1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 03:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am sure some very good films touching upon what it is to be a "lumpen male" have been made. Whether by men or women, I cannot say.

Take the humour of comedienne Amy Schumer, I don't know if you've seen her sketch show. She writes and performs her own material. Regardless of whether one finds her funny or not, I am not sure that you would get the same perspe ...[text shortened]... s aired and made fun of ~ in that particular way ~ if her show were written and directed by men.
    Never heard of her. Just googled a clip—didn't like it. Not able to say whether men writing and directing her would make any difference, but to be honest I couldn't care less—she isn't someone I would ever choose to watch on TV or go to see on stage.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 03:58
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Never heard of her. Just googled a clip—didn't like it. Not able to say whether men writing and directing her would make any difference, but to be honest I couldn't care less—she isn't someone I would ever choose to watch on TV or go to see on stage.
    I wasn't putting her forward as someone you might like. There's a lot of "sexual humour" on TV, mostly conceived and produced by men. Her show demonstrates that a woman conceiving and producing "sexual humour" on TV comes up with perspectives that are noticeably different from more standard fare. Her gags might not be any good. And perhaps she is getting away with bad gags because she's a woman and the gags are somewhat different. But it is this kind of perspective thing that makes the films directed by women potentially interesting even simply because the director is a woman. To me anyway.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 04:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    But it is this kind of perspective thing that makes the films directed by women potentially interesting even simply because the director is a woman. To me anyway.
    Well, we all have our own pet theories about things. I haven't particularly noticed that women make better/more interesting directors in the way you point out, but perhaps I don't pay attention to the same things, and I haven't exactly given the matter a lot of thought. Also I tend to find art produced by men equally as fascinating, if not more, as that produced by women. Certainly men and women differ in psychological terms as well as biologically, so there's probably something in what you say.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 04:39
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    ... I tend to find art produced by men equally as fascinating, if not more, as that produced by women.
    Well there's certainly a lot more of it in terms of film and TV.

I was Googling the titles of a few films earlier and I came across this bit of editorial comment: "Opportunities for women directors in any genre are still relatively rare. San Diego State University's Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film routinely reports on trends in the industry, and their findings confirm a major disparity: just 7% of last year's 250 top-grossing films were directed by women. That percentage is actually a decline of two points compared to 2008, and the number has held steady within that 7% - 9% range for the past 25 years. The gender disparity extends, though not quite as severely, to all behind-the-camera crew positions and even to film critics."
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 05:31
    If I had a penny for each one of last year's 250 top-grossing films that was directed by a woman, I'd have 17 pence and a ha'penny. 😛
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 12:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 12:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I'm not mistaken, if I had a penny for every George Lucas film I have watched, I'd have no pennies ~ and would have to make do with income from other sources.
    you missed nothing most of them were total crap and the rest piss poor
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 09:46
    Originally posted by redbadger
    you missed nothing most of them were total crap and the rest piss poor
    Yet another insightful and valuable posting.

Thank goodness you were brought back from obscurity... for the mere price of a subscription!

/sarcasm off
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 09:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I had a penny for each one of last year's 250 top-grossing films that was directed by a woman, I'd have 17 pence and a ha'penny. 😛
    So what does the ha'penny represent? A film co-directed by a woman and a man? Or something else?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 09:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So what does the ha'penny represent? A film co-directed by a woman and a man? Or something else?
    Yep. You got me there. 😵
  11. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 10:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have never watched a George Lucas film end to end. Not my cup of tea. Same goes for the Harry Potter films.
    films made for children...... need the brain of a chewed slipper to follow the plot .....say no more.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 19:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yep. You got me there. 😵
    You're the one who said it. Are you saying you don't know what you're talking about?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 22:40
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You're the one who said it. Are you saying you don't know what you're talking about?
    Seven percent of 250 = 17.5. "If I had a penny...". You end up with a spare ha'penny.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree