1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '14 20:14
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    He's doing good if he still has all 10 fingers. 🙂
    Don't butchers wear mesh gloves on the hand not using the sharp instruments?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Sep '14 21:10
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Yeah, the grass is always greener “over there”.

Some days I wish I had no hair but I know the average bald guy wishes he had my hair. Just the hair though, not what’s underneath it.

But I’m not much of a working man. The less time I have to spend working, the better. If I’d win the lottery I’d quit the same day.

What I can’t understand is peo ...[text shortened]... live in a free country and have enough money yet still are bored. That does not compute with me.
    "What I can’t understand is people who are in good health, live in a free country and have enough money yet still are bored. That does not compute with me."

Enjoying "good health" and living "in a free country" with "enough money" may produce comfort and stimulation for the moment but it doesn't last. Wealthy celebrities commit suicide. Without capacity for life and love there is no happiness.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Sep '14 21:44
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Don't butchers wear mesh gloves on the hand not using the sharp instruments?
    Many do, some don't. I wear a steel mesh glove on my free hand and a Kevlar glove on my right, with several latex gloves over the Kevlar. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to clean. The steel cleans up easy though. The glove on the right hand is mostly to prevent scrapes and cuts from bones. Many deboners use a boning hook extensively. I use it only for a few heavy pulling applications.
    I enjoy my job, probably a bit too much at times. 😕
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 01:49
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Many do, some don't. I wear a steel mesh glove on my free hand and a Kevlar glove on my right, with several latex gloves over the Kevlar. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to clean. The steel cleans up easy though. The glove on the right hand is mostly to prevent scrapes and cuts from bones. Many deboners use a boning hook extensively. I use it only for a few heavy pulling applications.
    I enjoy my job, probably a bit too much at times. 😕
    Enjoying a job is a real bonus often worth more than money.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 10:43
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Financially I can't go for a three day work week but this year I went from 5 to 4.5 and hopefully starting 2016 I can go to a 4 day workweek. That would be bliss.

It's such a waste of life to spend this much time working.

Unless you're one of the lucky ones whose job is also their hobby. Not me.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 13:06
    Financially I can't go for a three day work week but this year I went from 5 to 4.5 and hopefully starting 2016 I can go to a 4 day workweek. That would be bliss.

It's such a waste of life to spend this much time working.

Unless you're one of the lucky ones whose job is also their hobby. Not me.
    In my late 40's we (after some lengthy discussions) decided that it was time for me to change "occupations". I was making a good living but hated my job. Our standard of living dropped (a bit) but the loss of stress of doing something I didn't enjoy was well worth the decline. I never regretted that "move" and because I was then doing something I did enjoy I was able, over a period of time (about 5 years), to go from working 5 days a week to 4 and eventually to none.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 13:15
    In my late 40's we (after some lengthy discussions) decided that it was time for me to change "occupations". I was making a good living but hated my job. Our standard of living dropped (a bit) but the loss of stress of doing something I didn't enjoy was well worth the decline. I never regretted that "move" and because I was then doing something I did ...[text shortened]... a period of time (about 5 years), to go from working 5 days a week to 4 and eventually to none.
    How did you make that change? Most people – including me - have had an education aimed at a certain profession. Did you have to go back to school? Did you already know what it was that you really enjoyed before finally making that move?
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Oct '14 13:23
    How did you make that change? Most people – including me - have had an education aimed at a certain profession. Did you have to go back to school? Did you already know what it was that you really enjoyed before finally making that move?
    I decided that my job wasn't worth the possibility of it affecting my health so although I was good at what I was doing I had to change. No further education was required I just got involved in a completely different area. I was in accounting and moved into sales. I am a very outgoing personality and accounting isn't exactly "fun and games". 😉
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 00:09
    I love reading, playing golf, birdwatching, hiking, skiing (now mostly only cross country as my knees are not really up to downhill although I still get out a couple of times a year and am reminded why I don't do it more often) I volunteer with helping "old folks" and still I miss "working". Oh BTW I am mostly bald and don't pine for the lost locks. 😉
    "I volunteer with helping "old folks" - GBS

Had no idea your generosity expressed itself tangibly in your community. Bless you!
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '14 13:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I volunteer with helping "old folks" - GBS

Had no idea your generosity expressed itself tangibly in your community. Bless you!
    Thanks GB but what goes around comes around, I think/hope. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree