If you were going to sell stuff.

If you were going to sell stuff.

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Jun 14

I've been looking at the cost of buying a pallet or two of different stuff to import, then try to flog online or to market sellers. If you were going to have a flutter on stuff to import for the purpose of trying to sell, what would you pick? I have my eye on one thing in particular, and sent a request for current price per piece...but i thought throw it open to the Madding crowd for the lulz.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
15 Jun 14

find yer buyers before you buy...
advertise that which you think is salable...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Jun 14
1 edit

Friend of mine had a nice little business; filling his van with worthless
PCs (really old but working) taking them across to Lithuania (I think)
and flogging them. In Lithuania he would collect bespoke pine furniture
for clients back home.

Edit: This was from UK not NZ!!!!

Basically what I'm saying is the two markets wanted different things.

Find your market.

TM

rebel city

Moves
15 Jun 14

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
I've been looking at the cost of buying a pallet or two of different stuff to import, then try to flog online or to market sellers. If you were going to have a flutter on stuff to import for the purpose of trying to sell, what would you pick? I have my eye on one thing in particular, and sent a request for current price per piece...but i thought throw it open to the Madding crowd for the lulz.
Find the product. Look for the one you would like people to discover, something you identifl yourself with, and most of all, something you believe.

Myself have eternal plans to bring music, arts, craft, "produits du terroir", etc.. have a link with my beloved country.

I never give up my ambition and if you have ideas, we can discuss. 😉

In your face

Moves
15 Jun 14

Originally posted by rookie54
find yer buyers before you buy...
advertise that which you think is salable...
Pertinent point. If you want to find a market, set up some listings on Ebay before you buy your gear. You will get a very good idea if it is going to sell for that price, just by how many people are watching the items. If people start buying at that price then even betterer 😛

Also look for how many people are actually selling that sort of thing, how much for and how much things have actually sold for if you look at 'sold items' in the search criteria. Lots of people selling then bad idea, unless you can undecut them.

Finally, perhaps most important is find a reliable seller that won't rinse you. There are lots of rip off mechants out there. If you are dealing with someone from outside the UK, you have no legal comeback. Your only guarantee lies witin the strength of the the method of payment you paid with. Paypal is not worth a w*** talking from experience. TT and money wiring, then kiss your money goodbye.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
16 Jun 14

Right now in Colorado the recreational marijuana market is the hot thing.

TM

rebel city

Moves
16 Jun 14

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
Don't forget the medicinal properties. I am sure Colorado benefit from them.

I wish the whole world would. 😳

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
16 Jun 14

Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
Don't forget the medicinal properties. I am sure Colorado benefit from them.

I wish the whole world would. 😳
We had Medicinal Marijuana for some time now. Recreational Marijuana was made legal Jan. 1, 2014. It's been a boom to local businesses. Even fast food joints are busier now. 😕

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
16 Jun 14

Howard Marks, i am not. I'm looking into brand name razor blades, as it happens.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Jun 14

Howard Marks, i am not. I'm looking into brand name razor blades, as it happens.
For what it's worth: "razor blades" tip: Thread 158988 (Page 1)

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
16 Jun 14

sometimes adding an odd pitch or gimmick is the way to sell quick...

bundle yer blades with baby oil,
you could call them, "SlickSharp"...
and if things don't go the way you planned,
give em away and blame me for the snark...

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
16 Jun 14

Here's a pretty successful similar business

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=about&utm_content=&cvosrc=social.facebook.about

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
16 Jun 14

Here's a pretty successful similar business

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=about&utm_content=&cvosrc=social.facebook.about
Nice. Not savy enough on the internet to go down that route, just looking at things i can do to make a few on the side, you know? Got a bit of green i can spare, so i thought i'd try and put it to work somehow...Just one idea i'm looking into.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Jun 14
1 edit

In America, we have something called "Park N Swap". Some places just call them "Swap Meets". (Despite the name, what most are "swapping" is money for wares. 🙂 ) Basically, people flock to these areas where there's lots of space that isn't being used (like race-tracks in the off-season, set up in the parking lots), and the organizers rent out table space to anyone who wants to sell something. People bring all their own gear and set up like little kiosks hawking their stuff. Anything from "garage sale" type items, to people selling the fruit off their backyard trees, to people who find a good deal on something wholesale who want to turn it around fast and make a quick profit. Lots of people go to these things on a weekend (especially in a bad economy) to buy stuff cheap, or just to see if there's any good deals.

Maybe you could try something like this, or even start your own if there's no such thing there yet.

Read a book!

Moves
16 Jun 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
In America, we have something called "Park N Swap". Some places just call them "Swap Meets". (Despite the name, what most are "swapping" is money for wares. 🙂 ) Basically, people flock to these areas where there's lots of space that isn't being used (like race-tracks in the off-season, set up in the parking lots), and the organizers rent out table space ...[text shortened]... be you could try something like this, or even start your own if there's no such thing there yet.
Around here (New England) they're known as flea markets.