General Forum

General Forum

  1. rebel city
    Joined
    20 Jun '09
    Moves
    74241
    22 Jun '14 21:59
    It took me a long time to participate. If Russ searched carefully he would know I am malina and Tabs, and maura before that. When I finally started participating in the forums, I was frightened about getting banned for that reason. Then, I stopped caring because I am what I am, and most of all, I needed it, had to play at all costs. Tabitha came by accident out of necessity to feed my addiction, could not afford to renew my sub.

    My point is: it took me a long time to participate in the forums because I felt that it worked like chess, 2 battle fields. It was hard to understand who was on which side.

    I still don't know but I don't care anymore. I have nothing to hide, specially after my exposé above.

    Excuse me but that is my heart talking. 🙂
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Jun '14 22:07
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    It took me a long time to participate. If Russ searched carefully he would know I am malina and Tabs, and maura before that. When I finally started participating in the forums, I was frightened about getting banned for that reason. Then, I stopped caring because I am what I am, and most of all, I needed it, had to play at all costs. Tabitha came by ...[text shortened]... nothing to hide, specially after my exposé above.

    Excuse me but that is my heart talking. 🙂
    To Whom It May Concern: It just so happens that I love honesty and candor. Why? Authenticity is food for the soul. -Bob
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    22 Jun '14 22:21
    It would be common to have mutual friends who do not like each other.
  4. rebel city
    Joined
    20 Jun '09
    Moves
    74241
    22 Jun '14 22:42
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It would be common to have mutual friends who do not like each other.
    Oh yes of course. No one is obliged to like the other but all these years I had this naïve feeling that we were here to play chess and communicate in a friendly manner. Anyway, I am happy to have broken my barriers and discover this community.

    However, I have the feeling that by now I am integrated into one of the fields, not yet sure if I am black or white.

    My problem is that I am Peace & Love.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    22 Jun '14 23:03
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It would be common to have mutual friends who do not like each other.
    "like each other" isn't the issue; it's about live and let live and respect for the privilege of others to express an opinion.
  6. old pueblo
    Joined
    03 Apr '11
    Moves
    12696
    22 Jun '14 23:10
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    Oh yes of course. No one is obliged to like the other but all these years I had this naïve feeling that we were here to play chess and communicate in a friendly manner. Anyway, I am happy to have broken my barriers and discover this community.

    However, I have the feeling that by now I am integrated into one of the fields, not yet sure if I am black or white.

    My problem is that I am Peace & Love.
    Most people here play chess here, or have at one point. For some or many, that is not their main reason for being here. Some enjoy the forum conversations and experience and would participate there whether or not they had any chess skill.

    That said, communicating in a friendly manner is a whole different ballgame. There are many people in the world and on the internet who do not value that. Back when I was on Runescape forever ago, I would get called a noob a lot at first, as if I cared what some 12-year-old thought of my ability to play a computer game. I had some kid here call me a name (that ended in hat) that I guess was supposed to be some sort of insult because I disagreed with him. The internet is a great place for people who feel powerless in real life to feel power. Many people who lack social skills thrive in this sort of setting. Some just plain have a life that's awful and come to the internet for an escape. Others are part of a culture or subculture that ordinarily talks to each other with swearing or hostility. Some people are perfectly nice here but not necessarily so in real life, and the other way around.

    People are what they are. If you want to find a battle ground and choose sides, go for it. It is quite possible to like or dislike people without it being a matter of choosing sides. How I feel about people isn't about what other people here think, even if we are totally in agreement about certain people. That isn't choosing sides; that's having something in common.

    Be who you want. Like the people and posts you like, dislike the people and posts you dislike. Understand that trolls are trolls for a reason, and people are passionate about their points of view for a reason.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    22 Jun '14 23:54
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    Others are part of a culture or subculture that ordinarily talks to each other with swearing or hostility.
    Great point. I am not sure if it's an American Male thing or what. Here's an example from RL.

    Jim: Good morning P*nche Art.
    Me: Hi Jimmy Cabrone.
    Jim: You know what I like about you?
    Me: Not a damned thing?
    Jim: You know me.
    Me: Much to my chagrin.

    That's about the nicest part of any conversation with Jim. We're good friends and have done this since high school. 🙂
  8. old pueblo
    Joined
    03 Apr '11
    Moves
    12696
    23 Jun '14 03:05
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Great point. I am not sure if it's an American Male thing or what. Here's an example from RL.

    Jim: Good morning P*nche Art.
    Me: Hi Jimmy Cabrone.
    Jim: You know what I like about you?
    Me: Not a damned thing?
    Jim: You know me.
    Me: Much to my chagrin.

    That's about the nicest part of any conversation with Jim. We're good friends and have done this since high school. 🙂
    I have a friend like that at work. He's exceedingly polite to people he detests. He's rude and sassy to me (and I dish it right back), and he points out that he's only that way because he likes me (as a person).
  9. old pueblo
    Joined
    03 Apr '11
    Moves
    12696
    23 Jun '14 03:07
    PS -- The forum is quite lively when there are cliques and trolls and flaming arrows flying about.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    23 Jun '14 03:52
    Is it just me, or does a "cl" often look like a "d?"
  11. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Joined
    09 Jun '14
    Moves
    10079
    23 Jun '14 09:03
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    It took me a long time to participate. If Russ searched carefully he would know I am malina and Tabs, and maura before that. When I finally started participating in the forums, I was frightened about getting banned for that reason. Then, I stopped caring because I am what I am, and most of all, I needed it, had to play at all costs. Tabitha came by ...[text shortened]... nothing to hide, specially after my exposé above.

    Excuse me but that is my heart talking. 🙂
    From the book of right on Tabitha.
  12. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    23 Jun '14 09:132 edits
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    It took me a long time to participate. If Russ searched carefully he would know I am malina and Tabs, and maura before that. When I finally started participating in the forums, I was frightened about getting banned for that reason. Then, I stopped caring because I am what I am, and most of all, I needed it, had to play at all costs. Tabitha came by ...[text shortened]... nothing to hide, specially after my exposé above.

    Excuse me but that is my heart talking. 🙂
    I can still remember my first conversation here, it was with huckleberry and it descended into chaos and ribaldry and insults about my mom etc, afterwards we laughed and exchanged some pleasantries because we understand that these things are never intended to be personal, its just what Scots do to each other, we make fun of ourselves and everyone else. Problems arise when the line is crossed by people who fail to grasp the concept and who do get personal. I think the trick is not to take ourselves too seriously.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    23 Jun '14 09:27
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    I have a friend like that at work. He's exceedingly polite to people he detests. He's rude and sassy to me (and I dish it right back), and he points out that he's only that way because he likes me (as a person).
    Sassy, what an awesome word! 😀
  14. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Joined
    09 Jun '14
    Moves
    10079
    23 Jun '14 09:311 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I can still remember my first conversation here, it was with huckleberry and it descended into chaos and ribaldry and insults about my mom etc, afterwards we laughed and exchanged some pleasantries because we understand that these things are never intended to be personal, its just what Scots do to each other, we make fun of ourselves and everyone els ...[text shortened]... arise when the line is crossed by people who fail to grasp the concept and who do get personal.
    my wife works as a cook at Quorn and a lady that works in the sensory department always asks first thing what the f~ck u cooking today Chris and every day my wife replies F#ck off Fiona we only cook Quorn(Fiona has asked Chris when she retires will she pop up to the office a couple of times a week so Fiona can vent her spleen)best pals
  15. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Joined
    09 Jun '14
    Moves
    10079
    23 Jun '14 10:56
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    you should come on a building site with me
Back to Top