1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 14:352 edits
    Is there any advice or tips you can share, gleamed from your current employment? (For example, if you're a dentist, the best way to temporarily deal with a lost filling etc).

My own would be in dealing with anxiety. Commonly people with anxiety will 'avoid' stressful situations/environments, which only goes to 'reward' the anxiety and make it harder to overcome/manage. - I currently use a technique of 'habitualisation' and 'extinction' which has proved very successful. The goal here is for an anxiety sufferer to 'tolerate' a stressful situation/environment and resist the urge to avoid/escape, doing so with the understanding that anxiety has a natural ceiling, and that if you can tolerate it long enough will come down to manageable levels. Do this often enough and you will become habitualised to the stress and eventually overcome it entirely. - I often use busy coffee shops with clients to build up this tolerance. (Conveniently, one can also buy coffee there).
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 15:47
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Is there any advice or tips you can share, gleamed from your current employment? (For example, if you're a dentist, the best way to temporarily deal with a lost filling etc).

My own would be in dealing with anxiety. Commonly people with anxiety will 'avoid' stressful situations/environments, which only goes to 'reward' the anxiety and make it hard ...[text shortened]... ee shops with clients to build up this tolerance. (Conveniently, one can also buy coffee there).
    I am currently paid by our government and my advice is, Don't retire, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things people want you to do since you have so much time on your hands. Kidding of course, I love it though I do seem to be well occupied. 🙂
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 21:38
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I am currently paid by our government and my advice is, Don't retire, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things people want you to do since you have so much time on your hands. Kidding of course, I love it though I do seem to be well occupied. 🙂
    Retired?!

Thought you were a young whippersnapper.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 21:48
    Retired?!

I was...many years ago.😀
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '16 21:55
    Retired?!

Seems you're confusing GBS with GB.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 05:34
    Is there any advice or tips you can share, gleamed from your current employment?
    Well on a purely personal level ~ because of the satisfaction it affords me, and assuming that someone else might be interested in the same ethos and work ethic as mine ~ I would perhaps suggest 'do as I do'.

By this I mean [1] work for yourself rather than work as an employee, [2] set your sights on earning a livelihood from a particular skill or talent that you have developed over time and that is relatively rare, [3] try to keep it linked to ~ or in some way actively exercising ~ your core political and philosophical values, [4] make sure it is an activity that you would continue to engage in for intellectual and ideological reasons even if you came into a large enough amount of money to enable you to stop working, and lastly, and to me, quite importantly [5] don't borrow any money in order to do what you do.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 05:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well on a purely personal level ~ because of the satisfaction it affords me, and assuming that someone else might be interested in the same ethos and work ethic as mine ~ I would perhaps suggest 'do as I do'.

By this I mean [1] work for yourself rather than work as an employee, [2] set your sights on earning a livelihood from a particular skill or talent that ...[text shortened]... and lastly, and to me, quite importantly [5] don't borrow any money in order to do what you do.
    Short version: be your own boss, believe in what your customers are engaged in, make sure the work feeds your brain, don't engage in work where you need to take out loans to enable you to do it.
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    29 Jan '16 07:54
    Yeah, sure.

Once the knife is inside, do not pull it back but twist it right and left
    for maximum effect.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '16 14:34
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Yeah, sure.

Once the knife is inside, do not pull it back but twist it right and left
    for maximum effect.
    Be patient...your time, too, will come.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 01:382 edits
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Be patient...your time, too, will come.
    And could be tomorrow: a massive chest pain or a head on automobile collision caused by a drunken driver
    or a drive by shooting or terrorist attack. All any of have are the 24 golden hours we've been given today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree