I’m free!!

I’m free!!

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Dec 17

I have suspended my Facebook account as an experiment. I’ve been a member of the network since 2007 but after 10 years I have become bored with its demands. Yes it feels like demands.

I find the platform invasive these days. Initially it was fun and photos and likes but now it’s become this machine which tracks your every move, pushes alerts and adverts at you, manipulates your feed so you see certain topics or posts, and infuriatingly keeps cheerfully saying “hi nice to have you back” or “here’s the weather where you are” or “have a great day” or some other crappy invasive witticism.

I feel somewhat liberated. I don’t do twitter anyway as it’s worse than Facebook and Instagram just seems like a pointless alternative to Facebook.

I’m free!!

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
07 Dec 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
I have suspended my Facebook account as an experiment. I’ve been a member of the network since 2007 but after 10 years I have become bored with its demands. Yes it feels like demands.

I find the platform invasive these days. Initially it was fun and photos and likes but now it’s become this machine which tracks your every move, pushes alerts and adv ...[text shortened]... than Facebook and Instagram just seems like a pointless alternative to Facebook.

I’m free!!
Dear sir,

We were sorry to see you had suspended your Facebook account. Please be assured that we will be transferring our daily witticisms to your RHP site.

“have a great day”

Facebook.

Moves
07 Dec 17
1 edit

I find the platform invasive these days.
These days!? It's always been a data thief and attention parasite. It's just taken you a few years to realise it.

Congratulations on ridding yourself of its shackles.

Über-Nerd

Moves
07 Dec 17

Be advised that your account may be defunct, but the data are still 'there' and retrievable for those want to get at it.

Moves
07 Dec 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
Be advised that your account may be defunct, but the data are still 'there' and retrievable for those want to get at it.
I have only suspended my account, there is an option to delete it but I don’t think I’ll do that.

Moves
07 Dec 17

I find the platform invasive these days. Initially it was fun and photos and likes but now it’s become this machine which tracks your every move, pushes alerts and adv ...[text shortened]... than Facebook and Instagram just seems like a pointless alternative to Facebook.

I’m free!!
I, for one, will miss your travelogs. 😉

Moves
07 Dec 17

Originally posted by @great-big-stees
I, for one, will miss your travelogs. 😉
As the machine once said, "I'll be back" 😉

Moves
07 Dec 17

I think I joined around the same time but have suspended the account or just not used it for periods during the past 10 years. The original idea of connecting people at his uni which expanded to the world was good but anything which grows that big is always going to want to cash in on the susses with facebook that means constant advertising. Do a google search for flights for example and next time you log in to facebook, guarantee you'll have an ad for kayak or expedia etc. Life in 2017, nothing online is private and people seem to be ok with this with the amount of time you see people sitting on their phones.

Then for the singles you have the dating apps/sites... they could be sitting on the the train beside the love of their life but never notice because they're glued to their little screen.

We live in a sad and depressing time.

Moves
07 Dec 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @trev33
We live in a sad and depressing time.
How are you doing Trev, not seen you in here lately and we’re not connected on Facebook anymore since you DUMPED me for voting “leave” in last years referendum. 😕😠😛

Moves
07 Dec 17

I’m free!!
I have also deactivated my FB account this summer.
I continued to receive false notifications of messages and events though.
At one moment after several months I got false alarm that someone logged in and re-activated my account.
I changed password and checked account: nothing was touched.
Now I think FB is doing this n order to make me make comeback.

Ok.
I was curious, though, if my "friends" are missing me so I created other profile under phony name. No one was grieving for me. Dang!

I have recently re-activated my "main" profile in order to ask for help some people... Very sad...

I noticed FB had access to my I-phone phonebook and my Google account(s).

I noticed that I get targeted commercials immidiatelly after some mails...

At any respect, FB is time consuming. And, in my present situations, it's more than ever clear to me that I was pretending all the time there, and now when I am facing such difficulties it turned impossible to pretend any longer.

Soon I will deactivate again all profiles, both "main" and incognito one.

It is as if I died, and no one cared.
Now I know: I will be burried on dogs' graveyard.

Gothenburg

Moves
07 Dec 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @vandervelde
I have also deactivated my FB account this summer.
I continued to receive false notifications of messages and events though.
At one moment after several months I got false alarm that someone logged in and re-activated my account.
I changed password and checked account: nothing was touched.
Now I think FB is doing this n order to make me make comebac ...[text shortened]... ne.

It is as if I died, and no one cared.
Now I know: I will be burried on dogs' graveyard.
Unless you are close friends, facebook friendship means nothing. You never get to know a person that way. Facebook is good when you need to keep in touch with people you know in real life, when you know their true identity. You must know that to have a meaningful online relationship.

Moves
07 Dec 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Dear sir,

We were sorry to see you had suspended your Facebook account. Please be assured that we will be transferring our daily witticisms to your RHP site.

“have a great day”

Facebook.
Dear Sir,

We miss you here on FB.
You submitted the reason for deactivating "to spend too much time on Facebook".
Our track service found however that you're spending more time on RP forums than you ever had on FB.

We decided to transfer all your RHP-posts on your FB-Timeline.

greetings
FB board

Moves
07 Dec 17

How are you doing Trev, not seen you in here lately and we’re not connected on Facebook anymore since you DUMPED me for voting “leave” in last years referendum. 😕😠😛
I can't believe that vote was only 18 months ago, feels a lot longer... whole thing is a bigger mess now than it ever was.

Moves
07 Dec 17

Originally posted by @trev33
I can't believe that vote was only 18 months ago, feels a lot longer... whole thing is a bigger mess now than it ever was.
Don’t worry old chum it will be fine.

Moves
08 Dec 17

Don’t worry old chum it will be fine.
The Irish border will derail the entire thing, there's a reason why there hasn't been a government in N.I. in almost a year... idiot politicians couldn't agree on what to have for christmas dinner never mind anything as serious as possible trade agreements, border arrangements and general logistics.