1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 12:02
    This was in my Sunday newspaper. Just thought I'd share.

Enough already with the guilt-ridden, I'm-so-fat, I'm-so-lazy, I-must-fix-my-life New Year's Resolutions. We're over it. They don't help. Get a grip! There's nothing wrong with you. You're fine. Sure, pick a goal. Do it. You're capable. But no more beating yourself up. The phrase is not 'Have a Guilty New Year'. Take a breath. See the good in yourself. If you must make a resolution, start with one of those you'll find on Page 2. Because the biggest word in 'Happy New Year' should be... HAPPY.

Page 2

Leave your change in the vending machine for the next person to find. / Send a handwritten letter to a child. With a stamp. Write his or her name on the envelope. He or she should know the thrill. / Kiss someone as if you mean it. / Get 10 things out of your closet that make you feel bad. Give them to Goodwill. / Frame a piece of art. / Adopt a dog or cat from a rescue organization. / Go 24 hours without the internet. / Throw out the old ketchup packets in your desk drawer. / Find a new recipe. No, a new one. / When a friend or co-worker loses a loved one, mark it on the calendar. Ask how he or she is doing in six months. / See a late movie. / Wear your seat belt, and make others do it, too. / Do one thing you keep putting off. / Laugh out loud in real life. / Download music in another language. / Take your child out of school one day and go play. / Get to know the benefit of the doubt. / Leave a wildly inappropriate tip. / Take a leap of faith. / Change the radio station. / Stop feeling guilty unless you really are. / Get a physical. / Buy something in a new color. / Eat somewhere across town. / Notice someone. / Come up with a new, satisfying cuss word. / Sign your organ-donation card. / Write a manifesto. / Watch an old movie. / Pay anonymously for the person behind you in the drive-through lane at the coffee shop. / Buy flowers for no reason. / Eat on the patio in January. Call a friend in the Northeast as you do. / Find an old friend. / Pick up a rock that catches your eye. Carry it around in your pocket. / Make a CD or playlist of the music you loved in high school. Play it to distraction. / Spend one day by yourself. / Deal with your photos. (You know you want to.) / Make an appointment with yourself at 3 each day to walk around the block. Yes, while you're at work. / Get a library card. Use it. / Dissect the junk drawer. / Who was your teenage pop crush? Find a photo and print it. / Put the Christmas lights away right. / Pick one thing you don't understand and learn about it. / Stop texting while driving. / Buy new music. And not just the top-selling hit on iTunes. / Pick one negative thing your brain tells you and set it straight. / Talk to the person in the corner. / Stop for a doughnut. Just one. / Put folded-up dollar bills in a spot in your car so you can easily give one to someone on the corner. / Learn the art of deep breathing. / Watch cartoons on Saturday morning. / Stop using made-up words. / Take old towels to a vet or pet shelter. / Write a fan letter. / Vow to stop dressing up your pets. / Register to vote. / Actually vote. / Make a list of your 10 favorite books and re-read them. / Pay attention to a child who isn't yours. / Vow to look at the cellphone bill and figure out why it costs that much. / Walk up one flight of stairs a day. When you can do that, make it two. / Mute the commercials. / Ask doctors hard questions. They work for you. / Deal with what holds you back. / Buy a turntable at a garage sale and play your vinyl records. / Smile at someone cute in a car. / Are you a birthday slacker? Vow not to miss one all year. / Put an old leash in your car in case you see a lost dog. / If you never apologize, learn to do it well. If you apologize too often, learn to stop. / Buy ribbon. / Put a plant on your desk. Something else should be alive in your cubicle. / If you're in a rut, get out. / Send a thank-you note to a teacher who made a difference in your life. / Take a different way to work. / Remember that dream? Take a baby step. Just one. / Write a love letter. / And okay, sure: eat well, exercise more, quit smoking. (No lecture, we just like having you around.)

With kudos to Diane Porter, Arizona Living editor, The Arizona Republic
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 13:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This was in my Sunday newspaper. Just thought I'd share.

Enough already with the guilt-ridden, I'm-so-fat, I'm-so-lazy, I-must-fix-my-life New Year's Resolutions. We're over it. They don't help. Get a grip! There's nothing wrong with you. You're fine. Sure, pick a goal. Do it. You're capable. But no more beating yourself up. The phrase is not ...[text shortened]... g you around.)

With kudos to Diane Porter, Arizona Living editor, The Arizona Republic
    Thanks, Suzi. Only sensible way to make 'resolutions' is daily; they're
    called priorities. "Go 24 hours without the internet.": I'll do this one today,
    in the hope that this nasal congestion and intermittent chills will pass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree