1. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    15 Mar '20 16:29
    @very-rusty said
    A big thumbs down for you from me on that lemon.

Why must you be like that?

-VR
    buy low sell high
    I'm giving good advice
    why are you giving me a thumbs down?
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '20 17:32
    @lemondrop said
    buy low sell high
    I'm giving good advice
    why are you giving me a thumbs down?
    Just a guess but perhaps, now remember I did say, "Just a guess", he's referring to the markets' downward spiral. 🤔 😲
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Mar '20 17:53
    @great-big-stees said
    Just a guess but perhaps, now remember I did say, "Just a guess", he's referring to the markets' downward spiral. 🤔 😲
    I have never invested in shares, but I assume that as long as you don't sell, no harm is done?
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Mar '20 17:59
    @great-big-stees said
    That is correct GBS!

-VR
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 Mar '20 18:05
    @torunn said
    I have never invested in shares, but I assume that as long as you don't sell, no harm is done?
    the problem is is that if investors are losing money in the stock market they will look for something else to invest in
    depends a lot on your age and whether you can take a big hit
    panic selling does provide a lot of value if you have a long term view
    but if you are long in the tooth
    it's worrisome
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 12:24
    @lemondrop said
    the problem is is that if investors are losing money in the stock market they will look for something else to invest in
    depends a lot on your age and whether you can take a big hit
    panic selling does provide a lot of value if you have a long term view
    but if you are long in the tooth
    it's worrisome
    Depends on just how long your teeth/tooth are/is. It's only a paper loss unless you have to, or need to, sell.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 12:41
    @torunn said
    You have indirectly if you have a pension.
  8. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 13:10
    I know hindsight is 20-20 BUT...

Day traders could see this coming like a freight train. Back in February, you could see that any company doing manufacturing business with china would be in trouble getting product. Apple is a great example. Apple has products that are entirely produced in China.

Also, the entire market in the US went to great heights and was already due for a correction. Said Apple was valued as the world's first $Trillion company back in the fall, and suddenly in January is valued at $1.4 trillion??? Where the heck did that 40% value increase come from? over-optimistic buyers, that's where.

The long and short is, you should have dumped stock in mid-February, the latest. Then it becomes a waiting game. The markets likely will continue to tumble. When it starts to climb back up, buy back your exact same portfolio for a fraction of the cost and enjoy the ride back up. Oh, and buy something extravagant with your profits, even more stock. 🙂 "Buy low, sell high" - strikes again.

Tip of the day,, when the markets recover, buy Tesla stock (TSLA). It's the GM of the future.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 13:16
    @trev33 said
    You have indirectly if you have a pension.
    That may be true - I hope not all of it though.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 13:48
    @torunn said
    That may be true - I hope not all of it though.
    Most likely all of it, that’s why so many lost their pension during the financial crash in 2008. People might not think it but the stock markets are actually pretty important. Unfortunately.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 14:32
    @trev33 said
    Most likely all of it, that’s why so many lost their pension during the financial crash in 2008. People might not think it but the stock markets are actually pretty important. Unfortunately.
    Thank you, I will look into this, I'm curious. My pension consists of two parts - from the state and from my employers.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '20 16:441 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    The long and short is, you should have dumped stock in mid-February, the latest.
    Oh yes, mine hit an all time high around mid feb and in my soul I knew I should have got out but I believed the thought we all have...it will go higher.

Edit I’m in it for the long game (as long I survive the plague) so I’ll just sit on it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree