1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    08 Aug '13 12:36
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Did you know that women are actually better in seeing colours. They need to be for me pink is pink is pink, but for my wife there are distinct differnces...
    I would have thought that since you are a scientist that you would have seen those suptle differences. Surely in science, as was shown by Darwin during his "trip" to the Galopagos Islands that organisms in one place are not always, maybe even never, the same as in another place.
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 15:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 16:55
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    A friend of mines wife is great at multitasking. She starts cleaning in one room then the phone rings. When the conversation is over she starts in another room (not finishing in the first one) then it's the phone again. When that's done with she remembers there's laundry to be done and so it goes. When my friend gets home from work there are lots of "jobs" started but none finished. I suspect, as I've told him that she must be an anomaly.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 17:43
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    A friend of mines wife is great at multitasking. She starts cleaning in one room then the phone rings. When the conversation is over she starts in another room (not finishing in the first one) then it's the phone again. When that's done with she remembers there's laundry to be done and so it goes. When my friend gets home from work there are lots of "jobs" started but none finished. I suspect, as I've told him that she must be an anomaly.
    That sounds like one of the manifestations of ADHD.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Aug '13 18:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    That sounds like one of the manifestations of ADHD.
    Could very well be just that.
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10 Aug '13 17:36
    Sounds perfectly normal to me - she just ran out of time, that's all 🙂
  7. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 07:55
    Multitasking is a myth.

In fact you can't think two things at the same time. But you can still handle some tasks at the same time the same way a computer does, but cycling through them in small time increments.
    This works quite well with "trivial" tasks. Those are different for each person. While one sees steering a car through traffic as trivial another is fully absorbed by the same task.

To pitch men and women against each other with their "superiorities" won't lead to any improvement of live, relationship or society.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 10:421 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It could have been worse, he could have broken BOTH laptops.....
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 11:251 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 16:071 edit
    I have a cousin who is very good at practical things. He helps me fixing things in my apartment - planning, measuring, purchasing, installation. And he is absolutely reliable. I couldn't do without him.
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 20:001 edit
    Multitasking is a myth.
    That's true. No one can literally do two or more things at one time. But in terms of actual involvement, such as a washing machine running through its cycles, one aspect of multitasking is the art of doing something while waiting for something else. It's mostly time management, and there are some subtle and seemingly trivial variations of this. I like to run the hot water until it becomes very hot before using it to preheat my thermos, and while I'm waiting I use the warming water to clean something else. Another aspect is selecting the order in which task are done. Sometimes it can make a big difference (in regard to time and effort) which task is done first or second or last.

This way of doing things may seem trivial and unimportant, but the payoff becomes immediately obvious when you find yourself getting 8 to 10 hours worth of work done in only 4 to 6 hours, and with much less effort. "Multitasking" is basically just old fashioned "efficiency" that has been renamed, to make it sound more modern and important.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 20:19
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    That's true. No one can literally do two or more things at one time. But in terms of actual involvement, such as a washing machine running through its cycles, one aspect of multitasking is the art of doing something while waiting for something else. It's mostly time management, and there are some subtle and seemingly trivial variations of this. I l ...[text shortened]... st old fashioned "efficiency" that has been renamed, to make it sound more modern and important.
    I agree and "time management" really can help reduce the time it takes to accomplish tasks. Another one that seems to sometimes get forgotten is prioritizing.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 21:02
    Did you know that women are actually better in seeing colours. They need to be for me pink is pink is pink, but for my wife there are distinct differnces...
    And it appears that only men can carry a gene for color blindness since it resides on the Y chromosome.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 00:29
    Another one that seems to sometimes get forgotten is prioritizing.
    That's what I meant by "Another aspect is selecting the order in which tasks are done." I could have explained that one but I'm trying to keep my messages down to 4,000 words or less...
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 Oct '13 01:30
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    That's what I meant by "Another aspect is selecting the order in which tasks are done." I could have explained that one but I'm trying to keep my messages down to 4,000 words or less...
    You would seem, with this one, to have accomplished your goal...good on ya.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree