1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 May '22 16:02
    @vivify said
    Again, I'm not talking about "exceptional" athletes. The skill and athleticism of any average high school athlete far surpasses high schooler athletes from the 50s.

There's no indication we're getting weaker.
    There are many indications we are weaker, you just don't see them.

-VR
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 May '22 16:411 edit
    @fmf said
    High school athletes are not representative of the ordinary students who make up the majority of people of their age. I'd say with widespread obesity, diabetes and other lifestyle circumstances, that your average high school age kid is probably weaker than his or her counterpart 70 years ago.
    Okay. But you said as a "species", implying you're referring to our evolutionary progression.

If you want to argue this current generation may be weaker than those in the past due to the factors you mentioned, that's different from humans being genetically weaker.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 May '22 16:471 edit
    @vivify said
    Okay. But you said as a "species", implying you're referring to our evolutionary progression.

If you want to argue this current generation may be weaker than those in the past due to the factors you mentioned, that's different from humans being genetically weaker.
    No I was talking about individual men we may be getting smarter but weaker physically. This is what I am telling you. I know I wouldn't want to go up against a man who lived 100 years ago with his strength in today's world. That only takes us back to 1922.

-VR
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 May '22 10:49
    @fmf said
    Despite the progress we have made, what has made human beings weaker as a species?
    For a meaningful discussion define "progress" and "weakness".

And to show that I did think a bit:

* As a species we are more individuals since the advent of the big city than before. That could be a sign of being a "strong" species.

* the number of babies born by cesarean secition has increased since the advent of big cities. That could be seen as a sign of progress (less dead babies and mothers) and as a sign of wekness (daughters of mothers with small hips will face (with high probability) the smae problem) or as strength (after all we keep people alive).
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '22 11:10
    @fmf said
    Despite the progress we have made, what has made human beings weaker as a species?
    Characters like you. Extrapolate from that however you like.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:43
    @very-rusty said
    No I was talking about individual men we may be getting smarter but weaker physically. This is what I am telling you. I know I wouldn't want to go up against a man who lived 100 years ago with his strength in today's world. That only takes us back to 1922.

-VR
    And some of them aren't even getting any smarter by way of compensation.

It's just "lose/lose" with some people.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:48
    @vivify said
    I disagree. Athletes are constantly breaking each and every record they set and have been doing so for over a hundred years. Jesse Owens couldn't hang with today's track stars.
    There will always be outstanding individuals.

I believe his focus was "as a species."

For everyone breaking records there are scores sitting on their ass getting arteriosclerosis.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:48
    @ponderable said
    For a meaningful discussion define "progress" and "weakness".
    Point taken. Define them as you see fit. If anything I've said about weakness or progress has been neaningless to you, I'm ok with that.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:50
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    men are breaking all record as are women, faster, stronger,fitter & longer living.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 13:56
    @vivify said
    Athletes all across the board at all levels are better, not just the "exceptional specimens". A high basketball player now is incomparably better than high school player from the 50's.
    OK, fair enough.

What about this?

'Each new generation of humans that populates the Earth is incrementally weaker than its predecessor in terms of what it would take to prevail in the aftermath of a planet-wide total loss of the technology of its era.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 May '22 14:53
    @fmf said
    OK, fair enough.

What about this?

'Each new generation of humans that populates the Earth is incrementally weaker than its predecessor in terms of what it would take to prevail in the aftermath of a planet-wide total loss of the technology of its era.
    We certainly “depend”, or seem to, on new technologies and as the “older” generations pass on, a lot of what they have passed on to the younger ones is forgotten, when the time for it’s use, is needed. History most often, repeats itself.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 May '22 15:01
    About coping: We do have books and can at least with some effort relearn "forgotten" technology.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 May '22 15:45
    @badradger said
    men are breaking all record as are women, faster, stronger,fitter & longer living.
    These are trained Athletes not your common joe!

-VR
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 May '22 15:46
    @suzianne said
    And some of them aren't even getting any smarter by way of compensation.

It's just "lose/lose" with some people.
    Hard to argue with that statement!

-VR
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 May '22 15:54
    @ponderable said
    About coping: We do have books and can at least with some effort relearn "forgotten" technology.
    Aren't writing and the printed word forms of technology?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree