Is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

Is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

General

F

Moves
12 Oct 22

The full question is this:

Without being overly scientific and/or overly beholden to the practical approximations of everyday life, what do you believe: is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

I'm not so fixated on the tomato; I'm more curious about how long the creative conversationalists of the General Forum can keep this thread going.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
12 Oct 22

@fmf said

Without being overly scientific and/or overly beholden to the practical approximations of everyday life, what do you believe: is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit?

I'm not so fixated on the tomato; I'm more curious about how long the creative conversationalists of the General Forum can keep this thread going.
I'm leaning to vegetable.

G

Moves
12 Oct 22

@mchill said
Better have that looked at!

F

Moves
12 Oct 22

@mchill said
Get off the sofa, get rid of the remote control, get rid of the smart phone, and try out some recipes that question your prejudices about the use of tomatoes.

Moves
12 Oct 22

@mchill said
I wouldn’t say your posting was that bad.

Moves
12 Oct 22

@fmf said

Tomatoes are red, and therefore a fruit as there are NO red vegetables anywhere in the world.

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
12 Oct 22
1 edit

They used to call them love apples. I eat them like apples. Fruit.

Moves
12 Oct 22

@divegeester said
Tomatoes are red, and therefore a fruit as there are NO red vegetables anywhere in the world.
Tell that to the color blind.

Moves
12 Oct 22

@kewpie said
They used to call them love apples. I eat them like apples. Fruit.
Weird.

F

Moves
12 Oct 22

@kewpie said
I eat them like apples.
This is hardnose.

F

Moves
12 Oct 22
1 edit

@kewpie said
I eat them like apples.
The fact that scarcely anyone has done this in front of me for 510,527 days is hefty empirical evidence of its rarity and therefore its deviance.

Moves
12 Oct 22

Thumbs down are red and therefore they are fruity.

F

Moves
12 Oct 22

@divegeester said
There are NO red vegetables anywhere in the world.
Given the sheer number of types of vegetables in the world that are NOT red, statistically speaking, the absolutist claim you make here is almost true, which is as good as true, which, put briefly, and rounded up to the nearest whole number, is true.

Felis Australis

Australia

Moves
12 Oct 22
1 edit

Beets.
Red cabbage.
Tomatoes.
Red bell pepper.
Radish.
Red chili pepper.
Radicchio.
Red leaf lettuce.

I'd call some of these purple rather than red, but chili and bell pepper are undeniably red and vegetable. I notice they think tomato is a vegetable.

Here's the weird stuff:
https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tomato-called-a-love-apple.htm

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
12 Oct 22

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting one in the fruit salad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.