1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 07:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You all might be in love with IKEA but here is a report of how they treat their truck drivers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ikea-lorry-drivers-living-in-trucks-paid-less-than-3-an-hour-a7631086.html

It seems they hire drivers from say Lithuania, pay them the going rate there then ship them to Western Europe, Italy, France, Spain, Ge ...[text shortened]... ive in places like Germany where the cost of living is way higher than the Eastern Euro nations.
    All companies not following good ethics are equally bad. There is no defense or excuse for any of them, and they are many. And if they don't make enough money in one country, they move to another where manufacture and service is cheaper. It's disgusting.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 15:28
    So no more shopping at ikea then?

My sister loves the place, anymore dirt we can find on them? She still refuses to buy nestle products over some story about baby milk formula in Africa.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 15:32
    Originally posted by Trev33

My sister loves the place, anymore dirt we can find on them? She still refuses to buy nestle products over some story about baby milk formula in Africa.
    The coffee they serve is inexcusably weak.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 15:44
    Originally posted by Trev33

I still like Ikea - its products, philosphy, price level, practical use, everything.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 15:54
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    What do you expect for the price?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    17 Mar '17 16:01
    Drop some Swedish meatballs in them--- just make sure to flatten them out first.
  7. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 01:33
    Originally posted by Torunn
    This topic usually divides people in two groups - those who like it and those who hate it, you seldom find people who are indifferent. There may be those too of course, but I don't know of any. I belong to the group of people who like it - I think it's smart shopping. I happen to dislike shopping and when I shop, I do it because I have to. And today I had to ...[text shortened]... ten.
    There may not be any more posts in this thread - I just felt like saying it: I like IKEA!
    I am one of the few who knows very little about IKEA and am indifferent.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    18 Mar '17 12:521 edit
    Originally posted by ptobler
    I am one of the few who knows very little about IKEA and am indifferent.
    I guess most people outside of Sweden know very little about IKEA. 🙂 You may have alternatives just as good.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 18:40
    I guess most people outside of Sweden know very little about IKEA. 🙂 You may have alternatives just as good.
    I assume that IKEA succeeded in becoming the household name for affordable furniture in most of Europe...
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 18:49
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I assume that IKEA succeeded in becoming the household name for affordable furniture in most of Europe...
    I think so, inexpensive, and immediately available most of the time. It may not be something for you and me but for young families with not so much money, I think they can create a practical and stylish home. After a few years they may want to change to new furniture and exuipment with better quality and they may prefer to buy that in other places.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 19:19
    I think so, inexpensive, and immediately available most of the time. It may not be something for you and me but for young families with not so much money, I think they can create a practical and stylish home. After a few years they may want to change to new furniture and exuipment with better quality and they may prefer to buy that in other places.
    When I first became independent I used a telephone company's cable spool for a table...it sat 10 people comfortably...though it was rather heavy. 🙂
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 19:28
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    When I first became independent I used a telephone company's cable spool for a table...it sat 10 people comfortably...though it was rather heavy. 🙂
    Finns det hjärterum, finns det stjärterum - If there’s room in the heart there’s room for the arse. 🙂
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 19:30
    What did you use as chairs?

Garden gnomes?
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 19:46
    What did you use as chairs?

Garden gnomes?
    A likely choice though I did not. I used smaller spools.
  15. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Mar '17 20:021 edit
    A likely choice though I did not. I used smaller spools.
    It didn't take much to have a good time - good friends, wine/beer. Didn't need much sleep either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree