1. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 13:21
    @badradger said
    bought a meter check every day 2 hrs after eating average 6.4 mmols not on inulin take Metformin 4 tabs per day my reading in hospital when i had the heart attack was 19mmols, I didnt have any idea that i had diabetes.
    Metformin is a good tool. Just be careful not to take OTC "Tagamet" or cimetidine with it.

Additionally, if a doctor or nurse even mentions the word digoxin ...tell them to go get hung.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 13:36
    @wolfe63 said
    Metformin is a good tool. Just be careful not to take OTC "Tagamet" or cimetidine with it.

Additionally, if a doctor or nurse even mentions the word digoxin ...tell them to go get hung.
    i take omparazole/cetrizine/ramipril/tenif/brilique/asprin/lipitor & ocasionaly valium
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 14:45
    @badradger said
    reason being i fel out of bed last week broke 2 fingers(stop laughing...its not funny) badly brused my left arm and leg but worst of all landed on my laptop smashing the screen, i have a back up hp lap top so i retrieved it from the wardrobe and guess what a cracked screen so both in for repair so i went for back up no 3 a 10 year old acer aspire with an old pentium jpross ...[text shortened]... , it takes about 1/2 hr to boot up and shutsf down after an hour or so overheatinghink OH HAPPY DAYS
    Remind me to, NEVER, let you take me out or a drive. You sir are a disaster. Good luck with the HA and diabetes issues.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 17:29
    @wolfe63 said
    "The little meals sound good in theory but actually doesn't work well for everyone!!!"
    - Very old and crusty

OK, OK man. No need for shouting. Take your metoprolol and have a diet coke. Things will get better. I promise.
    Wolfie....THIS IS SHOUTING!!! JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

HAVE RESPECT FOR YOUR ELDERS OR YOU MAY GET HIT OVER THE HEAD WITH A CANE OR A BRICK DEPENDING ON THE OLD MAN!!! 😛

-VR
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 18:39
    @badradger said
    3 a 10 year old acer aspire with an old pentium jprossesor that wont run with a battery it runs winndows 7 that is not supported by RHP and a lot of other sites,
    My desktop is an 8 year-old hp running WIN7 and I have no probs anywhere.
    More likely you are running Explorer which most sites don't like now.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 18:51
    @wolfgang59 said
    My desktop is an 8 year-old hp running WIN7 and I have no probs anywhere.
    More likely you are running Explorer which most sites don't like now.
    Yep, I still run Win7 also. No probs.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 19:02
    @badradger said
    bought a meter check every day 2 hrs after eating average 6.4 mmols not on inulin take Metformin 4 tabs per day my reading in hospital when i had the heart attack was 19mmols, I didnt have any idea that i had diabetes.
    Not sure what the translation is from mmols, we use mg/dL here.

Metformin is for Type 2, that's probably why you didn't know. People can have Type 2 for years without a clue, until they have something catastrophic happen. You still make some insulin, just either not enough or it doesn't work as well as it should. I have Type 1, I've got no insulin, and that's why you know pretty early on you have something wrong. Now I'm on a pump and life is peachy, less highs and less lows.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 19:14
    @suzianne said
    Yep, I still run Win7 also. No probs.
    WOW....That is an old timer!!!

-VR
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 19:511 edit
    @badradger said
    not only true but only part of the story as I fell I took out the bedside table smashing the table lamp , knocking all my medication all over, cut my nose and lip and because i take blood thining tablets It took ages to stem the bleeding.
    Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you could try sitting up in bed for a few minutes before getting out of bed. That would help your blood pressure adjust a little first. Postural hypotension can happen when suddenly moving from a laying or sitting position to standing; the heart rate speeds up and your blood pressure drops. It’s a common complaint with people with anorexia nervosa with a low BMI but can also happen after soaking in a hot bath.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 21:56
    @drewnogal said
    Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you could try sitting up in bed for a few minutes before getting out of bed. That would help your blood pressure adjust a little first. Postural hypotension can happen when suddenly moving from a laying or sitting position to standing; the heart rate speeds up and your blood pressure drops. It’s a common complaint with people with anorexia nervosa with a low BMI but can also happen after soaking in a hot bath.
    He's a badger. Their blood pressure is always high.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Dec '18 22:38
    @badradger said
    reason being i fel out of bed last week broke 2 fingers(stop laughing...its not funny) badly brused my left arm and leg but worst of all landed on my laptop smashing the screen, i have a back up hp lap top so i retrieved it from the wardrobe and guess what a cracked screen so both in for repair so i went for back up no 3 a 10 year old acer aspire with an old pentium jpross ...[text shortened]... , it takes about 1/2 hr to boot up and shutsf down after an hour or so overheatinghink OH HAPPY DAYS
    @badradger

May I suggest that, in future, you sleep nearer the floor?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 10:36
    @suzianne said
    Not sure what the translation is from mmols, we use mg/dL here.

Metformin is for Type 2, that's probably why you didn't know. People can have Type 2 for years without a clue, until they have something catastrophic happen. You still make some insulin, just either not enough or it doesn't work as well as it should. I have Type 1, I've got no insulin, and that's why you k ...[text shortened]... early on you have something wrong. Now I'm on a pump and life is peachy, less highs and less lows.
    If I stay below 7 mmols its considered good for type 2 obvioulsy going below 4mmols is a hypo I range between 5-9 but thanks for the info. as for my old acer its windows 7 home premium, wont run with its battery in I bought it 2nd hand 7years ago so not sure how old it is. it has a mind of ite own.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 10:41
    @handyandy said
    He's a badger. Their blood pressure is always high.
    We know how it is with honeybadgers:

YouTube
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 11:42
    @ponderable said
    We know how it is with honeybadgers:

[youtube]4r7wHMg5Yjg[/youtube]
    yeah ya dont mess with a BADGER
  15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    21 Dec '18 12:28
    @drewnogal said
    Good advice drewnogal.
    Vasodilation because of a hot bath can indeed cause a crash in BP: Especially noted in those with an already deficient vascular fluid volume.

In the States, normal fasting blood glucose levels fall between 70 to 100 mg/dl. However, some diabetics can experience the symptoms of hypoglycemia at levels higher than normal. Each case is evaluated independently. Also of concern are patients whom are hypersensitive to insulin. We call them "brittle" and adjust their sliding scale appropriately.

I once gave 2 Units to a patient with a BGL of 125mg/dl. Within 2 hours, her level dropped below 60. Luckily, our CNA noted the changed mental status and alerted us straight away.

It was a great lesson and reinforced the old saying "start low - go slow".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree