General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35774
    12 Nov '16 16:29
    Hillary wasn't defeated by an angry middle-America tired of being ignored by Washington. She wasn't beaten by an opponent who skillfully "exposed her for 'what she is' ".

    She was slowly and carefully roasted on a rotisserie created by the lazy corporate media "in-group", not through traditional non-biased media reporting, but through a long series of "memes" and a base of untrue "common knowledge" built up over her long public-service tenure.

    Americans have long trusted our media to report truth, in an unbiased way. The fourth estate is supposed to be above the partisan rhetoric polluting our political landscape. It was that exact way for generations in this country, but the media has gotten lazy and dependent on what others write, so as not to appear to be "outside the mainstream".

    Neil H. Buchanan is an economist and legal scholar, a professor of law at George Washington University and a senior fellow at the Taxation Law and Policy Research Institute at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. He teaches tax law, tax policy, contracts, and law and economics. His research addresses the long-term tax and spending patterns of the federal government, focusing on budget deficits, the national debt, health care costs and Social Security.

    Read his Opinion piece in Newsweek magazine at this link:

    http://www.newsweek.com/neil-buchanan-cruel-crooked-caricature-doomed-clinton-520125

    And for the relentlessly ignorant blowhards (the tl;dr crowd) who can't be bothered to read anything longer than a bumper sticker, here are the last three paragraphs of the piece:

    "To return to my image of the bully and his victim in high school, it was bad enough that Clinton had to deal with Trump's provocations. He was the one tying her shoelaces together and pushing her, but the supposedly liberal press was throwing things at her and telling her to catch them or dodge them as she tried not to fall down the stairs.

    She still managed to come out of it all with her dignity intact, never falling even as the last banana peels were thrown in her path.

    Yet now some people want to blame her for being flawed. She lost a winnable election, they say, but she did so because she could not overcome voter suppression or a relentlessly harsh media narrative. She—and the country—deserved better. Now, we will all pay the price."
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    12 Nov '16 21:39
    Trump received a far worse thrashing in the media and the internet.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    421869
    12 Nov '16 21:47
    I believe the white working class wanted change. We will just have to wait and see what Trump does. Talk is cheap, lets see the talk put into action and watch the results.

    -VR
  4. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Joined
    17 Jul '08
    Moves
    1749
    12 Nov '16 22:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yet now some people want to blame her for being flawed. She lost a winnable election, they say, but she did so because she could not overcome voter suppression or a relentlessly harsh media narrative. She—and the country—deserved better. Now, we will all pay the price."
    Harsh media narrative? Do you think the media too harsh on democratic collusion to suppress Sanders? We should be hailing President-elect Sanders now. Perhaps a bitter dose of Trump is just what the true progressives in this nation need to unhitch from the donkey team.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    12 Nov '16 22:091 edit
    Sorry, Suzi, but the media as a bastion of U.S. democracy is one of the
    biggest lies ever sold to the gullible, chauvinistic pleb. Don't go too far,
    just around the corner to a few decades ago, when those "brave
    paladins" of truth did to Gary Webb when he unmasked Reagan's
    administration for flooding black neighborhoods with crack to finance the
    crackdown of democracy in Central America.
    They ultimately drove his to suicide.

    And we're talking L.A. Times, Washington Post, the whole enchilada. I
    strongly suggest you check Glenn Greenwald's "With Liberty and Justice
    for Some". The rule of law is a joke, and the press is part of the
    machinery of the 1% to keep one system for them, permissive and
    pampering, and another for the masses.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    13 Nov '16 00:33
    Trump's victory is a huge thumbs down for the disappointing Obama who got elected in 2008 for his promise to change things after the highly unpopular Bush. Maybe Saunders could have beaten Trump, but he probably wouldn't have.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    138068
    13 Nov '16 01:19
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Sorry, Suzi, but the media as a bastion of U.S. democracy is one of the
    biggest lies ever sold to the gullible, chauvinistic pleb. Don't go too far,
    just around the corner to a few decades ago, when those "brave
    paladins" of truth did to Gary Webb when he unmasked Reagan's
    administration for flooding black neighborhoods with crack to finance the
    crac ...[text shortened]... ry of the 1% to keep one system for them, permissive and
    pampering, and another for the masses.
    I had never heard of Gary Webb. So I googled him.

    Died of 2 gunshots wounds to the head. Suicide ??
    Hmmm....
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Nov '16 01:23
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    I had never heard of Gary Webb. So I googled him.

    Died of 2 gunshots wounds to the head. Suicide ??
    Hmmm....
    Its possible but rare.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_gunshot_suicide
  9. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    197384
    13 Nov '16 02:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hillary wasn't defeated by an angry middle-America tired of being ignored by Washington. She wasn't beaten by an opponent who skillfully "exposed her for 'what she is' ".

    She was slowly and carefully roasted on a rotisserie created by the lazy corporate media "in-group", not through traditional non-biased media reporting, but through a long series of "m ...[text shortened]... sly harsh media narrative. She—and the country—deserved better. Now, we will all pay the price."
    hillary lost because the black vote was not there
    had they supported her the same way they supported obama
    she would be president
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Nov '16 02:43
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    hillary lost because the black vote was not there
    had they supported her the same way they supported obama
    she would be president
    I did not realise just how racially divided America seems to be. People are getting beaten up because they voted for a particular candidate.
  11. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    197384
    13 Nov '16 03:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I did not realise just how racially divided America seems to be. People are getting beaten up because they voted for a particular candidate.
    it's history x
  12. Subscriberdivegeester
    Racist, apparently
    Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88343
    13 Nov '16 09:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hillary wasn't defeated by an angry middle-America tired of being ignored by Washington. She wasn't beaten by an opponent who skillfully "exposed her for 'what she is' ".

    She was slowly and carefully roasted on a rotisserie created by the lazy corporate media "in-group", not through traditional non-biased media reporting, but through a long series of "m ...[text shortened]... sly harsh media narrative. She—and the country—deserved better. Now, we will all pay the price."
    Isn't she being investigated by the FBI?
  13. Subscriberdivegeester
    Racist, apparently
    Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88343
    13 Nov '16 10:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I did not realise just how racially divided America seems to be. People are getting beaten up because they voted for a particular candidate.
    I lost friends over Brexit, was sterotyped as a racist and ridiculed by people I've known for years, simply because I am anti EU. I never once insulted anyone because they were pro EU.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    13 Nov '16 10:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I never once insulted anyone because they were pro EU.
    With their pro-EU views not having faults or weaknesses, you could have simply used gratuitous insults instead.
  15. Joined
    12 Nov '05
    Moves
    139939
    13 Nov '16 10:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Trump's victory is a huge thumbs down for the disappointing Obama who got elected in 2008 for his promise to change things after the highly unpopular Bush. Maybe Saunders could have beaten Trump, but he probably wouldn't have.
    I thought Hilary lost because of what she did to Saunders? (im not in the US so can only speculate)

    Obama couldn't get most of what he wanted done as the republicans blocked a lot in the Senate?

    How much will Trump be able to get through the senate i wonder?
Back to Top