1. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    21 May '19 20:14
    @chessturd said
    I am exactly the same in person as I am online.

Would love to go to a redhotpawn meet up πŸ˜‰
    They used to have those back in the day.
    If you behave we will let you wash the dishes. πŸ˜‰
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 May '19 20:15
    @the-gravedigger said
    If you behave we will let you wash the dishes. πŸ˜‰
    Wash the dishes or dash his wishes?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '19 13:07
    @sonhouse said

I looked at OSC and found there is another book in the series, "Shadows Alive''. Have you read that one?
    "Shadows Alive" is yet to be released.

There was some confusion between it and "Shadows in Flight", because Card had originally planned on releasing them in opposite order. As it is, "Shadows in Flight" is the fifth in the Shadow Saga, while "Shadows Alive" will be sixth (when it comes out).

Have I read it? No, I am sadly adrift with OSC's books. I finished Ender's Game, but didn't even finish Speaker for the Dead.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '19 13:22
    @sonhouse said
    I go through the used book stores and just grab mainly hard sci fi. Read most of Anderson's '7 suns' series.
    I thought you meant Poul Anderson until I realized you had to mean Kevin J. Anderson.

If you're into hard sci-fi, look into Tau Zero (1970) (Hugo nomination in 1971) by Poul Anderson. It deals with time dilation and I found it fascinating because I had studied a bit of relativity on my own maybe 6 months before I read it.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '19 17:08
    @suzianne said
    I thought you meant Poul Anderson until I realized you had to mean Kevin J. Anderson.

If you're into hard sci-fi, look into Tau Zero (1970) (Hugo nomination in 1971) by Poul Anderson. It deals with time dilation and I found it fascinating because I had studied a bit of relativity on my own maybe 6 months before I read it.
    I am reading a Poul Anderson book, For Love and Glory. 100 books to his credit! I wonder if anyone will best Asimov, 450 books I think.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 May '19 21:33
    @sonhouse said
    I am reading a Poul Anderson book, For Love and Glory. 100 books to his credit! I wonder if anyone will best Asimov, 450 books I think.
    Probably not, because Asimov also wrote science essays, explaining science to the layman, syndicated in hundreds of newspapers nationwide back in the day. I have several of these collections in paperback, and I pull one out once in a while because I love his writing style.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '19 01:48
    @suzianne said
    Probably not, because Asimov also wrote science essays, explaining science to the layman, syndicated in hundreds of newspapers nationwide back in the day. I have several of these collections in paperback, and I pull one out once in a while because I love his writing style.
    Can you imagine having a library of over 400 books, all written by you? That moggles the bind!
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 May '19 08:391 edit
    @sonhouse said
    Can you imagine having a library of over 400 books, all written by you? That moggles the bind!
    Sounds like "alternate reality" stuff to me.

J. K. Rowling, I'm not.
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 00:17
    @suzianne said
    Was it this one?

"Gene Wars", by Paul J. McAuley, first appeared in 1991, it was in a number of anthologies, including The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection. Greg Egan also had two stories in that collection.
    I reread this a few days ago while flying out of town. Very compactly written. I knew it was short but not that short. Maybe if I have a suitable notion for the Prose Comp I'll try to emulate that.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 May '19 01:36
    @caesar-salad said
    I reread this a few days ago while flying out of town. Very compactly written. I knew it was short but not that short. Maybe if I have a suitable notion for the Prose Comp I'll try to emulate that.
    Yes, the killer in the Prose competition is the word count. One hopes that the actual prose isn't sacrificed for space.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 May '19 22:21
    @suzianne said
    Yes, the killer in the Prose competition is the word count. One hopes that the actual prose isn't sacrificed for space.
    Hey Suzianne, why don't you start a free Soundcloud account, and post some of your music here? I would love to hear it. Whatever it is you do. Have you composed anything of your own?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '19 23:20
    @sonhouse said
    Hey Suzianne, why don't you start a free Soundcloud account, and post some of your music here? I would love to hear it. Whatever it is you do. Have you composed anything of your own?
    I don't write music, don't have the talent for it.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 May '19 23:38
    @suzianne said
    I don't write music, don't have the talent for it.
    I am told there are no words to describe my singing, so I pretty much keep it to the shower! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 May '19 16:49
    @very-rusty said
    I am told there are no words to describe my singing, so I pretty much keep it to the shower! πŸ˜‰

-VR
    I too serve the musical community by NOT singingπŸ˜‰ I leave that to my wife when we do gigs. I am totally content to just play guitar or mandolin or keyboards.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jun '19 20:47
    @suzianne said
    "Shadows Alive" is yet to be released.

There was some confusion between it and "Shadows in Flight", because Card had originally planned on releasing them in opposite order. As it is, "Shadows in Flight" is the fifth in the Shadow Saga, while "Shadows Alive" will be sixth (when it comes out).

Have I read it? No, I am sadly adrift with OSC's books. I finished Ender's Game, but didn't even finish Speaker for the Dead.
    What do you think of Bova? I am reading 'New Earth' and am kind of put off by the premise, a near exact copy of Earth 8 ly away around one of the Sirius triplet stars, populated with humans........

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree