1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 07:11
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    It all depends on where you happen to be in the world.
    It also depends on when you happen to be in the world.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 07:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    Herenow is a phenomenon in flux😵
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 14:58
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Herenow is a phenomenon in flux😵
    Sometime when you are out walking, have you ever imagined that you are standing still pushing the earth backwards underneath you? You are still, and the earth moves as your feet impel it to. I guess many people have imagined this.

Carry this to an extreme. You turn to go in a different direction. No, it's not you that turns, it is the world, rotating about your vertical axis in the corresponding opposite direction. Of course the laws of physics need to adapt.

What I am getting at is in the you-centric world, you are at the center, you are constant, you are the stillness, even if we must, in the more extreme, expand the imagined external world to include the changes that appear to be to your body or your mind (they become part of what is external to you, along with time and space.)

What is really you?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 15:04
    Sometime when you are out walking, have you ever imagined that you are standing still pushing the earth backwards underneath you? You are still, and the earth moves as your feet impel it to. I guess many people have imagined this.

Carry this to an extreme. You turn to go in a different direction. No, it's not you that turns, it is the world, rotating about you ...[text shortened]... y become part of what is external to you, along with time and space.)

What is really you?
    Reveal Hidden Content
    Your Inner Self, Your Soul.
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 06:23

Carry this to an extreme. You turn to go in a different direction. No, it's not you that turns, it is the world, rotating about ...[text shortened]... they become part of what is external to you, along with time and space.)

What is really you?
    Cool!

Since 1929, thanks to Edwin Hubble we became bit by bit aware of the fact that every galaxy in the sky was moving away from Earth. Observations make clear that the entire universe is expanding; so yes, in a uniform expanding universe every observer is potentially at the centre of the expansion.

When you think of an “observer World that moves whilst the individual stands still”, methinks there would be two motions instead of one: the motion which makes the World a mover and the motion by which the World moves (due to the fact that a distinction between the constitutive and the instantiated properties of the “moving World” cannot be drawn), so we end up with two different motions: the motion that constitutes the “moving World” and the motion that is the property of the “moving World”. However this is untenable, because there is only one motion, the motion of the moving World.

It follows that, since the distinction between constitutive and instantiated properties is absurd, there is no substantial distinction between these properties and hence the conceptualization of such a situation (the moving World) in terms of these is just a result of cognitive convenience.
    In fact, the “moving World” and the “motion” do not exist substantially. All we have is a reflection of the division of its features into constitutive and instantiating properties, therefore a reflection of our pragmatic concerns in conceptualizing the “moving World” -but not a reflection of its intrinsic nature. Methinks the same applies as regards the conception that “the individual is a mover whilst the World stands still”.

Edit: "What is really you?"

I am the one whose vehicle drives him everywhere, and from there to the non-differentiated reality. I refute both existence and non-existence😵
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 06:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [hidden]Your Inner Self, Your Soul.[/hidden]
    My “Inner Self” does not inherently exist because of not being its parts, not being other than its parts, not being in its parts, not being that within which its parts exist, not possessing its parts, not being the composite of its parts and not being the shape of its parts😵
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 16:43
    once upon a time,
    i was driving west...
    i crossed the mountain time zone line,
    and put it to a test...

i got out, checked my casio g-shock atomic watch, and started jumping back and forth across the timeline...

in less than five minutes i was being fired on by one of them drone thingies for violating american principles of sovereignty of time...

my watch busted, too...

good times, good times...
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 20:06
    Originally posted by coquette
    12:30 p.m.
    ¿
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 21:25
    Originally posted by black beetle
    My “Inner Self” does not inherently exist because of not being its parts, not being other than its parts, not being in its parts, not being that within which its parts exist, not possessing its parts, not being the composite of its parts and not being the shape of its parts😵
    I think the self is inferred, not experienced. Interestingly, the same is true for God. This crucially affects how we approach the notion of their existence.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 22:40
    I take it you travel to other planets alot. 😛 😉
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 05:33
    I think the self is inferred, not experienced. Interestingly, the same is true for God. This crucially affects how we approach the notion of their existence.
    "I think, therefore I am." (Rene D.)

Baloney.

"I am, therefore I think." (anon, sort of)
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Mar '13 16:11
    Originally posted by coquette
    12:30 p.m.
    so what is the actual meaning of this time?

My mother used to say, that it was about time I changed...
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 17:24
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    so what is the actual meaning of this time?

My mother used to say, that it was about time I changed...
    and now I even found the unintended double meaning... my motherw as not concerned with my clothing when telling me that.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 18:01
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I think, therefore I am." (Rene D.)

Baloney.

"I am, therefore I think." (anon, sort of)
    Thinking is happening, reifying the idea that I am.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '13 23:00
    Thinking is happening, reifying the idea that I am.
    “I think I am, therefore, I am... I think.” (George Carlin)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree