1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    19 May '13 18:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Personal Note: Your "are you just name-dropping?" remark appears gratuitous in light of the instability and potential gravity of the geographic context of Eric's six day presence in Tel-Aviv (133 miles from the Syrian Border).
    It does appear gratuitous. doesn't it? But, let me take this opportunity to tell you, once again,
    if you don't mind, about my son, the upper-level high tech genius. He takes after me, of course.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '13 20:114 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy

It does appear gratuitous. doesn't it? But, let me take this opportunity to tell you, once again,
    if you don't mind, about my son, the upper-level high tech genius. He takes after me, of course.
    Quite to the contrary of your sarcastic cheapening of one father's sentiment regarding the safety of his only son abroad, Eric's similarities to me are confined to painstaking intensity; work ethic patience; and genuine kindness. There are obviously no genetic predispositions per se. Eric has excelled in Contact Sports (since we discovered his natural affinity for Ice Hockey the age of five). Heidi, my only daughter (also adopted) has been blessed with an IQ Above 170. She's become a Professional Music Vocalalist and Teacher (having studied in Florida; Eastman in New York; and a Summer Conservatory in Austria). Each has one daughter and two sons; and resides in geographically distant locales.

In virtually every significant career and social aspect, the three of us couldn't be any more interdependently diverse. The only parental credit accrued would be in having gradually let them find and fulfill their respective potentials. Within the loose framework of opportunities provided, these two remarkable children (who continue to amaze us) seized the moment and self determined its direction. God's Grace has blessed us; we neither deserved, nor earned this privilege.

In the light of your limited awareness of any of these facts, until now, this unprovoked sarcastic comment indicates a near total lack of parental empathy or sensitivity to others (a pattern which, in the future, I shall gently ignore). gb
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    19 May '13 23:296 edits
    Originally posted by Phranny
    American broadcast news is controlled by very conservative individuals/corporations and hence the American public is dangerously unaware of politically significant events anywhere. Such a high level of political ignorance is very dangerous. Even NPR seems to be heavy on human interest for the intellectually inclined and much lighter these days on what could be considered international news.
    That might be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard in my life. And further, it flies in the face of reality that you would link public unawareness of significant events to Conservatism. There is but ONE conservative broadcast network of any significance in the USA and it's a cable channel. And I can tell you that on average, the viewers of that channel are leaps and bounds more educated on significant events than the viewers of all the other channels (which are run by Democrats if not outright partisan Progressive Liberals).

You're right though. Today's mainstream media in American falls way short of educating the public on significant events these days. And that's been the case for 5 years straight; ever since Obama took office. Now it's all about dumbing down the already ignorant, pretentious, preoccupied populace, and just report on fluffy, insignificant stuff that doesn't draw unwanted attention to leadership.

The US mainstream media plays a great role as lap dog for our Liberal leadership. But rest assured; those lap dogs will instantly transform into the seething, rabid pit bulls that they are, the moment a Republican takes office as President. It's all about shaping public opinion. And it's working for now. It'll blow up in their face one day.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 May '13 00:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    In the light of your limited awareness of any of these facts, until now, this unprovoked sarcastic comment indicates a near total lack of parental empathy or sensitivity to others (a pattern which, in the future, I shall gently ignore). gb
    Sorry, Bobby, nice try! My grandson plays for the Chicago Blackhawks and teaches astrophysics
    at Harvard in his spare time. My granddaughter has an IQ of 190, writes Broadway musicals and
    plays first oboe for the New York Philharmonic. 😏 😏
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '13 15:46

Sorry, Bobby, nice try! My grandson plays for the Chicago Blackhawks and teaches astrophysics
    at Harvard in his spare time. My granddaughter has an IQ of 190, writes Broadway musicals and
    Thank you.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '13 17:12
    One of our daughters also has an IQ of 170 but she is deceased, lost her life on a motorcycle ride. She was the jewel of our family. We miss her terribly.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '13 17:151 edit
    So your Granddaughter is Liang Wang?

YouTube

YouTube
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 May '13 18:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So your Granddaughter is Liang Wang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hz1p1_w70c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iCJY6RIX0c
    ...until she left to join the space program.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 May '13 18:08
    One of our daughters also has an IQ of 170 but she is deceased, lost her life on a motorcycle ride. She was the jewel of our family. We miss her terribly.
    My sympathy to you and your family.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '13 19:01
    Ah, Sally Ride then.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 May '13 19:21
    Ah, Sally Ride then.
    Hah. That was Lou Reed.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 May '13 15:10
    Before you come up with your BS statements like your granddaughter being first oboe and such, you should at least do a little research and pick an orchestra where the lead Oboist is at least female.

As it is, now you have lost what little street cred you had. Busted.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 May '13 15:17
    Before you come up with your BS statements like your granddaughter being first oboe and such, you should at least do a little research and pick an orchestra where the lead Oboist is at least female.

As it is, now you have lost what little street cred you had. Busted.
    What a bummer! Now you and I are in the same boat.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 May '13 16:16
    What a bummer! Now you and I are in the same boat.
    Sounds Yann Martelish.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree