1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 04:11
    As big as Texas? Belgium/Wales? A pea? Monty Python? Brahms?

Mine's the size of an infinitely twinned town in southern Germany. Or crèpes avec citron et sucre.
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 08:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 13:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Do you have a cleaner? And someone to maintain the doors?
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 17:00
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason

Mine's the size of an infinitely twinned town in southern Germany. Or crèpes avec citron et sucre.
    Not sure but it's open.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 17:33
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Not sure but it's open.
    And you wonder why you have a family of rats living there...
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 17:52

"The human brain...simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.

The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

The eye...can distinguish among seven million colors. It has automatic focusing and handles an astounding 1.5 million messages -- simultaneously. Evolution focuses on mutations and changes from and within existing organisms. Yet evolution alone does not fully explain the initial source of the eye or the brain -- the start of living organisms from nonliving matter." (Marilyn Adamson) http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

NoEarthlyReason, I've often wondered if the size and shape of the human head relates to brain size and function.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 18:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The human brain...simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and ...[text shortened]... I've often wondered if the size and shape of the human head relates to brain size and function.
    I've always thought of my mind being different from my brain. The mind, I feel, is my consciousness, to sum it up in a word. My brain is under the control of my mind, or at least they have a relationship that flows both ways. I realise it's probably not scientific, but it's part of my personality. I'm a huge admirer of science and am utterly dismayed by many people who wilfully ignore its lessons, especially on climate change, the theory of evolution and a huge number of other issues, but I enjoy exploring my imagination and creativity, for which I need to preserve and cultivate my little idiosyncrasies, which do noone any harm.

I think science would tell you unequivocally that human brain function is the same whatever the head size, but it is quite obvious to someone with high school biology (and physics) that brain size correlates fairly closely with head size. It's just common sense, really. What some people think is common sense and is nothing of the sort, is that brain size and intelligence are directly proportional. It's quite a sinister idea, really.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 18:36
    Originally posted by Trev33
    And you wonder why you have a family of rats living there...
    Not at all. As I said, it's open.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 19:15
    I've always thought of my mind being different from my brain. The mind, I feel, is my consciousness, to sum it up in a word. My brain is under the control of my mind, or at least they have a relationship that flows both ways. I realise it's probably not scientific, but it's part of my personality. I'm a huge admirer of science and am utterly dismayed ...[text shortened]... that brain size and intelligence are directly proportional. It's quite a sinister idea, really.
    "that brain size correlates fairly closely with head size." NoEarthlyReason

Interesting reply. Question: Do you have a large/big 'head size'? lol
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 20:02

My mind fills my huge head very well thank you.
  11. In your face
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 22:36
    I'm not sure if my mind fills the universe or the universe fills my mind.
  12. In your face
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 23:11
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    I'm not sure if my mind fills the universe or the universe fills my mind.
    One thing is for sure though, it's not small enough to go round thumbing down posts in an attempt to unsettle another person.

Sad w@nkers.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 01:021 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason... brain size correlates fairly closely with head size. It's just common sense, really. [/b]
    I'd advocate much of what you say. But I know some ancient dinos were so massive they needed a hind-brain to move their hind-legs. Entire brain sub-structures were evolved to deal with that, and we are not immune. Go meet your hind-brain! It works so good, we use them to figure out logic. Not kidding. Deer-trail, logic-trail, what ever.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 08:34
    Like a cloud
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 08:34
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'd advocate much of what you say. But I know some ancient dinos were so massive they needed a hind-brain to move their hind-legs. Entire brain sub-structures were evolved to deal with that, and we are not immune. Go meet your hind-brain! It works so good, we use them to figure out logic. Not kidding. Deer-trail, logic-trail, what ever.
    I was surprised once when I had an MRI or catscan of my own brain to find it took up every cubic inch of space inside my head and bursting at the seams to expand. I was surprised at how thin my cranial bones looked on that image and just how much of my internal head space was filled with brain tissue.

It kind of put my life in perspective.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree