greengrocer.html
    This page is one of my sources, and the two capitalised letters came from it, although I felt the word "The" was superfluous.
    I think the capital A is appropriate for the titular aspect of “Greengrocers Apostrophe”, I.e. to denote the figurative concept, but not in its grammatical use to indicate the possessive.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 11:55
    @kewpie said
    I felt the word "The" was superfluous.
    But "apostrophe" is a countable noun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree