1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 18:16
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/28/tech/ad-trap-internet-ad-blocker/index.html?hpt=hp_c5

It stops ads before you have to view them on youtube and others.

How long will the ad people allow it to exist?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/28/tech/ad-trap-internet-ad-blocker/index.html?hpt=hp_c5

It stops ads before you have to view them on youtube and others.

How long will the ad people allow it to exist?
    Well ironically they would surely have to advertise the product in order to sell them in such volume that they are a concern to the ad people. Short of denying their own services to this company can the ad people really stop it from existing!?

I would like to hope that simple pragmatism would make it non-viable (which is best: free content and ads you just ignore, or content you will always have to pay for, or no content?)
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 20:26
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well ironically they would surely have to advertise the product in order to sell them in such volume that they are a concern to the ad people. Short of denying their own services to this company can the ad people really stop it from existing!?

I would like to hope that simple pragmatism would make it non-viable (which is best: free content and ads you just ignore, or content you will always have to pay for, or no content?)
    I related situation is happening in cable and sat TV, where you have a TIVO or some kind of recorder and you tape the shows you want a week in advance then whip through the commercials and just watch the show. The nice thing about that is a 1/3 commercial time means you watch an hour show in 40 minutes or so, adding that much more time to your life after a show.

The question there is how long will that be allowed to be legal?
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 23:20
    I've been using adblock for a long time now.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '13 23:44
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I've been using adblock for a long time now.
    For the internet or for TV? How well does it work if it's the internet version? And how can it detect the presence of an ad anyway?
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 00:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For the internet or for TV? How well does it work if it's the internet version? And how can it detect the presence of an ad anyway?
    No I don't use it for TV,
    just here on the internet
    and no sorry I don't know
    how it works.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '13 01:23
    Sky+ has been in the UK and Ireland now for what seems liek a very long time, there you can record and skip through ads as you please. Best intention since the internet. Not that i watch much tv anymore but still...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree