Chinese isn't a language I've heard of. 😉
    I can believe that.
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 14:12
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I can believe that.
    Which dialect does your wife speak? I assume that's how you learned...
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 14:27
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Which dialect does your wife speak? I assume that's how you learned...
    I learned before i met the wife, before my first visit to China. My first visit to anywhere outside the British isles was to learn Tai Chi in China, so i bought a book and hooked up with some friends from Fu Zhou for 8 months.

It's quite weird to be asked to specify the dialect, as Mandarin is the official language of the PRC.
  4. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 14:313 edits
    I learned before i met the wife, before my first visit to China. My first visit to anywhere outside the British isles was to learn Tai Chi in China, so i bought a book and hooked up with some friends from Fu Zhou for 8 months.

It's quite weird to be asked to specify the dialect, as Mandarin is the official language of the PRC.
    Well, Mandarin was the answer I was looking for. Dialect probably wasn't the right word to use. Mandarin (when spoken softly by a lady) is lovely. Cantonese, to me, always sounds harsh.

I learned French later in life myself because my wife and her parents and brother all speak French. Although I took it in high school I never really learned how to communicate until I was immersed in it. When we took our first trip to her Grandparents in France is when I was really thrown into the deep end. My reading, comprehension and communication level is probably around that of a 7 year old.
  5. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 14:40
    Well, Mandarin was the answer I was looking for. Dialect probably wasn't the right word to use. Mandarin (when spoken softly by a lady) is lovely. Cantonese, to me, always sounds harsh.

I learned French later in life myself because my wife and her parents and brother all speak French. Although I took it in high school I never really learned how to co ...[text shortened]... nd. My reading, comprehension and communication level is probably around that of a 7 year old.
    My daughter already knows words i don't know, it's quite embarrassing. I think the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin is the intonation. Mandarin has 4, Cantonese has 7, that's what makes it harsher sounding.

I've always wanted to go to France. I'll be going to Germany Soon, we're saving France for the obligatory Disneyland Paris trip when the wee one is older.

I find any language when spoken softly by a lady is lovely...bare boobies always helps.
  6. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    31 Jul '13 14:441 edit
    My daughter already knows words i don't know, it's quite embarrassing. I think the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin is the intonation. Mandarin has 4, Cantonese has 7, that's what makes it harsher sounding.

I've always wanted to go to France. I'll be going to Germany Soon, we're saving France for the obligatory Disneyland Paris trip whe ...[text shortened]...

I find any language when spoken softly by a lady is lovely...bare boobies always helps.
    I loved Berlin when we went there in 2010. While we were there, we met up with some friends of mine living and working there. One of them said he has a lot of difficulty practicing the language because no one will speak it to him! Everytime he tried his German out in stores or restaurants, they would most times reply to him in English. 🙂
  7. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 08:552 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 09:00
    I loved Berlin when we went there in 2010. While we were there, we met up with some friends of mine living and working there. One of them said he has a lot of difficulty practicing the language because no one will speak it to him! Everytime he tried his German out in stores or restaurants, they would most times reply to him in English. 🙂
    The Problem is that most People (even in Germany) do speak English, and sometimes it is more diffícult to understand what People might want to express if they try their German.

However at our instute I do speak german with everyone who is presumed to learn the language to give them opportunity to practise.

Another Story: I had a Meeting in France and I asked my Partner there to rather speak French than English, since I understood better what he said, though my English is far better than my French.
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 11:551 edit
    Swedes in general speak English well, so if you really want to practice Swedish, you had better say no when asked if you speak English. I love it when I'm approached by people who hardly speak Swedish at all but still try. If they would be interested in learning some more about Swedish grammar, I would be happy to assist.

A short lesson - just for fun and if you are not too sensitive with bad words
    YouTube
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    06 Aug '13 13:47
    Originally posted by lolof
    Swedes in general speak English well, so if you really want to practice Swedish, you had better say no when asked if you speak English. I love it when I'm approached by people who hardly speak Swedish at all but still try. If they would be interested in learning some more about Swedish grammar, I would be happy to assist.

A short lesson - just for fun and if you are not too sensitive with bad words
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHniCEHY7I
    No matter the country every citizen appreciates that "tourists", at least, make an attempt at the visited countries language. I can't think of the number of times I heard "English" speaking tourists saying to the local citizen, "Don't you speak English?"...Idiots.🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree