1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 19:32
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    So we do have a mixture of question, some of which are a bit funny, most of which are morla-loaded.

We had one serious reply. So why not have a real long post?

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is ...[text shortened]... but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?
    "2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

The actual question is: How much side effect do we accept in medicine?
    - As long as people know about the effects: no problem.
    - Life is too precious and arthritis a comparatively "light" illness. People have to be saved from gambling their life.
    - We should do more research to find out what the 1%-issue is about, so we can either prevent people who would be affected or find a formulation which is also non-lethal to them."

I think you may be underestimating how much pain and debilitation arthritic can cause. I think of it this way -- how bad would my arthritis need to be before I would be willing to take a drug that would either totally cure it without side effects with .99 probability, or kill me painlessly with .01 probability. It's not a slam dunk.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '13 21:46
    Originally posted by JS357
    "2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

The actual question is: How much side effect do we accept in medicine?
    - As long as people know about the effects: no problem.
    - Life is too precious and arthritis a comparatively "light" ill ...[text shortened]... cts with .99 probability, or kill me painlessly with .01 probability. It's not a slam dunk.
    Comment (too late to edit my post above): If hypotheticals interest you, you might enjoy the "Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do" series starting with

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree