1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 11:06
    ... I'd pass a law requiring architects to live in the buildings they designed for one year -- then maybe they'd learn to avoid stupid mistakes (like doors that open the wrong way and block other doors).
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 11:22
    Originally posted by moonbus
    ... I'd pass a law requiring architects to live in the buildings they designed for one year -- then maybe they'd learn to avoid stupid mistakes (like doors that open the wrong way and block other doors).
    So you would limit architects to one building per year. who would pay for that?
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Mar '15 06:36
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    So you would limit architects to one building per year. who would pay for that?
    Pay for what? They should jolly well pay rent, just like everybody else.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '15 08:52
    Ever heard of "The Emperor of Ice Cream"? Thread 155045 (Page 14)
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Mar '15 11:07
    If I were an emperor, I'd try to maintain the better parts of Aristotle's 'Polity'; even in this day and age.

-m.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Mar '15 11:15
    Pay for what? They should jolly well pay rent, just like everybody else.
    Since they could only built one house per yera, they need to earn all their yearly income from that one project...
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    12 Mar '15 12:45
    Since they could only built one house per yera, they need to earn all their yearly income from that one project...
    Not to mention the cost of training the thousands/millions of extra architects that would be required to meet building demand.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Mar '15 06:074 edits
    So they'd have a great incentive to design it well and built it soundly.

Have you never been annoyed at a badly designed building? One in which the architect probably never set foot after it was built? Making people live with the consequences of their own mistakes is a great teacher.

I recently moved out of one particularly glaring example of 1970s stupidity: a multi-story apartment house. The main entrance had an elevator, but one had to walk up a flight of stairs and negotiate a narrow dog-leg to get into the lobby. It forced a number of long-term residents to move away, when they became elderly, because they could no longer get their grocery trolleys into the lobby. Any arthritic/rheumatic person, not to mention wheel-chair-bound, would have cursed that architect, since there was no earthly reason to put the lobby a half-floor above ground level. Simply idiotic design.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree