1. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 22:55
    @fmf said
    Forgive my instinctive horns, but perhaps he got his Ph.D. from some beastly redbrick university?
    How frightful. Or even worse maybe a Poly?
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 22:58
    @suzianne said
    Probably better than from some random walk-up, yeah?
    Or maybe some Christian University recommended by Matt Walsh?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 23:39
    @the-gravedigger said
    How frightful. Or even worse maybe a Poly?
    I have a friend who got a Ph.D. in Spanish Family Cars of the 1970s from Hatfield Polytechnic in 1979. Oh well, it wasn't a complete waste. He was a car park attendant at the main shopping mall in Marbella for many years.
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 00:37
    @fmf said
    I have a friend who got a Ph.D. in Spanish Family Cars of the 1970s from Hatfield Polytechnic in 1979. Oh well, it wasn't a complete waste. He was a car park attendant at the main shopping mall in Marbella for many years.
    Outstanding. My pal got a degree in golf course management and now he washes dogs for a living.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 01:23
    @the-gravedigger said
    Outstanding. My pal got a degree in golf course management and now he washes dogs for a living.
    Funny you should say that. Some of my chips from the rough around the green are absolute dogs. That is despite my composite M.Sc. degree in Poodle Clipping, English Fried Potatoes, and Advanced Lawn Mowing.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:04
    @fmf said
    This claim about yourself sits very incongruously alongside the rather scathing broad-brush comments you make about people with conservative values with whom you have political disagreements.
    To those wishing desperately to make a point, I guess.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:05

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:06
    @fmf said
    What does "some random walk-up" mean in the context of what I posted? Someone with a Ph.D.? A university? I concede you may well be saying something funnier than what I posted, but you need to explain. Do you have "random walk-up" Ph.Ds in the U.S.? Do you have "random walk-up" universities? There's no such thing in the U.K.
    Thanks for making my point.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:07
    @fmf said
    Funny you should say that. Some of my chips from the rough around the green are absolute dogs. That is despite my composite M.Sc. degree in Poodle Clipping, English Fried Potatoes, and Advanced Lawn Mowing.
    All from random walk-ups, no doubt.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:30
    @suzianne said
    To those wishing desperately to make a point, I guess.
    There's nothing "desperate" about it. The incongruity is obvious.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:34
    @suzianne said
    All from random walk-ups, no doubt.
    What does "random walk-up" mean in this situation? I concede that your quip about "random walk-ups" may well be far, far funnier than my quip about "beastly redbrick universities" but what is a "random walk-up" in the context of postgraduate degrees and universities?

I'd so like to know why your quip was funny. As things stand, it just sounds like the first random thing that came into your mind and you decided to type it, perhaps because you were upset about something.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '24 06:35
    @suzianne said
    Thanks for making my point.
    I don't think you have made a "point" yet. Do you have "random walk-up" Ph.Ds in the U.S.? Do you have "random walk-up" universities?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree