General Forum

General Forum

In vs un

Standard membervivify
General 18 Sep '16 17:27
  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    18 Sep '16 17:271 edit
    Why is it "insatiable" instead of "unsatiable"? Why "indignity" a word, but not "indignified"?

    Is there a rule for "un" vs "in"?
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '12
    Moves
    49551
    18 Sep '16 17:342 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Why is it "insatiable" instead of "unsatiable"? Why "indignity" a word, but not "indignified"?

    Is there a rule for "un" vs "in"?
    Germanic English or Latin English origin of the word.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    18 Sep '16 18:56
    Originally posted by aranya10
    Germanic English or Latin English origin of the word.
    The rule is sometimes unreliable. πŸ˜‰
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    18 Sep '16 18:56
    Originally posted by aranya10
    Germanic English or Latin English origin of the word.
    Insatiable vs unsatisfied?
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    18 Sep '16 21:53
    Originally posted by vivify
    Why is it "insatiable" instead of "unsatiable"? Why "indignity" a word, but not "indignified"?

    Is there a rule for "un" vs "in"?
    Just say what you mean and mean what you say. Nobody around here is going to understand you anyway. πŸ˜‰
  6. Dumnonia
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88303
    19 Sep '16 23:101 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Just say what you mean and mean what you say.
    In another thread you were asked (by another poster) about a little jab you had made, you avoided the question but were pursued on it, finally admitting that you "didn't mean it".
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    20 Sep '16 01:461 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Just say what you mean and mean what you say. Nobody around here is going to understand you anyway. πŸ˜‰
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97123
    20 Sep '16 01:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    What? Trivial pastimes here on RHP? I thought all "pastimes" here were earthshaking and thus anything but trivial. I just may have to reconsider my subscriptioning if that's true.πŸ˜²πŸ™„πŸ˜³
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    20 Sep '16 15:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    Why is it "insatiable" instead of "unsatiable"? Why "indignity" a word, but not "indignified"?

    Is there a rule for "un" vs "in"?
    In the odd possibility you are serious there is this, inlikely as it seams:

    http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/33903/rule-to-determine-when-to-use-the-prefix-im-vs-un-to-negate-a-word-starting
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35770
    21 Sep '16 00:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In the odd possibility you are serious there is this, inlikely as it seams:

    http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/33903/rule-to-determine-when-to-use-the-prefix-im-vs-un-to-negate-a-word-starting
    Or this, inexact as it is:

    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-unv1.htm
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52774
    21 Sep '16 13:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Or this, inexact as it is:

    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-unv1.htm
    I guess this is understandable anywayπŸ™‚ or is it inderstandable?
Back to Top