the less government the more freedom
    nice myth
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 07:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is less more?
    In music it often is. The silences and spaces between sounds are just as important as the sounds themselves. Erik Satie and Harold Budd are a couple of pianists who exemplified the notion of 'less is more'.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    In music it often is. The silences and spaces between sounds are just as important as the sounds themselves. Erik Satie and Harold Budd are a couple of pianists who exemplified the notion of 'less is more'.
    Ahem.

If "the silences and spaces between sounds are just as important as the sounds themselves", then this is not exactly "less" now, is it?

I'm not disagreeing with the essence of what you say, just that this apparently makes it somehow "less". In the hands of unskilled musicians, silence is often less, yes, but not in the hands of skilled musicians. So it's only "less" in this case to those with an unskilled ear.

So again, "less" is not "more". "More" is "more". Unless you want to introduce the semantics of less "what" is more "what".
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 18:04
    More or less
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "There he became forever known for the epitaph inscribed on his headstone which read,
    "Here lies Lester Moore, four slugs from a .44, no Les, no more". (John "J-Cat" Griffith)

Burial:
    Boothill Graveyard
    Tombstone
    Cochise County
    Arizona, USA
    Plot: Row 6"

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=19899
    I see a lot of postcards come through the post office. Since I'm at the main post office in Phoenix, and tourism is rather big in Arizona, I see a lot of postcards of Arizona, most of them going out of the country from foreign tourists. By far, the most popular are postcards bearing some photo of the Grand Canyon, but I do happen to see postcards with a photo of this exact tombstone in Tombstone, AZ quite often, anywhere from 2-6 a week.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 19:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I see a lot of postcards come through the post office. Since I'm at the main post office in Phoenix, and tourism is rather big in Arizona, I see a lot of postcards of Arizona, most of them going out of the country from foreign tourists. By far, the most popular are postcards bearing some photo of the Grand Canyon, but I do happen to see postcards with a photo of this exact tombstone in Tombstone, AZ quite often, anywhere from 2-6 a week.
    Your a postman (post woman)?
  7. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 19:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    what about john cage?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:21
    If "the silences and spaces between sounds are just as important as the sounds themselves", then this is not exactly "less" now, is it?
    Yes it is because musicians could play more notes in those spaces - and some do - not necessarily to the benefit of what the music they are playing. It's all a matter of taste of course, but a lightening fast shredding guitarist clearly gives him or herself licence to play "more" notes ~ filling up spaces with perhaps as many as possible ~ and yet a guitarist playing "less" notes, and wrapping them around spaces, to my ear will be saying "more" and affecting me "more" by playing "less". I personally find this a lot in a musical realm very dear to my ears and heart: jazz piano trios. There are obviously times for exuberant displays of fast and frenetic chops, but all the great trios know that sometimes "less is more".
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:22
    Originally posted by coquette
    what about john cage?
    Interesting composer. But he's never had much emotional impact on me.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 00:24
    So again, "less" is not "more". "More" is "more". Unless you want to introduce the semantics of less "what" is more "what".
    I am talking about the emotional and aesthetic impact of the musicians' compositions and their performance.
  11. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 01:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am talking about the emotional and aesthetic impact of the musicians' compositions and their performance.
    Is less more

When it comes to your comments...........yes.

The less you post, the more we like it
    😵
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 01:46
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    Is less more

When it comes to your comments...........yes.

The less you post, the more we like it
    😵
    The less that posters hide behind weasely references to "we" and "us" to bolster their opinions, the more chance their banter has of meaning something. 😀
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 01:531 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes it is because musicians could play more notes in those spaces - and some do - not necessarily to the benefit of what the music they are playing. It's all a matter of taste of course, but a lightening fast shredding guitarist clearly gives him or herself licence to play "more" notes ~ filling up spaces with perhaps as many as possible ~ and yet a guitarist pl ...[text shortened]... displays of fast and frenetic chops, but all the great trios know that sometimes "less is more".
    Again, I am not disagreeing, as musicians, especially jazz musicians, have known this to be true since the dawn of music. Few listeners, however, take the time to discern this basic knowledge.

"More" or "less", however, is in the ear of the beholder.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 02:00
    "More" or "less", however, is in the ear of the beholder.
    When I talk about what I like about music - and everything I have said here - then I am the beholder and it is my ear that I am talking about. Did you think I was somehow trying to express your opinion and not my own?
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    10 Nov '15 14:37
    Originally posted by JS357
    You've go us beat in the beer category but not by much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita
    Both of those nations not in the top 10...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree