1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Jan '17 18:10
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I quit smoking on 26th December 2003. I could tell you how i did it, but that seems too serious for this forum. So instead i will type a few fart noises.

bbbbrbbbbbb

phhhhhhht

BBPPPPppp.
    I took 6 years to quit completely from 21 to 27.

I became grossly self consciousness about my bare hands at the time
    and developed an addiction to shredding beer mats into tiny pieces.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jan '17 18:50
    Originally posted by drewnogal

Dear madam,

We take this opportunity to remind you of the £365 still outstanding in damages.

Mr Bitter
    Beer Mat Association
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jan '17 21:11
    Originally posted by drewnogal

So you switched to whiskey and now are just tearing up napkins?
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    05 Jan '17 05:271 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you switched to whiskey and now are just tearing up napkins?
    I think I just grew out of it and started to feel more relaxed. The last time that did give in to smoking I discovered that I had lost the ability to inhale and the memories of the nausea and going green at the age of 14 put me right off the dirty habit for good.
  5. Joined
    03 Mar '15
    Moves
    05 Jan '17 15:32
    1. Slowly (over time) reduce tobacco use to just a few times per day - while also slowly reducing the amount consumed during those times. That way nicotine withdrawal is gradual.
    2. It is often helpful to have a designated spot where one smokes. Nothing else is permitted during that time. Some of the joy of smoking is leaves when one recognises he or she is self-medicating.
    3. Reduce (or eliminate) other addictive substances: tobacco is often used with that other substance and is part of the pattern. i.e. coffee, alcohol.
    4. Try to extend the time after eating a meal before having the next puff. Smoking is often used as a "dessert" after the meal.
    5. Before quitting, one should take stock of one's personal baggage. People often use addictive substances to bury feelings. It may be wise to join a self help group and/or a see a therapist to help you get rid of baggage before and during the quitting process.
    6. Increase intake of niacin when reducing intake of nicotine. The body uses both in much the same way and the physically addictive part of smoking is tied to this. This can also help with not gaining weight as it helps to quell some of the hunger one feels when reducing tobacco consumption. Don't overdo the niacin, however.
    7. Understand that the physical addiction is fully over in about 6 weeks. After that, the craving is purely psychological. Often one may crave having a cigarette decades after quitting, but the cravings soon pass and are of continually shorter duration.
    8. Understand that most people take 4 concerted attempts to overcome a tobacco addiction.
    7. As one begins ridding oneself of tobacco, one can slowly increase excercise (if there are no other underlying health issues that preclude one from increased exercise.
    8. some people find a squishy ball or some other object is helpful to give someone something to do with his or her hands. Some people use lollipops to help overcome oral fixations.
    9. Recognise that calorie intake may need to be reduced along with the afore-mentioned exercise. As one has to do less work to breathe and clear one's lungs, the same number of calories that previously sustained the person may not be needed by the body. So, smaller meals may be required. This is one of the reasons that people may gain weight.
  6. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '17 16:441 edit
    The nicotine grabs hold of receptors on brain cells, releasing a wave of dopamine and other chemicals that bring feelings of pleasure and comfort.

Oh... the banned natural chemical of government forced medications. Lights up another cigarette +.
  7. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    10 Jan '17 02:512 edits
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    No Joking.

BBBBbbpppppp.
    Wow. You the real MVP.

Edit: Oops! I thought it would say [Text Shortened].
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 19:45
    Originally posted by warthog7
    1. Slowly (over time) reduce tobacco use to just a few times per day - while also slowly reducing the amount consumed during those times. That way nicotine withdrawal is gradual.
    2. It is often helpful to have a designated spot where one smokes. Nothing else is permitted during that time. Some of the joy of smoking is leaves when one recognises he or she ...[text shortened]... body. So, smaller meals may be required. This is one of the reasons that people may gain weight.
    Every day that kind of thing reminds me of how lucky I was to have never started smoking tobacco.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 20:192 edits
    Alan Carr; Stop Smoking the Easy Way.

His book opened my eyes to the mechanics of nicotine addiction and subsequently how to overcome it. I can now even smoke occasionally such as holiday and drop it immediately on return.

I don't recommend this as a coping strategy by the way, as nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs in the world; it's just not that powerful. For example the withdrawal of not smoking during the night will never wake you up.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 20:29
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Alan Carr; Stop Smoking the Easy Way.

His book opened my eyes to the mechanics of nicotine addiction and subsequently how to overcome it. I can now even smoke occasionally such as holiday and drop it immediately on return.

I don't recommend this as a copy strategy by the way, as nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs in the world; it's just ...[text shortened]... hat powerful. For example the withdrawal of not smoking during the night will never wake you up.
    Dive,

I quit smoking back in 2004. Took me about 3 months before you could look at me without me asking what the hell are you looking at. Was way harder than when I quit drinking in 1992.

Best to anyone who quits either drinking or smoking!!!

-VR
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 20:47
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Dive,

I quit smoking back in 2004. Took me about 3 months before you could look at me without me asking what the hell are you looking at. Was way harder than when I quit drinking in 1992.

Best to anyone who quits either drinking or smoking!!!

-VR
    I agree with that!
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 23:21
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    buy a telescope. you can literally see the footprints on the surface.
    Nonsense.

All I see is green cheese and little aliens running around, no human footprints visible anywhere!
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 09:19
    I've been told the only way one will quit is with a strong will.

You just have to want to stop badly enough, and then cold turkey.

The worst is over in three days, then a week is the next milestone, then a month, then a year. Each one becomes easier. But the main thing is you must have the will to see it through.

If you don't really want to stop badly enough to "just do it", then your chances of success go way down. And all this namby-pamby stuff, like nicotine gum, and other methods where you substitute another habit only prolong the process, making it tougher.

Either you want to do it, and you will, or you don't really, and you won't.

All the rest is fluff.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 09:292 edits
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    buy a telescope. you can literally see the footprints on the surface.
    A telescope won't do this, but they've released photos from NASA's LRO, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, where you can see a footprint trail from the Lunar Module out to the scientific modules they placed on the surface during the mission of Apollo 14. The resolution could be better on the photos, but you can still make it out.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/17jul_lroc/

Here's a newer picture of the Apollo 11 landing site, and again, one can see footprint tracks among the objects left on the moon at this site.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/apollo-11.html

Here's a shot of one of the more interesting finds on the lunar surface: a pic of the impact site of Apollo 16's S-IVB stage. They have ascertained the locations of the impact sites of the S-IVB stages for Apollo missions 13-17 using the LRO. The S-IVB stage was the final stage of the Saturn V rocket, containing the Lunar Module and the combined Command Module/Service Module. This booster stage was meant to get the astronauts to the moon, while the Command Module/Service Module was their return vehicle.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/lro-finds-apollo-16-booster-rocket-impact-site
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 10:18
    Why would anyone quit nicotine? It's not carcinogenic though, of
    course, it is not harmless.

Smoking is awful, by the way. Try vaping.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree