1. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 21:31
    This is getting nosy, sure, but I’ve got to ask—
    * How many songs do you own in any format, such as vinyl, tape, CD, mp3?
    * How many books do you own?

My own answers are:
    Approximately 600 albums (mostly in CD format). Multiply that by a dozen songs per disc, and we get 7,200 songs.
    40 smallish bookshelves times 30 books per shelf plus another 200 books in boxes or closets, for 1,400 books.

* Bonus question: Do you throw away magazines when you have read them, or do you keep them for future re-reading?

I throw most away a couple months after acquiring them, but keep especially good issues for years.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 21:521 edit
    I have around 200 LPs, 100 8 tracks, same number of cassets, and 40 cds. Many of them are duplicates for the different formats.
    Books? I've never really counted them but I'd say about 300.
    Edit: Oooops forgot magazines. I have about 30 years of National Geographic, 10 years of Canadian Geographic and varying years of Plane & Pilot and Flying.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 22:36
    My MacBook Pro's graphics card has broken so I can't be quite sure, but I think I remember iTunes stating I have 50 days of music (vast majority classical and opera and ripped from my parents' CDs).

I probably have a 200-300 paper books and 500-1000 ebooks (the great thing is that most out of copyright ebooks are free, so it's a good way to obtain classic works). I have a bad habit of spending more time acquiring good deals than actually reading/listening, so I will now go back to ome of my current reads, Aesop.

I try not to keep magazines, but I do slice out MacUser articles I think might be useful later, and store them in a lever arch file. I have some popular science magazines (BBC Focus) which I've outgrown and need to give to a doctor's or dental surgery. I'm quite bad for keeping newspapers, but usually end up chucking them without catching up. And I've also been collecting Private Eye in the hope of catching up with it.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 00:231 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    This is getting nosy, sure, but I’ve got to ask—
    * How many songs do you own in any format, such as vinyl, tape, CD, mp3?
    * How many books do you own?

My own answers are:
    Approximately 600 albums (mostly in CD format). Multiply that by a dozen songs per disc, and we get [b]7,200
    songs.
    40 smallish bookshelves times 30 books per shelf plus an ...[text shortened]... throw most away a couple months after acquiring them, but keep especially good issues for years.[/b]
    My MP3 player has about 3200 music titles (a song, or a movement in a symphony, qualifies). Otherwise I have a handful of vinyl (like Bob Newhart oldies) and probably 200 cds many of which are on my mp3. There are probably 200 books in the house although most of them are my wife's being kept for what I consider sentimental reasons. I have a few like that, plus some reference books. If I can't remember the last time I opened a given book, it is probably a goner. We have a very good public library system here.
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 03:28
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    ...100 8 tracks...
    Raise your hand if you knew what GBS was talking about. 😳

I had an 8 track recorder in college (1970) and I bootlegged all the LP's I could find to have my road trip music.

Hey GBS, do you still play the 8 tracks? How do they sound?
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 05:01
    I own maybe 100 Music CD's and about 2000 books.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 11:031 edit
    About 1000 CD's, some of my own and family music on flash drives, 2000 vinyls, mostly folk music. A lot of classical, some Jazz.

Hundreds of books, not even sure where most of them are, they get scattered after reading, mostly sci fi for me but my wife has lots of spirit guide and historical novels. She studied shamanism. She is also a fan of e books. I am not, I don't want to lose my book when the battery diesπŸ™‚
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 12:19
    Originally posted by MontyMoose

I had an 8 track recorder in college (1970) and I bootlegged all the LP's I could find to have my road trip music.

Hey GBS, do you still play the 8 tracks? How do they sound?
    Yes Moose I do. My brother and his wife owned a company (they've sold it and retired) that did the "mailing out" for large corporations like banks, credit card companies, computer firms, you get the idea. One of those companies was Columbia House and they were, in the 70's, "big" into 8 tracks. As their distributor they paid next to nothing for them so I too had access to those discounts.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 12:15
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    * Bonus question: Do you throw away magazines when you have read them, or do you keep them for future re-reading?

I throw most away a couple months after acquiring them, but keep especially good issues for years.
    Haven't answered that one up to now:

I do throw magazines away and only keep few for future reference.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 09:51
    Originally posted by MontyMoose

*raising* though I never owned one...they where not that popular in Germany when I got around to buy Sound Equipment.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '13 12:38
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I own maybe 100 Music CD's and about 2000 books.
    This is about my ratio.

I already have nearly 100 ebooks, just as a note to sonhouse, you don't lose your ebooks, even if you remove them from your e-reader. I have 2 Kindles now and when I remove a book from my Kindle to make room for more, it's still in Amazon's cloud. All the ebooks I've ever bought are still in Amazon's cloud storage. I'm not sure how much room they allocate to each user, or even if there is a maximum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree