How important is nostalgia?

How important is nostalgia?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
141d

@fmf said
The dichotomy here doesn't have to be CHILD v ADULT.
true

F

Moves
140d

@rookie54 said
true
A truer reply there has never been.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
140d
1 edit

@torunn said
True, a way of bringing back the good memories and a feeling of sadness that they passed to quickly.
there you go digging up the past,opening old wounds, just let sleeping dogs lie,for goodness sake.leave my skeletons in the closet.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
140d

@torunn said
@FMF
According to Cambridge dictionary: "...a feeling of pleasure and also slight sadness when you think about things that happened in the past." Exactly what it is to me. It helps me sort my memories.
After losing my youngest brother last year I tried to harvest many childhood memories of us growing up together. Then I found myself becoming nostalgic about my sons as children, remembering them both living at home and how their bedrooms looked. It was all part of my grieving process. I’m relieved it has all now passed.

Gothenburg

Moves
140d

@david-burton said
there you go digging up the past,opening old wounds, just let sleeping dogs lie,for goodness sake.leave my skeletons in the closet.
You take care of your skeletons, I take care of mine.

Moves
140d

Last night I stumbled on a metal box that my sister gave me after my dad passed away in 2018. I had forgotten about it. I sat down with a wee dram of Glenlivet and went through it’s contents. There was a lot of his WW11 paperwork (discharge papers, a letter from his commanding officer saying he was authorized to marry my mum) and pics, letters, birth certificates, some of his war medals and some miscellaneous stuff but the oddest thing, I must have missed it when looking through it when she gave it to me, was a chestnut. I have no idea what the significance of that was and I suppose I never will.🤔

Gothenburg

Moves
140d

@great-big-stees said
Last night I stumbled on a metal box that my sister gave me after my dad passed away in 2018. I had forgotten about it. I sat down with a wee dram of Glenlivet and went through it’s contents. There was a lot of his WW11 paperwork (discharge papers, a letter from his commanding officer saying he was authorized to marry my mum) and pics, letters, birth certificates, som ...[text shortened]... to me, was a chestnut. I have no idea what the significance of that was and I suppose I never will.🤔
I also saved a chestnut for a number of years, I don't know why. But as I am not a person who usually saves things - rather the opposite - at some time I believe some guy and I have held it in our hands and perhaps made a promise, and then forgotten all about it.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
140d

@great-big-stees said
Last night I stumbled on a metal box that my sister gave me after my dad passed away in 2018. I had forgotten about it. I sat down with a wee dram of Glenlivet and went through it’s contents. There was a lot of his WW11 paperwork (discharge papers, a letter from his commanding officer saying he was authorized to marry my mum) and pics, letters, birth certificates, som ...[text shortened]... to me, was a chestnut. I have no idea what the significance of that was and I suppose I never will.🤔
Hopefully a memento that gave him great happiness.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
140d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Hopefully a memento that gave him great happiness.
I have my brothers watch,I keep it in my bedside draw,I have had it overhauled at the jewelers,its waterproof to god knows how many meters,I have never worn it,I really miss him.

Moves
140d

O dear Nostalgia, can words ever explain you? You bittersweet thing. You make me laugh, you make me cry, you make me wish for the past, and make me cautious for the future. Nostalgia, you come around to comfort me, but you also torment me. Nostalgia, you are something out of the past, but you come alive only in the future.

Nostalgia is obviously dependent on memories. It relates to the past, but is tied to the present, and makes us look to the future, where more memories await us, if we live past the passing moment of now.

In my opinion, going by my memory of the moment, a realistic and appropriate representation of some of the aspects of nostalgia, in general, is related by two songs. One is from the play Cats, Memories, and the other is from the movie, The Way We Were, the Title song.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
140d

@david-burton said
I have my brothers watch,I keep it in my bedside draw,I have had it overhauled at the jewelers,its waterproof to god knows how many meters,I have never worn it,I really miss him.
It's good to have something tangible.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
140d

At the end all we have are memories.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
140d

@torunn said
I also saved a chestnut for a number of years, I don't know why. But as I am not a person who usually saves things - rather the opposite - at some time I believe some guy and I have held it in our hands and perhaps made a promise, and then forgotten all about it.
"Oh, that old chestnut." 😀

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
140d

@pettytalk said
O dear Nostalgia, can words ever explain you? You bittersweet thing. You make me laugh, you make me cry, you make me wish for the past, and make me cautious for the future. Nostalgia, you come around to comfort me, but you also torment me. Nostalgia, you are something out of the past, but you come alive only in the future.

Nostalgia is obviously dependent on memories. ...[text shortened]... e is from the play Cats, Memories, and the other is from the movie, The Way We Were, the Title song.
I always cry at "Memories".