1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 08:38
    Unconscious bias can impact any of us and in all walks of life.

Relationships; e.g. falling in love at first sight.

Workplace; e.g. hiring the candidate who is the best dressed, spoken or groomed.

Acquaintances; e.g. having a bad experience with one or two people can lead to generalising “people are awful” which could lead to isolation.

Are you aware of when you have misstepped and found yourself attributing either a “halo” or “horns” to someone or a group?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 19:16
    Three horns so far then… 😂
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 19:48
    @divegeester said
    Three horns so far then… 😂
    Gooster, You somehow always manage to step in it! 🙂

-VR
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 20:38
    Reminds me of a funny incident a couple of months ago. I own a track car with 3 pals, nothing fancy, just a Mazda MX5. One afternoon one of my pals brought a friend of his over to drive the car. A young chap, softly spoken. After driving the car he said the engine is not running quite right. 'Oh and just what qualifies you to say that' I said. He replied 'I have a PhD in automotive engineering and design engines for Mclaren.'
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 01:19
    @divegeester said
    Are you aware of when you have misstepped and found yourself attributing either a “halo” or “horns” to someone or a group?
    With all the resources now available on the net I have more access to ideas and arguments that I might have dismissed or even been contemptuous of in the past [horns] - and therefore I have gained a more nuanced appreciation of them - while also becoming more acutely aware of the flaws in ideas and arguments that I might have given an unthinking or ideological free pass to in the past [halo].
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 20:36
    @the-gravedigger said
    Reminds me of a funny incident a couple of months ago. I own a track car with 3 pals, nothing fancy, just a Mazda MX5. One afternoon one of my pals brought a friend of his over to drive the car. A young chap, softly spoken. After driving the car he said the engine is not running quite right. 'Oh and just what qualifies you to say that' I said. He replied 'I have a PhD in automotive engineering and design engines for Mclaren.'
    Did you ask for proof?🤔
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 21:07
    @great-big-stees said
    Did you ask for proof?🤔
    He said it in front of people who know him so I don't think he was lying.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 03:00
    @the-gravedigger said
    He said it in front of people who know him so I don't think he was lying.
    Forgive my instinctive horns, but perhaps he got his Ph.D. from some beastly redbrick university?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 06:40
    @fmf said
    Forgive my instinctive horns, but perhaps he got his Ph.D. from some beastly redbrick university?
    Probably better than from some random walk-up, yeah?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 06:431 edit
    @suzianne said
    Probably better than from some random walk-up, yeah?
    Perhaps your funny quip about "some random walk-up" is funny, or funnier than my quip about redbrick universities, I'll grant you; but I cannot say for sure that it is because I don't know what "some random walk-up" means: is it an American expression?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 06:51
    @divegeester said
    Unconscious bias can impact any of us and in all walks of life.

Relationships; e.g. falling in love at first sight.

Workplace; e.g. hiring the candidate who is the best dressed, spoken or groomed.

Acquaintances; e.g. having a bad experience with one or two people can lead to generalising “people are awful” which could lead to isolation.

Are you aware of wh ...[text shortened]... you have misstepped and found yourself attributing either a “halo” or “horns” to someone or a group?
    So you assume that whatever-it-was was a misstep and not absolutely bang-on correct at first blush?

I haven't made a social misstep in years. Every time I meet someone new, I get along with most, but every single time I think to myself, geez, this guy seems like a jerk, he later proves himself to be all that and more.

I never "generalize" with people, just as I don't use stereotypes; everyone is their own person and deserves to be treated that way. "Unconscious bias" is a weakness I do not indulge in.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 06:59
    @fmf said
    Perhaps your funny quip about "some random walk-up" is funny, or funnier than my quip about redbrick universities, I'll grant you; but I cannot say for sure that it is because I don't know what "some random walk-up" means: is it an American expression?
    I'll indulge you this time. Plus, you asked nicely (for you, at least).

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/walk-up
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 07:441 edit
    @suzianne said
    I'll indulge you this time. Plus, you asked nicely (for you, at least).

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/walk-up
    What does "some random walk-up" mean in the context of what I posted? Someone with a Ph.D.? A university? I concede you may well be saying something funnier than what I posted, but you need to explain. Do you have "random walk-up" Ph.Ds in the U.S.? Do you have "random walk-up" universities? There's no such thing in the U.K.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 07:501 edit
    @suzianne said
    I haven't made a social misstep in years. Every time I meet someone new, I get along with most, but every single time I think to myself, geez, this guy seems like a jerk, he later proves himself to be all that and more.

I never "generalize" with people, just as I don't use stereotypes; everyone is their own person and deserves to be treated that way. "Unconscious bias" is a weakness I do not indulge in.
    It is interesting that you would think the OP is about you personally.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 08:07
    @suzianne said
    This claim about yourself sits very incongruously alongside the rather scathing broad-brush comments you make about people with conservative values with whom you have political disagreements.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree