1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 16:412 edits
    He was my boss, but that was on the surface. He told me as far as he was concerned I was my own boss. He was a friend. More like a surrogate father to me. He was 83 years old, had both hips replaced, Twice. Had his small intestine shortened, his colon shortened. He went to go take a leak in the middle of the night and fell and broke his neck. He was in the hospital for about a week when they decided to end life support. It seems we have little say in how we come into life or how we leave it. This all sounds pretty sad I am sure. But if this were the whole story, I wouldn't have shared it. People die all the time, it's sad, but that's life.
    The next day, in a small abattoir a slaughter cow was stunned. The shackler noticed she was carrying. They did a quick C section and there was a fully developed male calf, healthy and strong. Instead of moving the calf on the kill line, as veal is super pricey and this would have made the calf more profitable. When this happens, they move the calf to the feedlots and raise it to sell later.
    Still nothing too spectacular, people die, calves are born.
    The calf's name is the same as my late friend/boss. The packer had never heard of my boss, just liked the name.
    Hand of God, circle of life.
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:02
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Yes, it is life, but I am sorry for your loss still the same.

A friend of mine from high school is slipping away. She has been battling cancer for the past five years or so, and the last few weeks has been declining rapidly. She is now not able to eat or speak, and her weight is now below 90 lbs. Her husband cannot care for her by himself any longer and she is admitted to hospice services. I hope that she does not linger.

I moved the summer between Jr. High School and High School, from a suburb of Los Angeles to a rural town in Southeastern Idaho where the California, the city, and anything connected is held in suspicion...not the greatest transition for me at a critical time in my life. She was one of my first friends and shielded me from the rejection of my peers...constantly offering the calm gift of her friendship. In spite of difficulties, she has lived her life with grace and dignity...I only hope that I can honor her life by doing the same.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:37
    He was a friend
    So sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:39
    Sorry for your loss.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 17:39
    Condolences.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:42
    He was my boss, but that was on the surface. He told me as far as he was concerned I was my own boss. He was a friend. More like a surrogate father to me. He was 83 years old, had both hips replaced, Twice. Had his small intestine shortened, his colon shortened. He went to go take a leak in the middle of the night and fell and broke his neck. He was in t ...[text shortened]... /boss. The packer had never heard of my boss, just liked the name.
    Memorable all time General Forum thread the moment it was born. I for one appreciate your perspective on life and death.

Thank you.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:52
    Hi CP, yes it is a strange tale. Of course people die. But of course this causes pain for their friends. Especially when it was a fatherly friend.

Hi hakima, all the best to your friend, may she have a good passage. And all the best to you.
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '15 18:53
    It is sad to lose an old friend, a tragedy for his family.
  9. Standard memberblunderdog
    R.I.P. mikelom
    Dogville, USA
    Moves
    07 Feb '15 03:28
    Sorry for the cow and calf.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree